Clausthaler Original (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)
Binding-Brauerei AG

Clausthaler Original (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)Clausthaler Original (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)
Rate It

Added:
Nov 01, 2002
SCORE
Poor
Notes: Formerly Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3 by Robertas from Lithuania

Jul 22, 2022
Reviewed by DrexelLake from South Carolina

4.34/5  rDev +47.6%
This is what a good traditional German pils is supposed to taste like. For an NA it is exceptional. Brewed to German purity standards. I spent several years in Germany, but hadn't tried until now thinking I would be disappointed. Man was I wrong. This is my new go to NA. Not to mention it won world's best style winner at the world beer awards which might make one question the other reviewers. Prost!
Jun 10, 2022
Reviewed by monkist from Hungary

4.05/5  rDev +37.8%
Say what you want, I don’t care - this is the BEST NA beer I had by far, hands down!
At least, everything is relative. I have been trying to give up hope and have no expectations whatsoever for non-alc beers because the ones that I had were a disaster (except for non-alc craft beers like the ones I had from Omnipollo, for instance, which were great.)
Now here comes this Clausthaler which has been around forever but for the reasons mentioned above I never thought about giving it a try - until now.
First off, it has an amazing aroma! Full on hops galore, couldn’t quite believe what I’m smelling, had to make sure if it was not just a form of skunk but it wasn’t. Decent aroma hops, great start!
The beer also tastes great, does not let you down. The mouthfeel and carbonation is just like what you would expect from a crisp lager, isn’t overcarbonated like so many other NAs. No foul bitterness, no sickening aftertaste, just full on hops, tastes very much like a freshly hopped lager or pilsner. Tastes very pleasant and refreshing. Loving it.
Now the feel is a different story, this is where the lack of alcohol and the malt base comes into play: there is a sudden drop in the tasting experience, turns into an extremely light something which is somewhat of a shock, but just because the taste is so good that you forget what you are dealing with here. However, as a non-alcoholic beer it is not THAT bad. I had ones that tasted nothing more than bitter water, this is at least just something very thin.
Still, I would say that the whole thing is almost like a session IPA - very generously hopped but on the light side of the tracks. Very sessionable indeed, a session lager/pilser if you will.
So I ranked it 5 overall because for me, this is the most I would expect from a NA lager, it does the trick: has the smell, has the taste, has the feel, has the experience - almost the whole package.
Think this will be my go to NA from now - and I got to tell you that it is a big thing as I’ve been avoiding these beers from the first day I started drinking beer. Good to know that there’s hope in this field too. Thanks, Clausthaler!
May 26, 2022

Rated: 4 by Rhetion from Florida

Feb 09, 2022
Reviewed by jhubeifc from Taiwan

2.9/5  rDev -1.4%
It's a non alcoholic beer so rating based on that.
It's very good for a hot summer day. Highly chuggable. Light coloured brew that is smooth and easy to drink, very refreshing, but weak in flavour.
I've had about 20 non-alc brews in the last month and this is in the top few.
Jan 27, 2022

Rated: 3.99 by Parsifalstaff from New York

Jan 24, 2022

Rated: 3.29 by Rollmeaway2loadout from Illinois

Jan 17, 2022
Reviewed by Sigmund from Norway

1.53/5  rDev -48%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5
My original rating: "No - no - no!!..............................................................". Aroma and flavour of unhopped wort, bad. I will never buy this version again, as there are other non-alcoholic beers (both from Clausthaler and other breweries) that are so much better.
Jan 16, 2022
Reviewed by FBarber from Illinois

4.06/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
Pours a crystal clear golden color. Two finger white head. Head collapses on itself leaving lots of sticky lacing. Aroma has notes of sweet grainy malts, hay, grassy hops, light sweet honey notes, and a subtle honey character.

Taste follows the nose with notes of lightly toasted bready malts, sweet grains, some light hay, lightly spicy grassy hops. Wow, this actually has a quite nice flavor to it. Feel is light and crisp. Moderate carbonation. Semi-dry finish.

Overall this is a nice NA beer. Exhibits a bit more malt character and depth than some of these other NA Imports. I would definitely drink this one again.
Jan 16, 2022
Reviewed by jkblr from Indiana

3.3/5  rDev +12.2%
12oz green bottle P:05.10.2021 E:05.04.2023 (it's either 3 or 8 months old...) poured into a mug at fridge temp 0.5% ABV. The beer pours very bright light golden yellow with bone colored head. The head recedes to a thin ring and single layer of bubbles. Slight lacing. The aroma is skunk, big time, with a hint of light malt. The taste is more skunk with a semisweet light malt wort flavor and slight back end bitterness. The mouthfeel is thin bodied with average plus carbonation and a mostly dry finish. Overall, ok. I bought it warm off the top shelf of a well lit Meijer thinking it would be ok. I would 100% sample again from a can or light protected bottle and will finish this six pack with meals before February.
Jan 15, 2022

Rated: 1 by DerwinWentworth from Utah

Jan 02, 2022
Reviewed by ZenAgnostic from Texas

12oz bottle, drinking it straight from the bottle. Picked up for about $8 a six pack at the liquor store. Has 2 different dates in a black box at the bottom of the back label. P: 04.02.2021 (presumably packaged on), D: 04.08.2022 (presumably BEST BY). So this one should still be fresh enough.

