Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei) | Binding-Brauerei AG

poor
Read the review
Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)Clausthaler Premium (Non-Alcoholic/Alkoholfrei)

Binding-Brauerei AG

2.9

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 71 | Ratings: 117
3.41/5  rDev +17.6%

Doing a low class bad beer Thursday side-by-side with the two Clausthaler beers, the Premium and the Golden amber. Beer is yellow and clear with a thin white head of small and medium bubbles and moderate carbonation. Looks like a pilsner.

Aroma is slightly sulfury and mildly sweet. I hope its not skunky.

Hmmm....kind of tastes like beer. This is probably the best NA beer I've ever had. Its medium to light in body, got some nice graininess in there and finishes cleanly. There is a mild sulfurish taste to it, but its no worse than a mediocre pilsner that was stored incorrectly. I don't think I'll have it again unless I need a liver transplant but its good to know this beer exists. It's the first example I've drank more than 2 ounces of before pouring it out.

1.85/5  rDev -36.2%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours goldenrod with a mild soapy head, spots of lace, pallid.

S: Light grainy smell, light hops, bit of Euro skunk, smells like a Heineken.

T: The malt flavour is really nowhere to be found, and the somewhat skunky, astringent and vegetal finish make it a hard beer to drink, not very tasty.

M: Medium-bodied in style, frothy, fairly smooth. The best part of the beer by far.

D: I don't expect much from a low alcohol beer, but this was pretty pitiful. If you're buying near beer there plenty of better options.

4.2/5  rDev +44.8%

12oz bottle served in a pilsner glass.

L - clear bright yellow with a very tall white head that had good retention and left a few spots of lacing.
S - classic German lager aroma, sweet malts and Euro-hops.
T - taste is light, crisp and refreshing and that of a good German brew.
F - lighter bodied with a zesty feel.
D - extremely drinkable for a refreshing beer drinking experience without a big buzz...
and it's low in calories to boot!

1.71/5  rDev -41%

12oz bottle

A- Pours a pale golden yellow color with a fizzy white head.

S- The aroma is sweet grain, corn and a touch of hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is grainy malt and corn with a sweetness in the middle and a crisp finish with a touch of hops. My problem with non-alcoholic beers is that most of them taste sweet like they are almost artificially sugared. This one is no exception. Not great in the taste department.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, not a huge fan of this one. Buckler is still probably the "best" non-alcoholic beer I've tried so far.

2.65/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by date of October 2009.

I actually do like a good near-beer when the occasion is right. I grabbed a six of this after reading some positive reviews. Overall I was disappointed in this offering, however.

The beer has a very weak look to it. Not to say that this is a class of knockout gorgeous beers -- its just that this thing does very little to hide its emptiness. After pouring this one in the glass I drank the rest from the bottle. The aroma was relatively uninspired. There wasn't much to describe other than a light malty scent.

The flavor comes off as somewhat sour to me, but overall relatively pale. It came across to me like the best parts of the flavor were left out. I've had other NAs that were not this way. The feel of this beer is predictably light but expected. It's drinkable like seltzer water.

(Review from tasting notes dated 03 Jun 2009)

3.72/5  rDev +28.3%

A= pours a bright yellow color with a two inch head that has a little retention due to the bubbles rising up to replenish it and some spotty lacing can be seen.
S= grains mostly with a weird medicinal sort or chalkyt smell. I'm really not sure how to describe it. Maybe a little mothbally.
T= grains and water mostly. Sweet wort taste like unfermented beer which is what this is I suppose. A slight hop bite brushes the back of my tongue.
M= light and refreshing.
D= well its a nonalcoholic beer. I suppose it doesn't get much more drinkable.

2.82/5  rDev -2.8%

pours clear golden yellow with a 2 finger head that left some lacing

smells like a beer mostly cereal grains tiny bit of hops

taste is all grains with a bad aftertaste that i cant put my finger on

mouthfeel is ok - has decent carbonation and was nice and light

drinkability is so so just like the taste - if you really need that somewhat beer flavor without the alcohol its ok but i would rather drink something i enjoy diet dew

2.69/5  rDev -7.2%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Summit pint glass.

Appearance: Pale, bright gold with some head and lacing. Nice bubbles.

Smell: Slight sweet bready malts and light noble hops. Smell mostly disappears after a couple minutes.

Taste: Slightly sweet grainy and earthy malts and minor spicy hop bite at the end. Funny aftertaste, and as it warms, the sweet earthiness becomes a little unpleasant, so drink it cold!

Feel: Moderate carbonation, relatively light body but not nearly as thin and watery as I expected. Quite nice feel actually.

Drinkability: Easy to drink and not too bad for my first near beer.

1.89/5  rDev -34.8%

Easter with the fam = leftover NA beer.

Clear straw color with a thin white head. Decent lace for a NA.

Smells like apple juice and carmelized cane sugar.

Crisp with a honey and swampy barley ick. Despite being low alcohol, it tastes like something that would cause me to be seriously hungover. Bleh. Aftertaste of right before one throws up and is looking at the ground and spits--that's the aftertaste exactly. Mouthfeel is pleasantly crisp albiet a bit sugary.

Not a big fan.

1.81/5  rDev -37.6%

Appearance: It pours a yellow, straw-like color. It's very clear. Carbonation seems active and yields a two finger white head. It wasted no time dissipating and left a light, sticky lacing on the glass. Not bad.

Smell: The nose is below average, but still exceeds my expectations. It's grainy and earthy. It's a little vegetal and features a distinct corn aroma. That aspect doesn't seem very strong though. There's a little citrus lemon sweetness that livens it up. There's not a lot to offer here past that and that's what hurts it most. But, at the end of the day, it's not an overtly bad smelling beverage. Am I allowed to call this beer?

Taste: It was doing okay until now. The wheels came off the wagon here. There's a slight grainy flavor initially, but it disappears quickly. The vegetal-corn flavor is really strong and tastes...well...bad. It overpowers all other flavors and tarnishes whatever it could have been. There's not much else to talk about here. It's void of any citrus sweetness or hop flavor. There's nothing that can redeem it at this point. It's bad.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It features a very light body. Carbonation is active and very buzzy. The feel leaves a lot to be desired. Drinkability is not good. I'm not sure why anyone would be a repeat visitor here. Well, unless perhaps you're into no alcohol beer.

Clausthaler Premium is not a good beverage. I have a tough time calling it beer. It's more of an impostor. The only real flavor I'm getting out of it is corn. That doesn't work very well. I think this is my first no-alcohol beer ever. I may never have another after this experience.

1.4/5  rDev -51.7%

Beer pours clear and gold with a bright white head, maintains a thin head and leaves sparse lace.

Sweet and and damp like wet paste and wall-paper with an overriding honey smell.

All of the above flavors with an annoying metallic bite.

Slightly heavier than other low alcohol beers I have tried(2). Starts fairly thin, leaves lasting mucilage effect.

Bad choice if your looking for alternative refreshment.

2.97/5  rDev +2.4%

My brother brought these over for tonights B-B-Q.

Poured a light golden color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of grass - reminded me a little of a Pilsner. Tastes of light hops mixed in with a light malty sweetness. As far as the Low Alcohol beers I've had, this one was just as drinkable (if not more) as any of them.

Notes from: 7/3/05

3.1/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle from Trader Joe's.

Poured light pale color with an average frothy white head that diminished slowly with fair lacing.

Light sweet grainy aroma.

Light to medium body with soft carbonation.

Medium sweet syrupy flavor with a medium sweet finish of short duration.

Good for a low alcohol beer.

3.08/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Pale straw color with a soapy white head and marginal carbonation. Good clarity and decent head retention.

S: Smells like a very week Euro Lager. Faint maltiness and that's about it.

T: Surprisingly beer-like for an NA beer. Dry malt up front followed by a fair amount of bitterness relative toit. Clean and crisp. Overall, this is a mild flavored beer that doesn't offend.

M: Super-light body is a bit too fizzy.

D: Good for what it is. Not something I would buy personally, but a good take on the style.

3.14/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Clear bright gold, very bubbly, quarter finger rocky head.

S- Very grainy and bready with some noble hop notes in the background.

T- Slightly sweet malt taste up front which gets "grainy" towards the middle. Very faint hop finish.

M- Quite fizzy, but otherwise pretty smooth.

D- Well I guess if there's no alcohol in this I could just keep going.

True, non-alcoholic beers kinda suck. However this is cleary the best one out there. I would also drink this over bud light. It's nice to know that if my liver takes a shit on me, I can at least have this.

3.13/5  rDev +7.9%

12 ounce bottle, best by end of 09/08. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a clear light gold color with a half inch white head. Head retention and lacing is average. It smells like sweet malt and dough/bread. No hops that I can notice. The aroma is sweet, and non-offensive. No "off" or skunky aromas. The taste is the same as the aroma, bready and sweet. A little bit too sweet for my taste. With that being said, it doesn't taste bad, I've certainly drank worse beers (yeah, I know this is non-alcoholic). Mouthfeel/body is light, it's thin but crisp. Drinkability is OK, it's not hard to drink at all. If I was somewhere that only had NA beers, I'd drink it again. For the style I think it's decent.

2.09/5  rDev -27.9%

Appearance - Light gold. Very clear and bubbly. Thick white, sudsy head with decent retention. Looks appetizing.

Smell - Light chemical maltiness. Similar to a macro.

Taste - Light macro sweetness. Finish is more sour than bitter. Kinda yucky aftertaste. Not a good tasting product.

Mouthfeel - Thin, very watery. Crisp.

Drinkability - Wouldn't drink it if something else was available.

3.94/5  rDev +35.9%

This beir has a wonderful bitterness, very like a NA pilsner! ... colour is light golden yellow .. low no head, but some sparse lacing .. Has a wonderful flavour to it, grassy and crisp! .. One of the nicer Non-Alcoholics!!! Clausthaler seems to know how to do NA's!!

2.73/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance: The pour is golden with a large white head that gets smaller, but lasts until the last sip.

Smell: The nose has strangely sweet-doughy malts, and hops.

Taste: There are the weird sweet-doughy malts, grains, vegetable soup, and noble hops. It's like a light export lager with corn-syrup.

[Edit] rhoadsrage is absolutely right. There is definitely a light tomato flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: I can't know unless it really happens, but if for some reason I couldn't drink alcohol, I don't know that I would turn to this stuff too often. I would certainly drink a lot of beverages over this in that future and it's the flavor, not the lack of booze.

3.44/5  rDev +18.6%

A - Very clear golden color, a 1-inch white head and some beautiful lace.

S - Smells like fresh malted barley, or maybe like I stuck my head inside a bag of dry malt extract. There is also some tomato soup in there.

T - This tastes like a grabbed a handful of pale malt and started snacking. I do that sometimes so this is a pretty nice taste. No crunch of barley kernels though so it's not as satisfying. This isn't nearly as sweet as I expected from an NA, so I am very impressed. There is some decent balance here.

D - Honestly this is an easy drinking NA. I would highly recommend this to any DD at a bar where it was available. Not something I would drink normally but if the doc said I couldn't drink alcohol anymore then this would find its way into my fridge occasionally.

2.58/5  rDev -11%

Straw colored with a white head that yields to lots of lacing.

I’d agree with other BAs that there is a weird undertone of tomatoes or tomato soup in the aroma. In fact, one BA said SpaghettiOs, and darn it all, it’s in there, along with some light malts and grains, maybe a teeny bit of hops.

Mouthfeel starts off crisp, but gives way to an unpleasantness – dry, but not in a good way. Still, the flavor is more grainy than sweet, which is a pleasant surprise for this style.

As long as your expectations of an NA beer aren’t too high, this will pass as drinkable. All in all better than many NAs out there.

3.5/5  rDev +20.7%

well this should remind me of checking what im buying, not just grabbing something new for the sake of it. does explain the low low price.

same label as the pic, just a brown bottle. best before 04/07.

generic fizzy yellow beer, with medium high carbonation. white smallish head. leaves some light lacing.

aroma is surprising. definite hoppiness there. has the euro pale lager aroma down pat. well at least a better than average version of it. tends toward sweeter malt as it warms. also keep getting some breakfast cereal in the background. maybe just that im a cereal junkie, but its there for me anyway.

taste is light and crisp at first. probably just the higher carbonation helping keep it lively but its not bad. light bitterness, but certainly not too sweet.

easy to drink quickly, which i think is best, at .5%abv. i know we dont want to judge beer when its too cold, but here i think its more appropriate. the sharp crisp character is this beers strong suit, and it loses it quickly as it warms.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

My first ever NA beer looks very inviting with a shiny gold luster and a thin, brittle, white head. Aromas are sweet and musty. Here we go, down the hatch. Damn! Not foul at all. I'm impressed. This is extremely light with very thin malt base and a big artificial fruit characer Kind of like someone steeped a red fruit-roll-up in it. That blends suprisingly well with a metallic finish. This is not a great beer, but I'm not spitting it out like I expected to. Its very drinkable, even if that is attributable to its wateriness.

3.49/5  rDev +20.3%

(Served in a strange)

A- This beer has a crystal clear straw yellow body with a thick creamy white head that last and last. The carbonation is a strong stream of tiny bubbles.

S- For the first time ever I detect a strong tomato smell in the beer. As I keep breathing in the aroma it starts to smell more and more like pale malt wort with no hops. But I still have tomato stuck in my head. It's not really offensive but then again I like tomatoes.

T- The taste of chewing fresh pale malt from the mill comes through with a very soft noble hops. The really fresh grain comes through very nicely and is still impressive. After the finish there is a strong bitter hop flavor that hangs in the back of the throat but is not really noticed on the taste buds.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel but it is more due to the fizz that it taste more full. No alcohol warmth noticed in this one.

D- Once I get past the tomato this has some nice distinct grain flavors with a little hops but it could use more.

1.98/5  rDev -31.7%

My first official NA beer review. Pours out to a medium golden color with a foamy white head. Wads of lacing inside the glass. Aromas are weak, some grain was noted, but that was the extent of it. Taste was unappealing; I could not finish this. Flavors of chemical corn, sour, watery malt and an almost salty note did not sit well. Mouthfeel was slighly bubbly, and reminded me of Alka Seltzer. Not a drinking mans brew. Pass. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna get a real beer.

THE BLOODHOUND FACTOR: Benji and Peaches really dug this one. Good. I hate to see beer wasted, as I was gonna just pour it out.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast