Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei) | Binding-Brauerei AG

poor
Read the review
Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)

Binding-Brauerei AG
Germany
binding.de

Style: Low Alcohol Beer

Added by kbub6f on 11-01-2002

4.6/5  rDev +59.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Light yellow-ish gold with a full creamy pillowy white head, nice carbonation, and decent lace. Spicy malt and spicy pine hop aroma and flavor. Much different profile and much more robust than the American macro versions of N/A beers. Medium bodied, smooth and creamy with a spicy dry finish.

Reminds me of Beck's a bit ... very nice for an N/A and by far my favorite one. You'd almost swear you were drinking a true German Pilsner. Had to give this one props for drinkability.

Per label: "Water, barley malt, hops, yeast".
92 cal., 18.8g carb., 1.4 g prot., 0 fat.

Best Before (end of): 01/07
Tasted: 01/08/06

($6.08 / 6-pack)

4.43/5  rDev +53.3%

I found out last week that my gall bladder has to be removed. It's still going to be a few weeks until my surgery and until then I've decided to avoid full-stength beers and try some non-alcoholic beers. The first is Clausthaler.

When this beer is poured into a glass it certainly looks very appealing. It looks like a true German pilsner with a delicate, rocky head. The similaritites change a bit once I take a sniff of the contents of my glass. The faint trace of hops is blown away by a sort of cereal grain aroma that is reminiscent of fresh unfermented beer. I guess this makes a bit a sense seeing that this beer has so little alcohol. I take the first sip, and suddenly I'm drinking a pretty darn good German pilsner. The malt flavor is crisp and fresh. There's actually a bit of spicy hop flavor and a bitter finish. There is a bit of a slick sweetness, but by far this is the best non-alcoholic beer I've tasted.

(Please note I've rated this beer compared to other non-alcoholic brews.)

4.43/5  rDev +53.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Comparing only NA beers, BUD Light and Miller Lite, not my favorite Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
The color was a medium straw.
This was another N/A beer that poured with a 3 finger head.
It gave off a nice malt aroma of beer.
Wow! The taste was that of a malt that was slightly over balanced with hops and finishes with a slight hop bitterness towards the back of the palate
The overall taste and body was better than any US light or NA beer!! I'll drink this any day!

4.4/5  rDev +52.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clausthaler NA pours a light golden amber from a 12oz green glass bottle.
Head goes well over two fingers and lasts for some time before fading to a white blanket of foam with nice lace around the glass.

Nose is a pleasant damp barley malt with nice sweet notes followed by just a faint whiff of hops.

Drinking from the glass brings the taste of wounderful toasted barley malt with a well balanced bittering of hops. The carbonation levels are just right, not too fizzy like a soda pop or some other NA’s, this ones right on the money.

Clausthaler NA offers lots of toasted malt with a good amount of bitter hops to make this brew a winner in my book.

4.2/5  rDev +45.3%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear bright yellow with a very tall white head that had good retention and left a few spots of lacing.
S - classic German lager aroma, sweet malts and Euro-hops.
T - taste is light, crisp and refreshing and that of a good German brew.
F - lighter bodied with a zesty feel.
D - extremely drinkable for a refreshing beer drinking experience without a big buzz...
and it's low in calories to boot!

4.09/5  rDev +41.5%

3.95/5  rDev +36.7%

I am going to be drinking a number of N-A and low-alcohol beers today since I really tore myself up last weekend and I want to balance things out. I will try to be as objective as possible.

From the bottle: "A non-alcoholic malt beverage made the way malt beverages have been made in Germany for centuries. Genuine, pure and natural. Clausthaler is brewed according to the law that's as unique as this beverage. The purest ingredients must be used - water, barley malt, hops, yeast - nothing else. Clausthaler, pure and clean with German taste."

My pour resulted in a finger of rocky bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a strong presence of Saaz and some underlying malt. Mouthfeel was medium with a good balancing of hops and malt on the tongue. Finish was really hoppy, surprisingly so. It started out a little watery, but I think that if I either closed my eyes or had it presented to me blindly, I would not think that I were drinking an N.A. beer. This is mighty impressive and I would recommend it to anyone that is after a tasty N.A. beer. Yes, such people do exist.

3.94/5  rDev +36.3%

This beir has a wonderful bitterness, very like a NA pilsner! ... colour is light golden yellow .. low no head, but some sparse lacing .. Has a wonderful flavour to it, grassy and crisp! .. One of the nicer Non-Alcoholics!!! Clausthaler seems to know how to do NA's!!

3.76/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

(best by 04/20/2015 - poured into a fluted pilsner glass)

A: rocky, broken-silky, white foam atop a very pale, gold-tinged canary yellow... clear liquid... actually, decent number of messy lace rings

S: quite nakedly grainy, day old dinner rolls, dune grass... seems apparent something's missing (esters, medicinal-ity) - malt foundation comes to the fore, has more of a basic husky, wort smell - smells pre-fermented

T: interesting... little sweetness, if any - actually, it's keep mostly in check by a fairly assertive portion of dry, green-grassy bitterness... perhaps a nuance of toasted white bread... actually, a substantial flavor of pilsner malt kernels, a quality reminiscent of a pale malta beverage... aftertaste of spicy hay and multigrain cracker, no residual sweetness

M: somewhat smooth with light-moderate malty roundness... finishes somewhat clean and pretty dry - does feel like some residual sugars are left over, trailing down the palate

O: I kept drinking it till the end... reminded me too much of Malta Goya when all was said and done - and I love that shit!... sort of beer-like flavors going on, but you can tell something's up with it... all-in-all, I'd recommend this, but with the caveat that it tastes like a beer-flavored soft drink

3.74/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours and smells like a premium Euro lager--think along the lines of a fresh Carlsberg. Not quite as saazy as, say, Urquell, but still more going on than what you'd get from Heineken or Stella.

Tastes like a good Euro lager up front. Weedy malt, bitterdry hops, a pleasant kick of skunk. The back end drops off considerably--not much by way of yeast, understandably. But then a nice weedy and skunky aftertaste lingers for a while.

I don't know what so many people have against NA beer. There's plenty of times when I'd love to drink something beer-like but because of personal or professional obligations I can't work up a buzz. This is is very tasty. If drinking it didn't make me look like a recovering alcoholic, I'd have it way more often.

3.72/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle, pours as a slightly haze gold with a thin off-white head. Subtle malt aroma with indistinct spice. Taste is a nicely balanced between Hops and Malt with upfront sweetness and a backend grassy bitterness. Unexpectedly flavorful and drinkable. I'd put this beer up against a Heineken (Lager) any day. Non-alcohol without compromise.

3.72/5  rDev +28.7%

A= pours a bright yellow color with a two inch head that has a little retention due to the bubbles rising up to replenish it and some spotty lacing can be seen.
S= grains mostly with a weird medicinal sort or chalkyt smell. I'm really not sure how to describe it. Maybe a little mothbally.
T= grains and water mostly. Sweet wort taste like unfermented beer which is what this is I suppose. A slight hop bite brushes the back of my tongue.
M= light and refreshing.
D= well its a nonalcoholic beer. I suppose it doesn't get much more drinkable.

3.6/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I usually drink Beck's NA as my NA beer of choice but this is a much better attempt to recreate a german Pils. Good hop nose and a decent full midbody help you beleive that this is regular beer. I will buy this again when the need arises to have no alcohol but still want beer taste.

3.55/5  rDev +22.8%

3.52/5  rDev +21.8%

Poured from the bottle into a shaker pint.

Sudsy and clingy white head of three fingers. Settles with a bit of clumping and a big bubbled puck. Crystal clear. Brass yellow, not too light, and a little bit of pinhead carbonation. Solid looking beer so far.

Sweet sensation on the nose. A touch of maize perhaps, and a bit of whispy grain. Mild faint sensing caramel.

Palate for a NA is noticeably sweet, but seems to focus on the malt. Sweet sugars, faint touch of caramel and almost honey like sweetness. A minimal carbonation sense but doesn't make a flat sensing body.

There's not much to say here, but I can't fault this for what it is.

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

I am rating this to style, which I'm not exactly sure everyone who rates this has done, but here we go:

A: Bubbly, pale straw-yellow with a large foamy head; decent retention and lacing

S: There's a certain level of skunk but also grass, grains, lemon, tea--sweet lemon tea; most importantly this actually smells like a beer which is saying a lot for most of the N/A beers I have tried

T: Crisp European lager up front with faint citrus and some bready and grassy grains; it all fades rather quickly but I'm not picking up on the skunkiness from the aromas

F: A bit thin, which is to be expected but there is enough residual beer left in the mouth to make this work

O: This is what a N/A beer should be; it tastes like beer; it's well made, and it's refreshing; this is the beer I will "pound" when I want to "pound" beer

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

Clear gold with a small white head. Spotty Lacing.
Smell is light herbal and floral hops.
Taste is sweet bready malt and bitter euro hops. Quite full flavored in the world of N/A beer.
Mouthfeel is well carbonated and full bodied.
Overall one of the best of this type.
From a green bottle with a best by date of 102013. Long shelf life!

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

well this should remind me of checking what im buying, not just grabbing something new for the sake of it. does explain the low low price.

same label as the pic, just a brown bottle. best before 04/07.

generic fizzy yellow beer, with medium high carbonation. white smallish head. leaves some light lacing.

aroma is surprising. definite hoppiness there. has the euro pale lager aroma down pat. well at least a better than average version of it. tends toward sweeter malt as it warms. also keep getting some breakfast cereal in the background. maybe just that im a cereal junkie, but its there for me anyway.

taste is light and crisp at first. probably just the higher carbonation helping keep it lively but its not bad. light bitterness, but certainly not too sweet.

easy to drink quickly, which i think is best, at .5%abv. i know we dont want to judge beer when its too cold, but here i think its more appropriate. the sharp crisp character is this beers strong suit, and it loses it quickly as it warms.

3.5/5  rDev +21.1%

The bottle is green, so I was expecting the accursed skunk. Big surprise, it didn't seem lightstruck!

Pours a tad deeper yellow than most Non-Alchohol brews. Decent, but short lived head, a little lacing. It does have a hint of hops in the nose, and the taste is more "beery". That is; a touch of pale malt is noticible. This is overall not that bad, a good choice for those times you can not drink the real deal!

3.49/5  rDev +20.8%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a crystal clear straw yellow body with a thick creamy white head that last and last. The carbonation is a strong stream of tiny bubbles.

S- For the first time ever I detect a strong tomato smell in the beer. As I keep breathing in the aroma it starts to smell more and more like pale malt wort with no hops. But I still have tomato stuck in my head. It's not really offensive but then again I like tomatoes.

T- The taste of chewing fresh pale malt from the mill comes through with a very soft noble hops. The really fresh grain comes through very nicely and is still impressive. After the finish there is a strong bitter hop flavor that hangs in the back of the throat but is not really noticed on the taste buds.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel but it is more due to the fizz that it taste more full. No alcohol warmth noticed in this one.

D- Once I get past the tomato this has some nice distinct grain flavors with a little hops but it could use more.

3.48/5  rDev +20.4%

NOTE - this is reviewed against other NA's and not against other beers. Pours a golden colour with a stark white head. No lacing. The smell has a bit of the typical sweet smell of an NA, but there are also some traces of hops. Taste is very good for the style.. A bit of sweetness, but enough hop during the middle to not make this as sweet as other NA's such as Odouls or Sharps. Finishes crisper than most any NA I have had. Good non obtrusive carbonation, and like most NA's they are very easy drinking. Very non offensive NA. If i had to go somewhere and be a designated driver, I might just bring a sixer of this as it was fairly enjoyable to drink.

Thanks to my distributor for the sample of this and DAB low carb- lord knows i wouldnt have bought them on my own.

3.46/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nice beer for an NA! It's quite carbonated with some white bubbly lace left on the glass. Translucent and clean. Smells like malt and lemon with some slight floral hop notes. Surprised by how much flavor this has: the frontend is sweet, with the middle somewhat dry-ish with some spicy floral notes. The aftertaste was a little wet, but peppery. Crisp and light body. I think this tastes better than Miller 64 or Michelob Ultra. Perhaps it rivals Bud lite/Budweiser, IMO. I could quaff a bunch of these in the summer.

Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei) from Binding-Brauerei AG