Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

Added by Jason on 01-10-2013

Reviews: 133 | Ratings: 856
4.82/5  rDev +52.1%

I am drinking this beer right now as I'm writing this review and even though I'm still a novice when it comes to beer, I can say this is easily my favorite beer. Very smooth, easily drinkable and great taste. Not bitter at all. It's definitely something I'll have to buy more often.

1.58/5  rDev -50.2%

Up front the smell was okay, not so bad. Mouth feel was what you would expect from a cider of this type; a bit dry, nothing special. Now the taste: Okay, either I just got a bad bottle, or this clearly just isn't my thing, but this was awful; I couldn't even get half the bottle down. Would not try again.

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

3/26/13

Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat: 5.2%, half cider/half beer; Appearance: very hazy peach; Smell: pretty strong honeycrisp apple; Taste/Mouthfeel: good amount of honeycrisp apple, crisp, slight apple skin; pretty good.

Poured into a pint glass.

1.21/5  rDev -61.8%

Got this as part of a sampler pack with Shock Top's Lemon shandy and Belgian white.

No comment on appearance since I did not really note the color when I had this (late review). In terms of smell the only thing I can think of to describe it is jolly rancher green apple. Overly sweet, artificial, and overpowering. Smelling it is almost like doing a rail of "apple" flavored sugar cocaine. No hint of beer at all. More of a juice than anything. If you made me smell this and didn't tell me what it was I would think It was some new sugary kids drink. The taste is just as overpoweringly sweet. Think candy juice spiked with sugary. I will try and finish just about everything and I like my sweets just as much as the kid down the street, but to me this is just too much. Almost didn't finish this. Have a few more bottles laying around that I unfortunaly may pour down the drain.

3.05/5  rDev -3.8%

I bought a six-pack of Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat in a grocery store. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a pale yellow color, cloudy, about like pineapple juice.

Smell is decidedly apple. An authentic apple aroma and not much else. More of a juice arma than a beer.

Taste is a tart apple flavor, with a hint of cereal flavor in the background. Mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel is as crisp and clean as thin apple cider.

Overall not terrible, but not great. It might be competing with the apple ales (Red's) and apple ciders (Angry Orchard) on the market.

3.61/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very pale apple juice. No foam, but there is some crisp carbonation.

Smell: Refreshing apple and a hint of sweet caramel; a great combination. Doesn't really smell like beer though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hard apple cider with some caramel malt in the background so you get the idea is it beer. Has a champagne flavor to it due to the yeast. Honestly, I found this very enjoyable, even as it warms a bit. Mouthfeel starts crisp but is a bit too sugary as it warms.

Overall Drinkability: A decent fall beer.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Darker amber in color with an off white head. Mild lacing.

Smell: I could definitely smell apple, some hops were present too.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste almost too sweet for a beer, all sugary apple with some bitter hops to off set it.

Overall: Not the best beer I have ever had, not by a long shot. I would say that this was better than Shipyard's Applehead, but I think if I am going to buy something apple, I will just buy a good hard cider.

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is really for people who may like that apple taste to their beer. I bought the Shock Top variety case and this one was part of the batch. The best way to describe this beer was like drinking a Jolly Rancher Apple. I feel it smelled like a jolly rancher too. I personally didn't like it but some other people may love it. I just gave it an average rating to be fair. I didn't like it.

3.27/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nose, sweetness and wheat are prevalent, could have told you what it was without seeing the bottle, very good job on that, smells exactly like what it is.

Color, amber, looked very nice, was excited to take first taste.

Palate, disappointing...nothing wrong with it really, it tastes exactly like how it should, excellent blending in fact...I just now don't think cider belongs in a wheat beer, I think blending it with a light ale would have done better.

3.67/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours hazed yellow with a think head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of candied apple, honey and wheat. Smells as it should, and pretty powerfully.

The taste is of sweet and sour notes - honey and apple with a clean finish.

It is crisp with a fuller side of light bodied. Not watery or fizzy.

This is a nice, crisp, easy-drinking, appley, honey-ish brew.