Appearance - Considering I'm having it straight from the green bottle it's hard to tell the color, but it seems clear and pale like a lager would.

Smell - Smells like a euro lager like Heineken, but sweet. Malty, nutty character I didn't expect.

Taste - Tastes shockingly exactly like it smells. A euro lager like Heineken, but sweet. Malty, nutty character I came to expect from the smell. A little too sweet for my taste, but I guess it's the lack of alcohol that makes it fail to hide that maltiness. Or maybe it's just unfermented malt? Not sure how this works.

Mouthfeel - Light, clean, refreshing. A little syrupy. Enjoyable.

Overall - I haven't had many non-alcoholic beers so I can't really rate in style, so I'll just rate it as a beer in general while keeping in mind its inherent shortcomings as a NA beer. It does what it's supposed to do. It's a pacifier to help me feel like I'm having a real beer while I'm avoiding alcohol because of possible COVID exposure and I want to keep my immune system up. All things considered, not a bad beer.
Nov 30, 2021
Reviewed by defunksta from North Dakota

3.59/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Appearance: Pours a clear, medium-golden color with a strong, but crispy clear to white head. SRM of 8. (3.75)

Aroma: Before even sniffing the glass I get grassy and light-struck aromas. Upon sniffing the glass I get strong aromas of skunk followed by some lgiht grassy notes. Then I get a smooth earthy and grassy honey aroma thought the end backed by pale malts. (3.50)

Flavor: Strong skunky flavors upfront that turn into a crushed corn flavor. Some pale malts and smooth honey, followed by a sweet corn finish. (3.50)

Feel: Medium to light bodied. Strong carbonation and crisp. Finish is clean. (3.75)

Overall: One of my first attempts at a non-alcoholic beer. I have to say that it drinks pretty close to the real thing. Besides being light struck, I felt that it had good earthy, grassy, and honey aromas. Then sweet corn on the flavor. A nice body and worth kicking back a few if you're staying abstinent for the evening. (Final Rating: 3.59)
Oct 26, 2021
Reviewed by md3kcn from North Carolina

2.41/5  rDev -18%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.25
Purchased as a single bottle from Kroger for $1.30. Poured into a nonic pint glass.

L - Pours a crisp goldenrod with a minimal pale-white head.
S - Wet hay, white bread, and notes of generic cereal grains. Not too much else.
T - Flavor follows the nose exactly. A bit of sweetness and additional "bready" element. Hay finish.
F - Clean. Refreshing. Medium-light body with lots of carbonation.
O - This doesn't really leave an impression on me, if I'm being honest. Not really complex, but not "cheap" tasting. I wouldn't be able to tell if it has alcohol in it if you did a blind taste test with me. I'd try it again, but only if there wasn't a better option in the vicinity. Would not recommend for those that can consume alcohol, but it's not too bad.
Oct 13, 2021
Reviewed by flagmantho from Washington

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Poured from 12oz green bottle into a dimpled mug. Packaged 4/14/21.

Appearance: medium-light golden hue with a clear body and a thin layer of off-white foam.

Smell: they have successfully replicated the smell of slightly light-struck green-bottle continental beer, so they got that going for them. Light malt with a little hops and skunkiness; that said, it's entirely convincing as beer.

Taste: rather sweet with a bit of a corny element; there is a bit of malt there and a very light bitterness. This feels like it must have been sweetened a little after the fact. That said ... it's a pretty convincing European macro pale lager. If that's your cup of tea, I could see this working for you.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a big carbonation and a surprisingly good texture for NA.

Overall: I think I'm being slightly won over by this beer. If what you want is a lawnmower beer or something to drink on the beach, and your jam is slightly sweet european lagers, then this thing is going to do the trick. For me personally, it's perhaps a bit sweet. But still ... really surprisingly well done.
Oct 13, 2021

Rated: 3.07 by blissfulNemo from Michigan

Aug 31, 2021
Reviewed by Skywave from Oklahoma

3.32/5  rDev +12.9%
Appearance
Awesome optics here. Fine, rocky, white head that lasts and laces. Clear straw gold.

Aroma
Old school green bottle euro lager skunkiness. Bread and honey, grassy, weedy, herbal, spicy hops.

Flavor
Clean and on the sugary side with bready, biscuit grains and moderate hop flavor and bitterness to balance. No weird cereal tastes, they have a better base style to work with than O'Doul's and that ilk.

Mouthfeel
Feels far less watery then typical NA, but also feels artificially so. Beats nearly all NA's I've tried on substantial mouthfeel, even beets most Athletic Brewing's brews in this category.

Overall
I have mixed feelings about this. It started out nostalgically good, and I was impressed, but by the end of the glass, I was not terribly impressed. The sweetness builds up and lingers in a very syrupy non-beerlike way. It kicks American adjunct NAs butts, though, so I give it some credit.
Jun 30, 2021

Rated: 3 by mmilyko from Nevada

Jun 29, 2021

Rated: 3.23 by Daneve76 from Australia

May 25, 2021
Reviewed by danrust8 from Iowa

2.01/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2
Comparing to NA beers, this one was still really bad in the most important categories.

The look is quite nice. Bottle, pour. Good foamy head with lacing. Nice straw color.

The smell is really bad. I don't know who likes this skunky/marijuana kind of odor, but I do not. Certainly not in beer. My wife would not come near me when drinking this, so minus more points for marital effects.

The taste is not great either. Starts with a promising fruity taste. Ends with cereal. Like, literally cheerios. And then roll them in some cannabis. Barley is there, but not pleasant. Hops are negligible.

Mouthfeel is excellent, as per Clausthaler's magnificent, delightful, singularly good dry-hopped version. It's heavy like a lager. Carbonation is perfect.

Overall, a very good looking, feeling beer with a terrible smell and taste. I will not be able to drink these again. My wife agrees.
Apr 13, 2021
Reviewed by thehyperduck from Canada (ON)

3.85/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
500 mL can from the LCBO; best before Dec 22 2021 and served barely chilled.

Pours a bright, clear golden-yellow colour, generating one finger of soapy, foamy white head that recedes at a steady pace. Within three or four minutes, it has been reduced to a fat, frothy collar and some bubbly patches of film on the surface, with a glorious curtain of sticky lace also having been deposited - yep, it looks like a German pale lager, and an attractive one at that. Whole grain bread and doughy, biscuity malt sweetness on the nose, alongside hints of herbal hops, grassy hay and silage.

It'd almost taste like a real pale lager, if not for a few minor giveaways that blow its cover. Cereal grains, doughy bread and a light orchard (apple/pear) fruitiness at the forefront, with suggestions of biscuit developing by mid-sip. Lightly noble hopped back end - grassy hay and a touch of lemon, with hints of bready sweetness persisting beyond the finish and into the aftertaste. There's a touch of acidity/sourness that feels out of place, but I didn't find it especially distracting. Light in body, with moderately low carbonation that gently tickles the palate, lending a light crispness to its otherwise smooth mouthfeel.

Final Grade: 3.85, a B+. Clausthaler Original is a perfectly serviceable NA lager - I certainly can't say that I didn't enjoy my glass. I feel like this beer is just getting ragged on because it's non alcoholic, which is not really fair to the producers, or to the subset of BAs who might actually want to know whether or not an NA product is worth a try (vs. how well it compares to a normal strength lager). No, it's not as good as a real German pils - though I'd still take this over Beck's, I think. The best NA beer I've tried so far... though I've only had like five, so you should definitely take that proclamation with a grain of salt.
Mar 09, 2021
Reviewed by brother_rebus from Maine

2.88/5  rDev -2%
P skunky dms green pils piss bomb. Its not totally far off from a becks or Heineken. Just isnt really all that good. Probably wont buy any more of this.
Feb 07, 2021
Reviewed by digitalflood from New York

3.5/5  rDev +19%
Poured from a glass bottle into a standard pint glass. Body is crystal clear yellow/gold with active carbonation. Head builds to good uneven froth with open and closed bubbles of uneven sizes that reduces to good lacing mostly around the rim with some spotting on the face.

Smells of malt caramels, skunk cabbage hops, and a bit of sugar cookie. Standard German lager smells similar to old school Beck's (the original German brewed one).

On the nose a bit of stale bread, sugar cookies, and kimchi cabbage "funk". Mid-palette thin caramel, lemon cookies, and good German "skunk" dank notes from the hops. Back palette comes clean with a bit of biscuit, some raw sugar, and a bitter hop note that isn't pine but more like the classic ESB bittering hop notes or similar to fresh Heineken in a can.

The tasting note is very European lager and that classic German feel (again-- think good Beck's, Bitburger, DAB, or Warsteiner) with good dankness to the skunky hops and a decent malt backbone of biscuit with some sugar from the alcohol removal.

Mouthfeel is very wet, thin, and crisp. Aftertaste is some more skunk, malt and sugar. Clean and crisp.

I really like this what Italian meals as that lightness and crisp tasting note compliments well with acidic sauces and more savory meats like veal or beef. Goes well with sharp cheeses as well.

I consider this the NA standard for a German beer and I rate it a bit high at 3.5 out of 5 though I think most might put it in the 3 to 3.25 range. I really like that skunk note though and if that is there your thing then this is going to work for you. Overall good and recommended.
Jan 27, 2021
Reviewed by Harrison8 from Missouri

3.8/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4
Pours a golden yellow with a clear translucence. Head is a finger and a half of snow-white foam that retains well. Aroma is dank from the moment the bottle is opened, but not obscenely heavy. Bready and biscuity malts mingle with grass hops to form the rest of the nose, giving the hops just a slight edge in terms of spotlight. Flavor profile is the same, bringing notes of dank, grassy, and lemon hops alongside biscuity, bready malts. Great hop and malt presence and balance despite not having alcohol to tie it together. Mouth feel is crisp with a medium-thin consistency that lends itself to a refreshing, sippable beer. Overall, crisp and refreshing with some punchy hops up front, followed closely by balancing malts keep this NA beer drinking well.

Served in a 15.5oz Speigalau tulip from a 11.2oz bottle.
Jan 24, 2021
Reviewed by tigg924 from Massachusetts

1.3/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1
Pours clear,gold in color with one third inch head. Taste is mineral, cardboard and skunk. Light bodied, sweet with moderate carbonation. Unfortunately not the worst non alcoholic beer I have had today but still bad, very bad. Odd taste and one that I cannot stomach to finish. I don't mind other beers from the brewery but this is just a big no.
Jan 19, 2021
Reviewed by cyclonece09 from Wisconsin

3.6/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours clear yellow with a tiny head. Smells of cereal grain, not too strong, but not too weak. Tastes of cereal grain, like a normal German import. Beer is light bodied and easy drinking, good carbonation. Overall, a very good NA beer.
Jan 18, 2021

Rated: 3 by freewill35 from Indiana

Nov 21, 2020
Reviewed by Burgz from Canada (AB)

2.2/5  rDev -25.2%
330ml bottle poured into a mug. Pours an opaque light straw colour with minimal fizzy head that quickly dissipated leaving minimal lacing.

Smell is really unremarkable, picked up very faint orange and herbal scents.

Taste is also very muted but a slight skunky, almost cannabis taste is present leaving an aftertaste.

Overall not one of my favourites in the NA category. Glad it was only a 4 pack, I’ll drink them but won’t be buying anymore.
Aug 22, 2020

Rated: 3 by Velivolus1 from Vermont

Jul 20, 2020

Rated: 2.97 by Nunya from Ohio

Jun 14, 2020
Reviewed by UristMcBrewer from Pennsylvania

3.47/5  rDev +18%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Clausthauler is a pale straw with a foamy white head that quickly disappears. It is transparent. It smells very sweet with some herbal/floral/spicy notes in the background. The sweetness continues over to the taste but is not cloying and is complemented by the hoppiness rather well. The feel is thick and foamy, satisfying. Overall, this is very refreshing.
May 23, 2020

Rated: 2.74 by Stevedore from Oregon

May 10, 2020
Rated by StoutElk_92 from Massachusetts

3.88/5  rDev +32%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25
sweet honey cereal grains, minimal hops
May 08, 2020
Rated by Mclusal from Colombia

1.8/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75
N59
Apr 26, 2020
Reviewed by beergoot from Colorado

2.07/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2
Bright and clear golden body; coarse and lively carbonation; soapy, foamy white head, thin yet lasting. Kind of a generic, mass-produced adjunct lager aroma; a bit of hay. Big corn syrup sweetness flavor. Medium body; coarse and bubbly.

The taste ultimately sets the tone with this one. It's pretty much pure corn sugar sweetness. The appearance and smell give hope that this may be fair for what it is, but the reality is the taste and mouthfeel nearly scream carbonated corn syrup.
Apr 13, 2020

Rated: 2.08 by j0hnc2468 from New York

Mar 10, 2020
Reviewed by DoctorZombies from Florida

4.22/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
Bottled Dec. 4, 2019; gold pour; excellent clarity; three fingers of fluffy white foam; long cap retention; medium plus lacing. Fresh baked bread with some floral hops nose. Baked bread, semi sweet, lite floral hops; very mild bitterness; malty caramel finish. Light body, not watery; moderate carbonation. Overall, quite tasty; crisp, clean and refreshing; not sweet; light malty linger; will definitely drink more.
Mar 05, 2020