Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix | Binding-Brauerei AG

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Redwood21 on 02-19-2008

Reviews: 153 | Ratings: 716
3.61/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a great beer for a nice hot day, or when you want something on the lighter side. It only has 3.25 ABV so it is very low, it almost tastes like juice. I am not a fan of grapefruit but i absolutely love this beer. This beer goes down very smooth because of the fruity tastes. Even though it is fruit you cans till taste the wheat in the beer.

3.24/5  rDev -7.2%

This will probably come off as being a jerk, but I can't review this as a beer. It doesn't taste like a beer, it doesn't look like a beer. Nothing about it tells me it's a beer except for a bit of an after taste that screams citrusy wheat beer. It is like some combined Squirt, ruby red grapefruit juice, Blue Moon, and sugar. Which is what brings me to my weird scoring on this beer. It looks, smells, tastes, and feels good in the mouth. Just like drinking a soda. And all of those can equally apply to beer. But in this case they don't. It's great in all categories as a soda, but as a beer it is barely passing. Calling this a beer is calling Smirnoff Ice a beer. And a world where Smirnoff Ice is a beer I refuse to exist.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a tap into a Weizen glass. Never seen this before and thought I'd try it out.

A: Very cloudy with an attractive yellow-orange hue. 1 finger of white head. Minimal lacing. Good looking hefe.

S: GRAPEFRUIT very prominently. Backed up with lighter wheat-type scents. Mostly banana, tropical fruit, orange. Maybe some light spice. Very bold and sweet.

T: Very sweet with prominent grapefruit. Minimal to no hop bitterness, although there is a bitterness associated with the grapefruit flavor. Seems to come in waves. Some tartness, but would benefit from more sour to offset the sweet. More subdued banana. Even lighter spice/clove. Not so complex, but I do enjoy the quality of the fruitiness. Does get a bit cloying by the end. Possibly the sweetest-tasting beer I can recall.

M: Very full. Light carbonation for the style, but I think it works. Drinks quite a bit like grapefruit juice. Pretty smooth.

O: I sucked this one down with the quickness. A bit like grapefruit juice spiked lightly with seltzer, in a way, but I'm ok with that. The hefe characteristics play second fiddle, but were of good quality. Would be nice on a scorching Summer day.

Prost!

3.36/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This pours a pinkish/orange color with just a slight white head. There is the strong wheat and grain scent of a good hefeweizen, but the grapefruit isn’t very noticeable. The texture is thin with very little carbonation so basically this drinks like grapefruit juice in the form of a beer. Interesting and different, refreshing in the summer, but I don’t see myself buying this on a regular basis.

2.6/5  rDev -25.5%

Pours a clear dusky-orange in color, with some yeast suspension evident and a solidly-domed / rocky off-white head. Looks pretty good from the outset, but the color (even in the bottle) looks "fake" or artificial*.

On the nose there's just the merest hint of a light yeast tang and it hides behind walls of sweet, sugary citrus-drink confection. Reminds me of "Tang" or even "Five Alive." Grapefruit? Not so much. Really gotta get my nose down into the glass to smell anything resembling beer -- much less Hefeweizen.

On the first sip it's SWEET! Well, sweet alternating with a bitterness that I normally associate with various artificial sweeteners. An unnatural bitterness rather than a 'citrus peel' type of bitterness, which often works in some spiced and flavored beers (certain Belgian styles.)

There *is* a Hefe yeast profile coming up into the drink, here and there, but it really is clobbered by the sweetness and nondescript citrus fruit flavor. Again, it's not strictly a Grapefruit flavor, as there's heavy orange notes, and the sweetness is just over-the-top.

The touch of alcohol here is light, so 2.5% I can believe. There isn't much mouthfeel or body to go with this flavor profile, in fact it is watery and reminds me of an orange soda with ice cubes that have melted -- but it's still sweet...

I don't like giving bad reviews -and I have been generous in this respect, here- but this beer is really just not to my liking. I'd hardly call it a beer...

*Note: there is indeed artificial coloring (cochineal extract) and as far as the flavoring, I'll just have to imagine that there is something not 100% natural going on there, as with the sweetener.

3.35/5  rDev -4%

11.2 fl oz. bottle, best before 2014.06 printed on the back label. Found this oddity at a Binny's in the mix a six pack section. I've enjoyed the radlers I've had so far, and this seems to be a similar beverage, so let's see. I've never had anything from this brewery before.

Poured into a clear wine glass.

A - Pours a pale murkish orange pink colored body, same as it appears in the bottle, with about two to three fingers of bubbly pink tinted white fizz which settled to a ring in a matter of seconds.

S - Nose is comprised of sugary candied sweetness, perhaps a faint hint of grains, and some authentic fresh cut grapefruit. Smells similar to the Stiegl Radler Grapefruit.

T - Crisp, tart grapefruit, pulpiness, white sugar, caramel malt maybe. Any actual "beer" flavor from the 50% hefeweizen is only apparent in the first few sips. After that, it just tastes like a grapefruit soda.

M - Sweet, sugary, sticky mouthfeel. Some citric grapefruit and tingly carbonation lingering on the palate.

Overall, a flavorful, highly drinkable, novelty experience. Extremely low 2.50% abv ensures you can toss them back without guilt or remorse, although I couldn't see myself drinking more than two in a session. I mainly got this for the fun and novelty of it, but I sure do love these radler-esque concoctions.

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit ---3.5/5

1.78/5  rDev -49%

It loosely resembles a hefe. There's a milky haze, a cloudiness to it. But mostly it looks like milky grapefruit juice. The head is bright white, has minimal retention, and really doesn't do it for me. It's an almost average rendition of a hefe.

I don't know how to describe the smell, but I don't care for it. There's no beery quality to it and it barely smells like grapefruit. There's a citrus rind scent, but that's about it.

Doesn't taste like any beer I've ever had, and I've had my fair share. It tastes more like sweet grapefruit juice. There's plenty of sugar in this and it really overwhelms everything else. That said, there is a citrus flavor, but again, too much sugar.

Very sweet, acidic. Light bodied. Fairly carbonated. Little body other than sugar. Little to no bitterness, though it's slightly tart.

Skip this. I struggle to consider this a beer, and it gives a bad name to hefeweizens.

2.54/5  rDev -27.2%

Expected much more from hefe Radler..
A - Really nice orange red grape color,also one finger white foam,big plus on this.
S - Grapefruit only.
T/M - Regular average Radler,nothing to special in it. Medium carbonation,a bit lower bitterness,which is plus. Mostly citrus and Grape.
O - Same as most Radlers..

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

11.2 oz bottle was poured into a flute glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to nothing quickly. It is a hazy pale orange color with some clarity and bubbles coming up through the glass.

Smell: Being that grapefruit juice was added, you get all the tart, sweet, grapefruit characteristics. You pick up a little bready malts too.

Taste: The bready malts are more noticeable when tasted. You also get the grapefruit characteristics mentioned above plus the acidity from the fruit itself.

Mouthfeel: Chewy, crisp, refreshing, light bodied, and medium to high carbonation. The acidity from the fruit juice can be a deterrent.

Overall: For a sessionable beer, this is great. Light and refreshing for the warm weathered months.

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy yellowish orange in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of grapefruit are present in the nose—it smells fresh like you just sliced open a grapefruit in half.
T: Contrary to what you would expect, the grapefruit flavors in the taste aren't nearly as prominent as the aromas in the smell and are balanced off with flavors of wheat. Only faint hints of sourness are present.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not watery) on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Coming in a clear bottle with an appearance resembling Orangina, this beer looked a little gimmicky, but was actually rather good and seemed to have a good mix of grapefruit and wheat flavors and didn't taste artificial.

2.92/5  rDev -16.3%

Provided to me for free by a very friendly representative from Binding-Brauerei recently. Freshness date is "2014.1." I would have never bought this myself, but I appreciate the chance to try it. Poured into a stange glass from a 12oz bottle.

Looks completely like an orange cream soda, complete with a similarly looking fizzy white head that somehow holds on to its dear life thanks to the stange glass. Bubbles glide up this thing in the same vein of soda, and otherwise, it's pretty watery looking and lacks any qualities that would make me think that this was a beer if served to me. I'm rating this for what it is, and definitely not to style. Not horrible, but pretty gimmicky looking.

The aroma is not as bad as expected - rather than being pelted with an artificial smelling fruit aroma with a cheaply made beer backbone, there are vibrant notes of fresh squeezed grapefruit, lime peel, and apricots. The hefeweizen surprisingly does seep in under the soda flavors, with notes of wheat and cereal grains, as well as a bit of tart characteristics. Very refreshing. Good quality ingredients were definitely used here.

The flavor coats the palate with notes of juicy grapefruit peel, as well as various other citrus notes and dried fruits, only to reveal the beer that lurks underneath. It tastes slightly artificial, but the wheat backbone, as well as the notes of bready yeastiness and lactic tart phenols save this from being a total disaster. I admit I really like the grapefruit flavor here, and it drinks just like a soda as a result. Extremely low in alcohol, refreshing, and spritzy in feel and body. Not the greatest, but not godawful by any means.

This reminds me a lot more of the same vein of Berliner Weissbiers rather than traditional hefeweizens. Come to think of it, a nicely tart low alcoholic beer would go quite well with grapefruit syrup, but this probably the subjectively better tasting one. This could do the trick out on the beach or at a picnic, although I'd probably just take an actual beer instead most of the time. This also, sadly enough, is a way that many of these breweries abroad have creeped into the American market - by sugarcoating their products with crazy flavorings such as this one. However, this at least avoids being totally artificial tasting, and as I result I recommend to all who are looking for some bizarre beer-related novelty every once in a while.

3.28/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hazy orange color with a thin head with low retention.
Citrusy aroma, predominanting grapefruits with hints of wheat and acid ascorbic.
Nice refreshing taste of oranges and grapefruit on a light wheaty base and a yeasty finish, almost unperceptible. Dry and acid aftertaste. Light body with good carbonation. At 2.5% ABV with the right level of sweetness, I could never drink again any soda. This would be a perfect substitute. It is actually a grapefruit radler.

3.51/5  rDev +0.6%

Crisp sweet taste, seemed more like grapefruit soda that beer to me. The color didn’t appeal to me that much, it’s very different. It is definitely refreshing on a hot day, I’ll give it that but it doesn’t quite do it if its a beer that you’re craving.

3.75/5  rDev +7.4%

I love the taste of this beer. That being said I would only drink it on a hot summer day when in need of a refreshing beer. It has a very strong grapefruit flavor which is delicious but tastes sugary. Almost like a grapefruit soda. I would suggest buying it but it isn't quite what I expected.

1.12/5  rDev -67.9%

This is the first Growler of beer I've purchased that I'm pouring into the sink. It tastes more like Orange Crush than like Beer. When I was told that it had an orange tang to it I thought to myself "well it's a German Beer, with their purity laws it can't be artificial tasting". Wrong this is the worst beer I've ever purchased. Goodby Draino here comes Schofferhofer.

2.19/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A-Yikes. Pours akin to orange soda. Little, white cap of fizz sits atop the soft drink. Very hazy.

S-Big whiff of tangy, organic grapefruit. Natural grapefruit zestiness.

T-Grapefruit soda. Sweet and zesty. Doesn't taste like beer. Soda pop yo!

M-Soda, feels like a sugary soft drink.

O/D-Not beer to me. And apparently its only 2.5℅. Nope, nope, nope. This is not my cup of suds. This is what you'd see a German guy bring to a kids house on To Catch a Predator. Tastes like soda-pop...hooray.

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into a standard pint glass.
Cloudy peach/pink in color, with a moderate head of white foam.
Aroma-Unmistakable whiff if pink grapefruit
Taste-Big blast of sugared pink grapefruit, very faint wheat note. Light, sweet, tangy and super-refreshing. I had one after mowing for an hour and had to fight the urge to just guzzle it from the bottle. That being said it drinks almost like a soft drink or wine cooler. Could be helped greatly by more beer or wheat flavor or just some grapefruit rind bitterness to offset the almost soda-like sweetness. But hey, at 2.5ABV, on a hot summer day, I'm gonna guzzle one down right out of the cooler.

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

After the runaway success of Stiegl's Grapefruit Radler last year, it's only natural that we'd see the large liquor stores around here with stacks of this stuff, an untested beer from an untested brewer (for the area, anyway). Hell, I've only seen the normal hefe in these parts, and that was only at a couple of random spots. Let's see if this stuff is worth the attention:

It pours a hazy straw-orange topped by a half-finger of rather short-lived off-white foam. The nose comprises sharp grapefruit zest. That's it. If there's any hefeweizen in there, I can't smell a lick of it. The taste brings in more of the same, now more of a grapefruit lemonade than anything, sweetener and all. The body is a hefty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, this is a pretty weak beer, not altogether unpleasant, but a simple flash of grapefruit. If they hadn't told me there was a hefe base, I'd never have known. Hell, I think it was a waste of a hefeweizen, as all there was was grapefruit. It's not bad, but not my cup of tea.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This caught my attention mainly based on the color and the fact that it has grapefruit, one of my favorite fruits. Pouring into a weizen glass, it's a hazy pinkish orange with a thin cap of white foam that dissipated within a few minutes. Prominent notes of grapefruit juice in the aroma overpowering the typical hefeweizen yeast-driven phenolics. Slight banana on the back-end follows up another strongly featured dose of grapefruit up front. Bready malts start to pop up as the beer sits. Hops aren't playing a key role here, finishing with a light sweetness. Light body with a medium carbonation level.

Not my go-to style by any means but I'm enjoying this one. The grapefruit character is definitely pleasing to my palette given the warm weather going on here. I'd have one again under the right circumstances.

3.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a tall pint glass, the color reminded me of poorly mixed tang.The orange color seemed mysteriously dark and grainy. It gave a nice bubbly white head with little retention on the sides of the glass. The aroma reminded me of walking past fresh grapefruit in the grocery store. One can really detect the grapefruit rind in this one. On the initial taste, one really gets to know the mouthfeel as the beer is exceptionally bubbly. I enjoyed the initial taste as the grapefruit gave a nice sour initial before fading into a mellow grassy hefe taste. Drinkers need to pay attention because the taste fades to nothingness quickly as the hurricane of carbonation sweeps it all away. On might ask, "Why bother?" noticing the 2.5% ABV on this beer. On a hot day, one might be able to drink a whole sixer of these in a half. Given that choice, one might not even feel a buzz. I can appreciate the beer for its style and even enjoy a few.

3.54/5  rDev +1.4%

11.2oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy pink/orange hue. Two fingers of bubbly white head retain surprisingly well considering this is a 50/50 blend of hefeweizen and juice. No real lacing.

S: Pretty much just grapefruit soda on the nose. Ghost-like clove and a very mild pina colada sort of aroma. Stifled wheat.

T: Much more hefeweizen at play than the nose would suggest. Creamy banana. Wheat. Soft clove and pepper. Sugary artificial grapefruit taste is rather low on bitterness.

M: light bodied. It wants to be full and creamy, but doesn't quite get there. Artificial soda-like carbonation cuts right through.

O: It is what it is. It definitely takes a more traditional radler approach in that it has that soda blend feel and stays at a low 2.5% abv. I would have liked to see a more natural grapefruit taste with better bitterness, but that's not really what a radler is all about anyway. A unique approach using the grapefruit. They downplay the low abv by not including it on the label. Not sure if that's wise or not. Sessionability is a selling point, but an abv that low might also alienate a wine cooler and shandy crowd that expects a "normal strength" beverage.

3.51/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 330ml bottle. Pours a rather bright orange-yellow colour. Very summery looking! This blend of grapefruit juice and German hefeweizen has strong aromas of fresh grapefruit mixed with hefe spice notes (clove). The refreshing grapefruit flavours dominate, with a hint of the clove and banana notes of the hefe in the background. Very delicious and drinkable. A great way to cool down on a hot day.

3.29/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a cloudy medium golden orange in color (almost like an Orange Crush soda was dumped into a Hefeweizen) with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some fake orange soda highlights. The beer has a half finger tall fizzy light orange/peach head that quickly reduces to a small patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of grapefruit juice (ruby red) over the top of light aromas of wheat, banana, and clove.

T: Upfront this beer tastes just like rudy red grapefruit juice with light amounts of sweetness which is followed by a finish that is all light wheat, banana, and just a hint of clove. No perceptible bitterness is present.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin.

O: Easy to drink and refreshing but not sure how many of these I could have in a single session, this seems more like something that might go well with brunch. This one is real interesting in that there are two completely separate components to the flavor of this beer - the grapefruit and then the Hefeweizen.

3.66/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a weird orange (like a Fanta or Crush), but it's an impenetrably cloudy and opaque -- like a proper hefeweizen! No lace here.

Nose is subtle grapefruit, with some sharp wheat character. Actually not bad.

Taste is sweet grapefruit and a hint of wheat sharpness. Actually, this isn't too far from a citrus soft drink, with an infusion of beer. Call it a radler or a shandy or whatever, but this drinks very easily. And at a lowly 2.5% ABV, this is perfect for Summer yardwork. Enjoyable.

2.94/5  rDev -15.8%

A - Deep cloudy dark orange colour, hardly any trace of a head, despite being classified as a hefe. Disappointing.

S - Artificial grapefruit and passionfruit flavoured wine gums, starbust, sherbert.

T - Really sweet, pasito, tonic water, slight honey and grapefruit. No wheat or other typical hefe flavours.

M - Light fizzy body, high carbonation.

O - More soft drink than beer, it's certainly not a hefeweizen. Very tasty though and very suitable for an afternoon in the sun.

Schöfferhofer Grapefruit Weizen-Mix from Binding-Brauerei AG