Budweiser Black Crown | Anheuser-Busch

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by Damian74 on 01-01-2013

Ratings: 1,110 |  Reviews: 208

1.63/5  rDev -42.4%

I tried this a couple months back when my bar's AB rep gave us a sample 12 pack. This beer is being aggressively marketed right now here in Ontario... on television, in magazines, bars and LCs. I haven't noticed it picking up much steam, though, and there's a pretty good reason. It's a pretty bad beer.

Yeah, we get it AB! You're trying to ride the coat-tails of craft brew's success. That's all well and good, but you'll have to come up with something a bit (read "a LOT") better than this. Now, I'm going to review this from memory, as I have NO interest in trying one again, so bear with me.

Poured into a glass, fizzy, dissipating head with huge soda-pop bubbles. No memory of lace, most likely minimal to none. And the smell? Sweet corn.. like a regular bud, but far sweeter.

And MY OH MY THE TASTE!!! I remember all I could think was 'Jesus H.C.... Am I drinking Busch Ice?!'. Now, having just gotten back fro a music festival and camping weekend, there was a lot of cheap, strong brew being slugged. Namely Busch Ice. Bud Crown tasted uncannily like it. It was remarkable, really. With maybe a hint more sweetness from whatever brewer's malt the concoct the stuff with. It's really not that far of a stretch of the imagination to think they're the same base brew.. both AB products, both 6%. Both, uh, pretty gross. But at least Busch Ice is cheap as hell.

Anyways that's my two or three cents, take it or leave, hate it or like, run it or walk it, fry it or bake it, out of the can or out of a glass. Whatever. Just whatever your flavour is, be it craft of macro, stay clean away from Bud Crown. Gross.

---
Life alas is very dear, up with the glass, down with the beer!

2.95/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I got a finger of off-white head over a light amber body. Head dissipates in a minute or so, no lacing detected.

Smells grainy, sweet, almost has a chemical smell to it.

Sweet and grainy. A little hint of caramel is tucked in there. Tastes better than expected.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. Quite refreshing.

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%

3.75/5  rDev +32.5%

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%

1.97/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

oh god, was I really thinking this had a chance at being better??
actually, it IS almost drinkable.... pour pi$$ urine yellow (?more yellow than the kirin I just had) . . . . smell is non-existent.... taste is . . . . geez, whatever.... I so wanted to be a part of that commercial where everybody is drinking the black crown and saluting the guy at the head of the table.... oh well, never mind.... barf. but I think I just MAY be able to finish this one if I hold my nose and guzzle . . . . .

2.79/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Blue Cactus Ottawa for $7

Appearance - Clear amber/copper colour with an average size off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, corn, caramel

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, and very light hops. There is also some corn and a graininess.

Overall - Hey, it's a step in the right direction for BMC drinkers I guess. Really boring taste wise and not something I'd have any reason to order again.

1.5/5  rDev -47%

4.5/5  rDev +59%

3.29/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly transparent amber color with a white head that dissipates quickly. Small amount of lacing. Smell a faint smoky aroma. Has a light body feel in the mouth with the taste of grain and some sweetness. Almost no bitterness of hops. After taste of smokey gran is very good. Goes down smooth. Over all a good beer and wish I had another.

3.75/5  rDev +32.5%