Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat | Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States
anheuser-busch.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

Added by Jason on 01-10-2013

3.08/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazed gold/bronze with a pinky of beige head. No head retention or lacing

S: Jolly rancer apple scents & a touch of capri sun

T: Sweet crisp apples, a touch wheat maltyness lurks in the background up front. Jolly rancher candy notes as this warms. Finishes swwet & crisp

MF: Light bodied, crisp, a bit sticky

Drinks fairly easy, but a bit too sweet/fake for my liking. This would do me fine in the summer in a pinch. but only for one or 2 at the most. Certainly not a wit

2.25/5  rDev -29%

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%

2.9/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.3/5  rDev +4.1%

My heart goes pitty-pat when I see new CANs to further The CANQuest (TM) and I was kind of excited to see CANs of this during my Saturday day trip to Brooklyn and Manhattan. I am like a neo-hippie for CANs in that I will try anything once!

From the CAN: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor." Well, they have not changed their tune much in nine months, but no longer is agitation required.

The Crack was not as loud as with some CANs, but neither was it brimful, which may be a CANtributor. An inverted Glug produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = 7) and no agitation had been necessary. The nose was rich with sweet apples and I have to agree with a previous reviewer that it seemed to have a LOT in common with cider. The mouthfeel was very thin with only a mild effervescence being discernible. I was reminded of the hard cider that my maternal grandparents would produce with freshly pressed apples from their upper lot. I was also curious about the spices since they too were indiscernible. Perhaps I drank one too many Pumpkin Ales this year, but I was not getting much in the way of spice from this. Finish was sweet, downright sweet and really more than I wanted. I am going to second this as a potential alternative to a hard cider, but with so many hard ciders hitting the market now, I would have to wonder why bother?

My original, bottle review, dtd 03-05-2013 follows:

Once more, my neighbors had an oddball sixer on the shelf and I decided to split it between my uncle and a colleague. I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining brew and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

As a previous reviewer noted, despite heavy agitation and an aggro pour, I still only developed a pinky finger of eggshell-white head. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose smelled of apple cider, so points for truth in advertising. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it had a very apple cider flavor in the mouth. The spices lent it an apple pie quality, and it was actually pretty good. Finish was semi-sweet with the spices keeping it from being an outright sugar bomb. This one and the other of my share will be just about the right amount for this hophead. It was a novelty and I do not regret my purchase, but two is enough.

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Can't wait for the Macintosh and Granny Smith spinoffs. Anyway, this stuff pours a hazy brass-straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises red apple flesh, lightly-funky wheat, and a very light whiff of what may or may not be a mixture of vanilla and cinnamon (reminds me of my favorite air freshener...). The taste brings in more of the same, along with a vein of mild orange zest. The wheat's funk increases near the finish. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, kinda surprisingly not that bad, though I can see how the apple flavor can be a bit much for some people. Though I didn't totally like or dislike this stuff, I will say I found it enjoyable enough where I wouldn't necessarily turn down a free follow-up bottle.

3.87/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The clouded golden hue with rocky white textured head makes this beer then comes a rush of Honey Crisp Apples at the grocer in town they cost 3.69 a lb what a deal that the sixer is only 8 bucks or so. A beautiful mix of apple cider and chalky white Belgian style yeast, I think I'm in love. It's that good smells of fresh apple skins with the charming characters that we all want in a beer which I found would be refreshment. Flavor comes correct with apple skins and a fresh juicy honeycrisp note...slight hints of cinnamon laying flat with brown sugared apples this beer tastes great. Not many Shock Tops make me turn my head this is one with a drying apple cider effect that I have been enjoying since I found it's magic.

3.26/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - very bright, cloudy yellow with a short-lived, fizzy, white head

S - like a sour apple jolly rancher

T - sour apple up front followed by over-ripe red apple and apple skin

M - light to medium bodied, crisp, over carbonated

Well, this is definitely an apple ale. There's no doubt about it. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any of the spices mentioned on the label. This definitely isn't for me, but it does achieve what it sets out to do. This is a light, refreshing offering that will satisfy your typical fruit-beer drinker or cider drinker.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

3.67/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours hazed yellow with a think head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of candied apple, honey and wheat. Smells as it should, and pretty powerfully.

The taste is of sweet and sour notes - honey and apple with a clean finish.

It is crisp with a fuller side of light bodied. Not watery or fizzy.

This is a nice, crisp, easy-drinking, appley, honey-ish brew.

3.59/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Near two inch white head on a dull cloudy golden colored body. Head stick around for a few minutes. Cap and collar throughout.

Smells like straight fresh apples. Uncanny.

Taste follows the aroma to a "T". Fresh tart apples followed by a near overpowering sweetness. Some lemon tang is noticeable. No alcohol presence.

Medium carbonation. Medium low mouthfeel. Funny because I expected this one to be high carbonation for some reason.

I like what ABInBev was thinking here although this is a beer that I won't be able to finish this bottle. I can see casual craft fans getting their toes wet here but the sweetness is too much for me.

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%