1.46/5  rDev -53.9%

I only have a few beers a month, so I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, this is one of the very few beers I have had that I would rate as genuinely awful -- bad enough to warrant my first full review (woo-hoo!). I cannot make a hard and fast assessment of the color, appearance, or lacing, as I had this straight from the bottle. The dominant, pervasive, and lasting impression, both smell and taste, is that of an alcoholic Jolly Rancher, the green apple flavor. I have had the regular Shock Top Belgian Wheat in the past and found that to be an acceptable brew in the face of limited options, so I was pretty disappointed by this variant. A hint of fruit flavor is nice, but the Anheuser-Busch people went way over the top on this one. I won't be giving it a second chance.

Shock Top Honey Apple Crisp has a thin, quickly-dying head, a dark golden, apple juice appearance, with lots of bubbles (etched tasting glass), and not much lacing left behind. The aroma and taste are of apple flavor, sugar, and children’s sugary breakfast cereal. Mouthfeel is heavy and chewy, and Shock Top Apple Crisp finishes sweet and chunky. Overall, this will appeal to those who prefer sweet, flavored beer-based products, and will be hated by those who prefer the traditional taste of beer.

RJT

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

I had this on tap at the brewery in st Louis, and it actually is really fantastic. it has a nice golden glow and some mild haze beneath a good sized white head. the nose is fresh apples, half way between juice and cider, its really nice because its all fruit and no spice, just right. the taste is the same, overpoweringly fresh apples, true to its name. there is little here to remind me that this is beer, but I think that's the purpose of shock top, is it not? its not too sweet either, but rather a little tart like the honeycrisp itself. maybe a touch of wheat malt in here, but its simple and subtle. the finish is long and fruity, a really nice twist from the normal shock top. carbonated like soda pop, I think this does exactly what it sets out to do. I don't need more than one, but I like what they have going on here. im sure in a bottle that's been around awhile this is pretty bad, but I can absolutely vouch for the brewery fresh edition, it really is pretty darn good.

edit: not so good from the bottle. while the apples are still really fresh and snappy and authentic, the sugar is just way too much. one bottle is doable, but a night on these is an awful idea resulting in diabetic hangover and tooth decay. one is the right dose, any more is too much. i wish this was dryer, way better at the source, but still genuine fruit flavor.

2.52/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a single 12 oz to fill out a six, thinking my wife might like it.

She likes flavored wheat beers. She tried it as a "blind" test. Color was bold, almost vibrant. We both had trouble nailing down the kind of fruit being featured due to a "complex" bouquet. The head was one finger, but gone in an instant.

She was not interested in finishing this one which we both agreed was an overly-sweet cider beverage.

3.2/5  rDev +0.9%

The appearance is very bright and radical. The smell is the that of a sour apple jolly rancher. The taste is okay of course like that of an apple however the aftertaste is pretty bland and well below other comparable comparisons. It was nice to try an individual bottle but improvement could definitely be made. 156 Calories, 5.2% ABV. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat remains the top for me in this category.

3.59/5  rDev +13.2%

If you enjoy the apple beers this offering is right up your alley. As soon as you open the bottle, a whiff of apple fills the room. I am not always a fan of "fruit" beers but I would purchase this again. This brew goes down pretty smoothly and if the price is right you should definitely give it a try.

3.59/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Near two inch white head on a dull cloudy golden colored body. Head stick around for a few minutes. Cap and collar throughout.

Smells like straight fresh apples. Uncanny.

Taste follows the aroma to a "T". Fresh tart apples followed by a near overpowering sweetness. Some lemon tang is noticeable. No alcohol presence.

Medium carbonation. Medium low mouthfeel. Funny because I expected this one to be high carbonation for some reason.

I like what ABInBev was thinking here although this is a beer that I won't be able to finish this bottle. I can see casual craft fans getting their toes wet here but the sweetness is too much for me.

3.32/5  rDev +4.7%

drank this out of a 12oz bottle, no date on the bottle that I saw

can't comment on the look of the beer, but my guess is that it's fizzy and yellow, with a small white head. little head retention or lacing, i would gather. need more info on the look? taste is heavy on the artificial green apple, with wheat beer characteristics.

good for a wine cooler, bad for a beer.

3.55/5  rDev +12%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is a great beer to offer to people who say they don't like beer. Very sweet, but still with enough hops taste to please people who actually do like beer. This came in handy when I was hosting my girlfriends one weekend and wanted something other than Mike's Hard Lemonade (which I have to admit I still love).

Pros: Yummy Apple flavor and smell with great carbonation for a bubbly mouth feel. Just enough Hops taste to remind that it is, in fact, beer.

Cons: Apple is the only real flavor. No complexity here. Barely any head when poured. This is meant to be drunk straight from the bottle.

Overall: It's a nice addition to a party to please everyone and is just plain tasty.

2.7/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours with one and a half fingers of white foam on top of a hazy, golden body. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - Green jolly ranchers with a bit of herbal hops and malt in the background.

T - It tastes much like it smells with green apple up front, and sweet malt in the middle. Finishes with a touch of herbal character and more green apple.

M - A fairly thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Not surprisingly the green apple dominates and there really isn't much else going on.

2.99/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

LOOK: Brown bottle, cap removed.

SMELL: Apple cider. Green apples. The aroma is very sweet, a bit tart and artificial.

TASTE: Tart apples, with a sour apple candy taste. There are pronounced wheat ale flavors with notes of citrus. This brew is super tangy, with a hit of breadiness on the tongue that gives it an apple pie flavor. Does kind of taste like an apple crisp.

FEEL: Medium bodied. Sticky, sweet, sour and artificial notes hold on to the taste buds.

OVERALL: Average beer, a lot like commercial sours brewed in Belgium. Not intentional here, but I'll take what I can get.

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle brewed on April 2nd, 2013 poured into pint glass.

A: Very pale yellow color. It's obviously an unfiltered beer, as there it's pretty cloudy. Head is thick, white, with okay retention.

S: Smells like a hard cider. Strong, strong apple is present and not much else. Good for a cider, but there's no real beer smell present.

T: Starts off like a cider, too. Slightly sour apple taste going on, but there's also a really hearty, fleshy apple taste, too. Surprisingly, this aspect is better than most other ciders because it tastes like I'm biting into a real apple. However, near the end, the apple goes away and is replaced by a slightly wheaty, biscuity beer taste like a regular witbier.

Not as sweet as I expected.

M: Body is pretty weak, here. Light and quite a bit of carbonation.

O: Not too bad at all. The apple taste is spot on, but the witbier portion is pretty average. I bought it on sale. I'd buy it again for the price or take some at a party or something. And....for those of you bashing the beer for being an InBev product....you drink Goose Island, right?

Note that I'm a pretty big cider fan. If you're not, your experience may be different.

3.04/5  rDev -4.1%

served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a slightly cloudy golden tan. Bright floral and apple scents, smells very refreshing. Tastes crisp and apple tart, with a slightly lingering malty finish. Feels fairly carbonated and fresh in the mouth, a slight oily feel afterwards that isn't entirely welcome. Overall this is a really nice refreshing beer, well balanced with the apple and the malt tastes. Normally not a fan of fruit beers or Shock Tops, but I thoughly enjoyed this one.

3.87/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The clouded golden hue with rocky white textured head makes this beer then comes a rush of Honey Crisp Apples at the grocer in town they cost 3.69 a lb what a deal that the sixer is only 8 bucks or so. A beautiful mix of apple cider and chalky white Belgian style yeast, I think I'm in love. It's that good smells of fresh apple skins with the charming characters that we all want in a beer which I found would be refreshment. Flavor comes correct with apple skins and a fresh juicy honeycrisp note...slight hints of cinnamon laying flat with brown sugared apples this beer tastes great. Not many Shock Tops make me turn my head this is one with a drying apple cider effect that I have been enjoying since I found it's magic.

3.86/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the canquest creator woodychandler for tis beer. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Yes, that's correct, bottle. Even Woody gets a surplus of those sometimes. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of apple cider. Taste has plenty of apples, slightly tart, not much else but tasty and very drinkable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I did enjoy this beer.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch