Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

Added by Jason on 01-10-2013

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

3.95/5  rDev +27.4%

A-Hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly and left a small lace
S-like a granny smith apple
T-smells like a sweet red apple with a honey aftertaste that hasa wheat background
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-it smell like a granny smith apple, then taste like a sweet red apple that end up leaving a honey aftertaste

3.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of apple Jolly Rancher candy are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has flavors similar to an apple Jolly Rancher, except that there is a bit of wheat flavors.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but tastes more like a candy than a Belgian-inspired wheat beer.

4.25/5  rDev +37.1%

1.25/5  rDev -59.7%

3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

3.75/5  rDev +21%

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

My heart goes pitty-pat when I see new CANs to further The CANQuest (TM) and I was kind of excited to see CANs of this during my Saturday day trip to Brooklyn and Manhattan. I am like a neo-hippie for CANs in that I will try anything once!

From the CAN: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor." Well, they have not changed their tune much in nine months, but no longer is agitation required.

The Crack was not as loud as with some CANs, but neither was it brimful, which may be a CANtributor. An inverted Glug produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = 7) and no agitation had been necessary. The nose was rich with sweet apples and I have to agree with a previous reviewer that it seemed to have a LOT in common with cider. The mouthfeel was very thin with only a mild effervescence being discernible. I was reminded of the hard cider that my maternal grandparents would produce with freshly pressed apples from their upper lot. I was also curious about the spices since they too were indiscernible. Perhaps I drank one too many Pumpkin Ales this year, but I was not getting much in the way of spice from this. Finish was sweet, downright sweet and really more than I wanted. I am going to second this as a potential alternative to a hard cider, but with so many hard ciders hitting the market now, I would have to wonder why bother?

My original, bottle review, dtd 03-05-2013 follows:

Once more, my neighbors had an oddball sixer on the shelf and I decided to split it between my uncle and a colleague. I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining brew and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

As a previous reviewer noted, despite heavy agitation and an aggro pour, I still only developed a pinky finger of eggshell-white head. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose smelled of apple cider, so points for truth in advertising. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it had a very apple cider flavor in the mouth. The spices lent it an apple pie quality, and it was actually pretty good. Finish was semi-sweet with the spices keeping it from being an outright sugar bomb. This one and the other of my share will be just about the right amount for this hophead. It was a novelty and I do not regret my purchase, but two is enough.

2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

I wasn't expecting such a sweet taste. It reminds me of Redd's. As for the smell I thought it smelled pretty good for an apple beer. The mouth feel is the best rating a gave. It feels so nice and smooth: moderate carbonation.

Overall: I have had worse.

2.23/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from bottle into a cup. Didn't expect to like it. Appearance is a brownish yellow with a surprisingly thick head. Smell was unappealing. Taste was too artificial. Strong apple, little wheat. Mouthfeel was the best quality of this beer. Overall: drank half and got a stomach ache.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch