Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix | Binding-Brauerei AG

binding.de

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Redwood21 on 02-19-2008

1.12/5  rDev -68.2%

This is the first Growler of beer I've purchased that I'm pouring into the sink. It tastes more like Orange Crush than like Beer. When I was told that it had an orange tang to it I thought to myself "well it's a German Beer, with their purity laws it can't be artificial tasting". Wrong this is the worst beer I've ever purchased. Goodby Draino here comes Schofferhofer.

1.18/5  rDev -66.5%

This product is 50% "Hefe" and 50% "Grapefruit Drink " as listed on the US labeling. The cloudy is not yeast but cheap canned "juice". Very poor. I would not call this a "bier" at all. It certainly is not crafted. It is more of a commercial marketing product to the same crowd that likes sweet drinks. I seriously doubt it is popular in Germany--this is marketed to Americans. I thought the grapefruit would be a nice substitute for traditional lemon wedge in the Hefe but this is just not a beer at all. It should be sold with wine coolers or the like.

1.22/5  rDev -65.3%

it looks like a hefeweizen, nice and cloudy, but the smell is horrible, tastes disgustingly sweet and nothing like beer at all. total sink pour on this one.

1.23/5  rDev -65.1%

This is a mix drink, If I am reviewing this as a Hefeweizen, I would say it's really bad. It has a very strong grapefruit (not natural) smell and flavor and a small hint of Hefe, almost nothing.
It's like a soda. I think this should not be filed under Hefeweizen.

On the other side, people who like grapefruit soda might like this, as the smell and flavor hints from the Hefeweizen could add some kind of complexity to the very strong soda feel.

1.28/5  rDev -63.6%

1.4/5  rDev -60.2%

1.5/5  rDev -57.4%

1.6/5  rDev -54.5%

1.74/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

From Carrefour. In Teku glass. At lunch. With fried eggs, fried potatoes and nuggets. Hard to finish. Artificial and a little metallic taste.

1.78/5  rDev -49.4%

It loosely resembles a hefe. There's a milky haze, a cloudiness to it. But mostly it looks like milky grapefruit juice. The head is bright white, has minimal retention, and really doesn't do it for me. It's an almost average rendition of a hefe.

I don't know how to describe the smell, but I don't care for it. There's no beery quality to it and it barely smells like grapefruit. There's a citrus rind scent, but that's about it.

Doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had, and I've had my fair share. It tastes more like sweet grapefruit juice. There's plenty of sugar in this and it really overwhelms everything else. That said, there is a citrus flavor, but again, too much sugar.

Very sweet, acidic. Light bodied. Fairly carbonated. Little body other than sugar. Little to no bitterness, though it's slightly tart.

Skip this. I struggle to consider this a beer, and it gives a bad name to hefeweizens.

1.85/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked up a single bottle for shits and giggles.

The pour is straight up Orange soda. The head even dissipates quickly, leaving some sparkling carbonation. I'm sure Kel Mitchell would love this.

The aroma is....grapefruit cider? It's just a sparkling grapefruit drink. Oddly enough it's not that bad.

The flavor is literally orange soda with some grapefruit squeezed in. No bready notes, no bananas or cloves. Just orange drank with a grapefruit spritzer. No. Just no.

The feel is watery with a lot of carbonation. Are we sure this isn't a soda and not a beer?

Overall, I guess I got what I expected. It's grapefruit flavored orange soda. I don't get it.

1.87/5  rDev -46.9%

1.93/5  rDev -45.2%

NOTE: I didn't know what I was drinking when I reviewed this

Pours very pale with a cloudy appearance. White, respectable head, leaves a thin-ish film, decent lacing but not great. Too many floaties.

Bizarre nose, like lemon squash, very sugary and fruity with a slight tang. Not beer-esque at all, this is completely anomalous drop that pretty much smells exactly like soft drink.

Again, very lemony with a slight tartness but mostly a candy sweetness that is like beer with sugar cubes dropped in it. Not pleasant, has no beer taste and is also watery. Mouthfeel is VERY thin.

This is piss in a glass, the puckering aspect is all there is to pique my interest. Obviously a chick beer, obviously a feeble attempt to call itself beer while actually tasting nothing like it. Fuck you, drink.

1.98/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Yeah, I saw this in the store today and was curious. I didn't even check the abv. Rookie blunder. This looks like orange cream soda and smells like ruby red grapefruit. The taste is fruity and sweet and loaded with carbonation. Not my deal at all, and not really a hefeweizen, in my opinion.

2.03/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

L:
-pours a cloudy golden-orange with a small,quickly dissipating,foamy,white head
-low to medium carbonation visible
S:
-sweet grapefruit,orange,lemon,lime,red pepper,cardboard,DMS
T:
-sweet grapefruit,orange,lemon,lime,DMS,spicy,sugary,cooked potatoes
F:
-high carbonation (Overcarbonated)
-light,watery body
O:
I cant believe this is getting such (relatively) high ratings.
Fruit Beers can be so much better than this.

2.06/5  rDev -41.5%