Budweiser Black Crown | Anheuser-Busch

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Reviews: 206 | Ratings: 1,094
3.06/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Born on Nov. 20, 2012.

Served in tulip, same glass I'm drinking everything out of tonight.

Appear to have an amber colored body that isn't quite as brilliant as the Bud Light Platinum. However, it still is very clear and shows off a steady stream of bubbles rising up from the center of the glass. Seriously, the head on this beer is crazy. Solid off-white head that sticks around and is legit leaving lacing down the glass. Seriously.

The aroma is very faint. What is there is nothing special either. If I agitate the beer enough I can get a grainy, sort of Budweisery aroma, which I swear is that Beechwood-agin shit. They say it doesn't give any aroma or flavor, but I don't believe that.

Flavor is much better than the aroma. It has some bitterness to it, a little up front, and more towards the finish. Across the mid-palette, there is a very light sweetness, a touch of caramel. Very well-balanced beer.

This beer has a light body, with crisp carbonation at first that softens throughout the glass. The finish is a lingering bitterness, but not over the top. It has a sweetness to it that keeps it in balance.

I was mostly impressed with the appearance here. Good looking beer for real. I think the aroma could be seriously improved and the hop character could be more defined, and then we would be talking a seriously amazing beer. Would I buy this again? Maybe.

2.42/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Once again, Anheuser Busch is putting the bucket down the well. This times it send down Budweiser Black Crown, but what will show up once the bucket is pulled back up? The label looks clean, but to answer the question of what's inside, let's open the...errr....black crown and move on to the beer:

A little paler than orange is the color with hues of amber mixed in, depending on the lighting of the room. Bunches of carbonation bubbles race to the top, where a small fuzzy soapy head sits on top and slowly eats away at itself. Tiny dots of lace stick around as the liquid contracts. The smell actually borrows some notes from its stablemate Budweiser; clean with a fruity rice note. Or is that the yeast? Either way, it's not very exciting.

Take Budweiser, add a little more body, a little more overall flavor, and of course, a little more alcohol. The malt has a sweet potato accent to it. Vague fruitiness. Is there rice in there, because there is this note which I've tasted in Budweiser which I'm tasting here. The flavors aren't working together, nor particularly well. The alcohol makes its presence known, not so much in the mouth, but in the chest. The body is light with a wateriness to it, with big bubbles exploding on the palate.

Uninspiring. For an amber lager, I was hoping to get a little more out of it. And if I'm looking for an Anheuser Busch product to drink, does Michelob still make their porter and dunkelweizen?

3.03/5  rDev +7.1%

Purchased, but not by me...12oz bottle into a Sam Smith pint nonic...

A: Clear amber gold; surprisingly better head and retention than any BMC I've seen.

S: Instant sweetness, caramel and brown sugar...hints of something that could be beechwood? Clear malty grain and sweetness, but maybe made more potent by my assumption that this would just be any other Bud.

T: Amped up Bud - clear caramel notes malt, tang of graininess and crisp lager yeast. Clean body, with a hint of an earthy hop spice maybe?

MF: Adequate light/medium body...carbonation is right about where it should be.

O: Surprised; wouldn't buy this one but I'd choose it hands-down over a myriad of other BMC options.

4.88/5  rDev +72.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Really good stuff. I am close to 60 years old; I can no longer drink any beer with live yeast in it due to an enlarged prostate. Which really blows; I love IPAs and hoppy hoppy beer. Hoppy beer makes me happy. So unless, I want to walk around with a catherer inserted; I need to drink pasteurized beer. Budweiser got this one right. It tastes good. It has a kick. And I can pee afterwards. Bravo Budweiser.

4.24/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

No reason to be a beer snob about this one. It is one of the better macro brews I can think of. A good, but not complex aroma and taste. At first sip I worried a bit about the slight sweetness but that faded as I continued. I would definitely try again ... one of the better value beers I've encountered in a while.

3.21/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured into a mug at slightly-warmer-than-fridge temperature.

L – Deep gold color with a 2-finger bubbly, white head that fades relatively quickly into a thin cap of fizzy bubbles on top of the beer. Some patchy lacing. Clear with lots of bubbles. I’d like to see a slightly darker color, but the head retention was actually better than I was expecting.

S – Caramel, grainy, and slightly bready malt with some corn. Smells similar to Budweiser but it certainly has more of a caramel presence.

T – Sweet caramel, toasted bread, and cereal, grainy malts along with some corn at mid-taste-to-finish. The taste is certainly muted but much better than I was expecting.

F – Light-bodied with lots of carbonation, a crisp and clean mouthfeel, and a mildly sweet and dry finish. The 6% ABV is completely unnoticeable.

O – This beer was much better than I was expecting and is really not bad at all. It’s lighter and more toned-down than good amber lagers, but I was expecting a lot less from AB InBev. It’s extraordinarily drinkable, especially at 6%, and very refreshing. For what it’s supposed to be, it’s actually quite good. I would definitely take this over other BMC offerings.

3.19/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

I was surprised by this beer. In a straight BCM bar this was a standout. Wood drink again. Had a good time playing pool. I was beaten by a guy using a broomstick for a pool cue.

Seriously, If you find yourself fuct in a MBC desert, try this one. Threre is some flavor there if you look really hard. i give it fours for taste an mouthfeel because in comparison to my other options tonight it went above and beyond. Wood drink again.

3.18/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked this up as part of a mix-a-six at Giant in Linglestown, PA, enjoyed chilled in a Nonic.

The color is dark golden bordering on light amber with decent clarity and ample white cream with tiny beading and lace collection on the glass with good retention.
The smell has a sweet bready aroma with mild biscuit and light yeast aroma with subtle fruit. The feel is semi-dry at first with semi-high carbonation and light creamy texture with gentle sweet and semifull finish with smooth feel in general.

This lager tastes decent with generally light malt but only the slightest toasted grain taste and low hop flavor with some gentle yeast and subtle alcohol with generally bready taste and grainy with slight sweet adjunct type sweet flavor, but not as full flavored as you might expect from a 6% lager. Overall a no frills stronger than average lager for this brewery with ease of drinkability but not abundantly flavorful, I would probably pass unless it was given to me.

3.47/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this before from a bottle, but enjoyed it more from a can. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some malts. Taste is malts, caramel, light hops, refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.34/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Budweiser Black Crown. I had to pick this one up and give it a try. 'Distinctively Smooth, Beechwood Finished'. 6%. Poured into a pint glass of my liking.

One finger of white head. Holds a bit. Fizzes with sound. Light copper gold color with pristine clarity. Lots of little bubbles climbing.

Has a toasty grain character to the nose. Some adjunct-iness. Wafery in the malts. Slight scent of a grassy hop. Not bad, really. Definitely reminds me of regular Budweiser, though.

Spicy and clean with a more prominent fusel booze note. Tastes very cereal. A very light woodiness that's hard to even mention, but I like it. Caramel malts work well here. Some corn is noted and it mixes in with the sweetness. It's still far from harsh, quite the opposite. Very smooth.

Has a piquancy to it. Brushy carb accentuates it. The body is nothing to talk about, but the smoothness behind the rush of carbonation is nice. Quite refreshing.

A new favorite BMC beer. I could actually see myself downing a few of these on a spring afternoon. If the price is right, I'd actually consider going halfsies on a case.

2.24/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The latest attempt for Budweiser to branch out. I liked the American ale or lager (I forget what it was) that they had a few years back better. This was mediocre at best, and I would much rather have had a Bud.

This wasn't exactly terrible, but it was middle of the pack for an American Amber Lager. That is not saying much since there are tons of this style of beer available in my market from brewpubs to microbrews, and many of them are indistinguishably. I am starting to call this style "house beer" because it is becoming the new generic.

This beer was totally unmemorable. I am not going to just slam it outright because it is a big brewery trying to get into the craft market, it is a decent effort; it is just that there is nothing really going for this beer.

The flavor was lacking a crisp finish that I have come to expect with amber lagers, and there was a little too much body to the taste. There is a definite caramel flavor going on which makes the flavor alright, but nothing to write home about.

One thing I really did not like about this beer is the fact that I already know it is going to fail. Absolutely no one is going to buy this beer on a regular basis, because people that like adjunct lagers are going to dislike it, and people that are too refined and close minded that already hate it because it is a Budweiser product will never even give it a chance. The fact is, is that Black Crown is not really any different than the myriad of craft brews popping up all around right now that feature an American amber lager, and I am absolutely positive that in a blind taste test, no one could tell one apart from the other.

I will say that the smell is okay, the taste is not really bad or good, and the color is a reddish one. Outside of that, there is not much going on here but it does hold up to other beers that are exactly like it.

2.96/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Decent golden color, good foam, some lacing.

Smell: Sweet caramel, and not much else.

Taste: Sweet and mild, with no hop presence at all. There is nothing here to offend, but not much to taste either.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than expected, not much of an aftertaste.

The Verdict: Average. It’s affordable with a higher ABV than most macrobrews, making it an acceptable session beer I suppose. The alcohol may even sneak up on you given the light taste and mouthfeel.

FWIW, this was Batch 91406 from Bud’s Project 12 last fall. This was my review of 91406: An amber lager finished on beechwood chips. If you close your eyes and pay close attention, you can catch the hint of woodiness. Drinkable, with nothing to insult your palate.

1.03/5  rDev -63.6%

I'm sorry guys, but this one is something I will never buy again.
The best thing I can say about it is that I can taste the beachwood aging. But it all goes terribly wrong from there. No other taste worth mentioning. No real smells (which I suppose could be a good thing). Mouthfeel... Ok, it was carbonated. Perhaps not as much as a usual AB beer.

Anyhow, I expect this one to fade from the market quite quickly.

3.61/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Budweiser Black Crown
12 oz. bottle, "BORN ON DATE 09JAN13 MB49"

Budweiser's new Black Crown pours a clear amber body with golden highlights and an orange cast beneath a frothy head of white foam. The head retention is good, and it leaves some nice spots and splashes of lace as it goes.

The aroma expresses sweetish malt with some juicy, apple-like fruitiness and a sprinkling of light hops. The hops are very lightly spicy, and even more gently grassy.

In the mouth it's medium-light in body with a very fine, median carbonation that leaves it delicately crisp, and then smooth across the palate.

The flavor offers a light bit of caramel malt with an undertone of toastiness, and a suggestion of oak. More of the fruitiness found in the nose is present, and it's balanced by a delicate background of spicy and grassy hops. It appears a bit sweetish up front, but it dries in the finish with a lingering note of delicate spice. Unusual for an A-B product, I find it a little unbalanced. It seems just a tad too bitter and dry.

2.86/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a clear, amber color. 3/2 inch head of a white color. Great retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong adjunct, sweet malt, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of an American Amber / Red Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable metallic quality. Tastes of strong adjuncts, slight sweet malt, slight pale malt, and a hint of hop. Overall, decent appearance and feel, but the aroma and body are negatively affected by the presence of adjunct.

3.29/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Born on Jan 08, 2013.

A - Pours a golden amber body. One finger of white foam dissipates quickly leaving behind zero head.

S - Sweet corn, touch of malt. Not sure what else, just predominantly sweet.

T - Again with the sweet corn. Finishes nearly dry with a lingering stale bready malt flavor. Not bad actually.

M - Thin but spritzy.

O - Not as bad as I was expecting. An improvement over standard Bud and the Platinum, but I won't be buying this again.

2.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Took a small sample of Jeff's - gotta try everything I guess. Pours a golden-amber hybrid with stunning clarity and a head that fizzles away almost before I'm done pouring my damn sample. Looks similar to a regular Bud, though a darker shade - more amber than straw. Definitely looks better, though. The aroma is... almost nonexistent. Took me three or four really big whiffs to really pull anything from this one, and when I did - it still wasn't that great. Graininess, lightly toasted caramel malts, musky and grassy hops, metal. Had slightly more sustenance than a Budweiser, but what is that really saying?

The taste was different, to say the least. Heavy crispiness from the carbonation, followed by some corn, grains, light caramel, wet/sour wood, and an extremely light hop character, with an almost astringent bitterness in the aftertaste (albeit a very low bitterness). Tastes like someone mixed a Budweiser with a 6-month old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Honestly. It was like a pale ale that was left sitting on the shelves and much of the hop character has died out, leaving behind mild hop flavor with some light, toasted malts. But this beer still had that distinct "Budweiser twinge" to it. Sounds ridiculous, I know. But try it and tell me I'm not right. Must be the beachwood aging? Crisp mouthfeel, light and airy on the palate.

Final verdict? Better than Bud Light, Budweiser, and the rest of the lot, but still nowhere near good enough to require a second purchase.

3.03/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a translucent reddish amber with a small head that dissipates very quickly. Smells of water, some darker malt, not much of anything. Tastes of slightly caramel malt, a little of hops, but watery. Beer is carbonated heavily and very drinkable. Overall, this beer is not good, but not bad, just average.

3.04/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.25

A - Poured a dark amber with a thick head that seemed to stick around for the first few minutes. Great color, kinda surprised by it, was expecting something bright yellow light regular Budweiser, but the deep amber is definitely a step in the right direction.

S - Doesn't have much of a smell. Picking up on some malt and some hop bite, but other than that, nothing stands out.

T - For a macro brew, it's really not that bad. Good, smooth taste with some sweetness and bite, and a rather complex palate too, especially for a macro brew. Picking up some corn muffin, a little sugary cereal, a hint of earthiness, and maybe even a little bit of citrus/sour. Definitely interesting.

M - Beer. Feels like beer, nothing too special here.

O - Definitely impressed by Budweiser for stepping up their game by making a stronger craft wanna-be beer. I hope they continue the experimentation, because compared to the rest of their lineup, this one's pretty good.

1.74/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Acquired as part of a 12 pack at my local Von's grocery store. I bought it with a coupon but I can't recall the price. "Golden amber lager." 6.00% confirmed. Expectations are as low as low can be. Born on January 12th, 2013. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with a twist-off pressure cap and a black and gold sleek label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. I'd serve this into a pilsner glass, but the one I have is dirty and I'm not expecting this to be anything worth giving that kind of attention to.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with a 75 cent frozen pizza (Totino's, if you must know).

A: Pours a one finger head - quite thin - without any cream or froth, and of bad (~30 second) retention. No real lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a clear translucent copper with a vague amber hue. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It's not much to look at, but it looks better than many other Budweiser beers I've seen. There are no huge flaws.

Sm: I'm surprised; it has a pleasant floral hop aroma with a healthy dose of caramalt filling out the body. Nicely sweet. Heavy banana, actually. Grassy and grainy. It comes off too sweet but I'm pleasantly surprised by the aroma; there seems to be actual flavour in this beer judging by the smell. Still, it's artificial and kind of a turn-off. A bit medicinal, even, like a honey-banana cough medicine - if such a monstrosity exists. An above average strength aroma.

T: Overly sweet. Artificial. Bleh. Artificial banana. Floral hop extract syrup. Artificial caramalt forming the body. No grains or grassiness in the flavour, just blandness and sugar. And corn adjunct. Medicinal and candy like. Ugh. Neutral nutty notes in the third act, but not nutty in a brown ale sense; more a muted chestnut. It's balanced in its poor character. No complexity or subtlety at all. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I think I might actually prefer the bland watery taste of ordinary Budweiser; this is just too sweet and crappy.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Carbonation is a bit overdone but acceptable. Palate presence is okay. It's artificial and far too syrupy. Suits the flavour profile alright.

Dr: Far less drinkable than ordinary Budweiser or Bud Light; I'd definitely vomit faster if I played beer pong with this stuff. I was surprised it's as bad as it is, but if I had to pick out a decent characteristic it'd be the caramalt, which at least lends it a decent aroma. Hides its ABV well. Not at all recommended.

High F

2.26/5  rDev -20.1%

Very disappointed with this beer. At best, an average lawnmower beer for the summer. But there are enough of these. The manufacturer led me to believe that this was something better than average. So, my money didn't go to Stone, Dogfish Head, Drakes, or any other smaller but better brewery. So, I'm the sucker. You don't need me to convince you what you'll achieve by drinking this. Good luck.

3.18/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Brilliantly clear golden-amber color. One finger of creamy white head retains better than expected, though it does settle eventually. Thin slip of lacing slides back down into the beer, leaving only a thin ring.

S: Very clean nose; corn, slightly husky grain backing, very muted grassy hops, and the Budweiser house yeast. Nothing about it pops or sets it apart.

T: Corn opens. Husky grain and a bit of musty yeast begin to build. Token light fruitiness from the Bud yeast too. Perhaps a bit of dry wood. Abrupt, drying finish of corn and grain husk.

M: Light body. Moderate carbonation. Creamy and smooth enough. It has more substance to it than Bud and Bud Light, for sure.

O: It's a notch above AB's base product line, but still very safe, bland, and indistinct in the end.

2.84/5  rDev +0.4%

Crystal clear light amber body with a thin, bubbly head. The aroma came across lightly sweet; bright and sharp in a subdued fruity way; chewing gum. Light cereal and grain flavor with a relatively aggressive hop bitterness. Light , clean, crisp, dry finish with a noticeable hop bite at the finish.

The Budweiser web site says this is a "smooth drinking" amber lager, but I wouldn't go quite that far. There is an almost sharp and metallic "twang" to this beer overall, both in taste and feel. It's certainly not the worst of things, yet hardly appealing (to me) in a generic lager style. There's not much balance or real taste treats to be found in this offering. In fact, I'd much rather have a Budweiser than a Black Crown. No, AB did not come up with a winner with this one...

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

22oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Clear pale amber with a small bubbly white head. Noticeably darker than regular Bud.

S - Sweet corn, light bready malt, and faint grassy hops.

T - Light and sweet. Caramel malt, corn, and some yeast breadiness. Almost no hop flavor or bitterness. Much less 'rice' flavor than the other Bud varieties, which is somewhat of an improvement. Finishes sweet with toasted grain and a slight cardboard-esque flavor.

M - Light body, smooth but a little too watery. Crisp, high carbonation, slightly dry finish.

O - The good news is that it's better than regular Budweiser, but it falls short of being a flavorful, balanced lager. There's just too much sweetness and no hop presence. It's not terrible, but definitely not something I would purchase again.

2.81/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Saw the ad during the Super Bowl. Figured I would try it when it presented itself for free at some point, and it did. Nephews' birthday party yesterday, brother in law had some, so I gave it a shot. Side poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours pretty similar to most other macro lagers, such as Budweiser, its namesake. It is just a little darker than most macros. Head is about a half finger of soapy suds, retention is minimal. No lacing.

Smell - A sweet caramel, a bit of breads and toastiness. Certainly a departure from the average macro metallic scent of grains and massive advertising campaigns. Pretty standard fare

Taste - Actually not that bad, a lot better than I expected. I have seen on some of the other reviews that it is compared to a poor mans Boston Lager, which is pretty accurate. A little bit of breads, some malts, and a hint of sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Just like Budweiser. It just finishes, really doesn't leave any kind of aftertaste. It finishes like water.

Overall - If you go in with an open mind, it really isn't that bad. Could be used as a bridge beer for macro drinkers into craft. I wouldn't buy it, but if it's free I'd certainly drink it again.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch