Budweiser Black Crown | Anheuser-Busch

Added by Damian74 on 01-01-2013

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,115 |  Reviews: 209
2.79/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I really wanted to not like this brew because as we all know Budweiser is not a quality product, but I tried a few at my fantasy football draft and I was pleasantly surprised. While I will not call this beer a quality beer, I enjoyed them and was able to finish them before they got lukewarm. The beer is very average looking for a lager, all the typical signs of a lager, the aroma is slightly above par for a lager and it pours with just the right amount of head and lace. A bit over carbonated, but not to the point of rejection. Where this beer fails is the strong aftertaste it leaves in your mouth, kind of sour and pungent, but not the worst beer in the world. I would not recommend spending your money on this beer, but if you are at a friends house and they have some, give it a try!

1.75/5  rDev -35.9%

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

3.75/5  rDev +37.4%

2.88/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

355ml tall slim can, called just Budweiser Crown in Canada, for some reason (it does sound like something Molson or Labatt would produce for far-flung regional offerings, or something). Picked up a single of this at the big behemoth box store in the general deep suburban area - so not exactly the 'hood.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden amber colour, with two fat fingers of puffy, foamy, and tightly bubbly off-white head, which leaves some decent drooping curtained lace around the glass as it evenly dissipates.

It smells of semi-sweet, very mildly toasted caramel malt, a bit of mushy apple and overripe pear fruitiness, and soft, faintly spicy earthy hops - I'm getting the suggestion of coriander or nutmeg here, weirdly. The taste is much more bland, generic caramel malt, with more than a touch of wet cardboard pithiness, a subdued, indistinct, and somewhat acrid day-old fruit salad sweetness, and earthy, somewhat leafy, but also weedy and vegetal, hops.

The bubbles are present in decent enough numbers, and never really taking any chances beyond a timid frothiness, the body on the lee side of medium weight, and mostly smooth, in a plain-Jane, white-bread sort of manner. It finishes off-dry, the neutered caramel malt straggling along, while a small alcohol astringency arises, and the fruit and hops head for the nearest exit, heads down, and tails between their legs.

Amber lagers and ales are already a blighted by ennui style, so of course AB-Inbev would choose this as their next attempt at craft beer 'legitimacy' for the US market (uttered with only an iota of cynicism). Not bad, I suppose, and much, much more malty than their standard fare, even the short-lived American Ale of a few years back, if memory serves. It's just that, while malty is good, it just seems like the hops should be treated with the same respect, maybe? Baby steps, I guess, and I'm certain that Bud knows and thus caters to their target market's predilection for all things sweet.

2.75/5  rDev +0.7%

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

2.25/5  rDev -17.6%

2.15/5  rDev -21.2%

Black Crown Pours a clear golden color with a nice large head, and nice carbonation. Smells likes ass and soap. Taste is very soap and damp. Poor flavors make it undrinkable. Overall its not the worst offering from there, but the taste is just not there.

3.64/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Black Crown, I like the name, and I like the bottle. I've never cared for Budweiser, but I admit I got this for the old school look of the label.

Poured into small lager mug. The appearance, more dark gold, then amber, nice though.

The smell is sweet, not very heavy, but the sweetness stands out.

1st taste, sweet malt fron start to finish. the aftertaste is what can I say....very sweet. As the beer warms....sweeter yet. Sweet malt, little too no hop flavor. One thing that stands out is the smooth, very little carbonation effect. Smooth like the label says.

I tried this months ago when it first came out at a tavern, but couldnt remember. I'am happy I picked it up. I could easliy drink a few of these even with the sweetness, a hard to describe heavy, but not candy sweet taste. The higher alcohol I think helps it a bit.

A good backyard grillin beer, went good with chili. Easy drinkin working class lager, when you want something heavier than Budweiser, or Miller. Good price.

3.25/5  rDev +19%

1.6/5  rDev -41.4%

Like the open minded person I claim to be, I grabbed this in a mix and match run. less than two bucks, can't be a waste, right? well....

A - terrific amber color is about the only thing this one truly has going for it. head was fizzier than a bottle of soda and literally completely disappeared. COMPLETELY. I have never EVER had a head vanish without even a trace. I could not believe it

S - moderately nice crisp lager smell, light malt tones and citrusy grass.

T - Oh. my. god. This instantly shot up to the top of my list for THE most disgusting beer I have ever tasted in my life. Beer30 and regular Budweiser are masterpieces in comparison. overwhelming cooked veggies with a punch of sawdust behind it. no discernible hops. no toasty malt that I'd expect with a beer this color. foul. foul foul foul.

M - heavy and sticky in a bad way. just perpetuates the taste. had to drink water to get it all to go away.

O - even given the color, which at this point I can safely say could even be artificial, I cannot recommend this beer at all. to beer nerds, to regular Bud fans, to people looking to branch out, to anyone looking to try something new. No reason to recommend this. If this is an attempt on Bud's part to reach out into the craft world with its "beechwood aging" and the like, they need to rethink it. hell, American Ale was a great beer that I can't even find anymore. They should reinvest in that and just leave this one to rot.

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%