Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Clausthaler Golden Amber | Binding-Brauerei AG

Added by kbub6f on 05-21-2001

4.75/5  rDev +45.3%

4.67/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's an NA beer, so I rated it in comparison to what I expect from an NA beer.

Has a decent amber color as advertised. But, I could care less what it looks like. Taste is where it's at ...

Hoppy, skunky but good smell which I like.

Tastes more like an IPA ... almost. Has a perfect hoppy aftertaste. Not sweet like virtually all other N/A beers.

Has a thick mouth-feel for N/A beers.

Overall the best NA beer I've had so far. Should measure all other N/A beers against this.

4.41/5  rDev +34.9%

*Ratings for NA style

A-Light burn orange color...good carbonation and an impressive creamy egg white head on top.

S-European spicy hops...smells a bit like a pilsner. Not a real strong aroma but pleasant enough.

T-Nice hop forward lager flavor....again the impression is a pilsner. A mild bready maltiness...

M-Always the weakest part of an NA but this isn't too bad. It has a light texture but not the watery feel a lot of these do. Crisp finish. Only on the long finish is there a hint that this is an NA and not a full strength beer.

D-I finally found this one near me and I have to agree with its place atop the leaderboard here. I guarantee you could pour this for a lot of people and tell them it was a real beer and only true afficianodos would be able to tell the difference. A nice substitute when you don't want the alcohol. Not as good as most regular beers but better than some of the shit ones.

4.13/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As a casual drinker who prefers bitter, hoppy pale ales, this is the best non-alcoholic beer I've had so far. Unlike most others, it doesn't have that very weak, malty, soapy taste and feel. It actually has a decent bitterness and kick to it. It's the first NA I've had where I could actually tell myself "Yup, drinking beer." Definitely going to get this more often.

Review to style this is quite good. A solid 4.0. light golden/amber with a small whispy offwhite head that dies but leaves a decent lace. Aromas of light malts, and faint, faint hops. Taste is grassy and slightly malty. Mouthfeel is spritzy, dry, and light. Drinkability is good. This is a refreshing alternative for your DD.

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%

Very malty. This is the best low/non-alcohol beer I have ever tasted. Nice tan head, Amber color.

3.88/5  rDev +18.7%

L: ruby red amber maple, fluffy bubbly head
A: malt and cider
F: malty, thin to medium, dry, and sweet
T: fruity, dry, malty, hoppy, caramel, spicy, and earthy
O: closest to an IPA for nonalcohol beer and has amber feel to it too

3.87/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Marke Clausthaler Unfiltered Amber dry hopped with Cascade Hops

3.84/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: pours a light amber color with a nice 3" head that slowly recedes. Thick lacing paints the glass.

Smell: very light aroma of some malts and a hint of grassiness.

Taste: grainy malt is the main flavor component here, with a hint of caramel and some grassy hop bitterness. The malt levels are light compared to a regular beer, but I was surprised at the decent flavor this has compared to some other NA beers I have had in the past.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout and a bit dry towards the finish. Light in body. Aftertaste is short but in no way clean.

Drinkability: for an NA beer, this may be as good as it gets for appearance, flavor, and aroma. Easy to quaff and the price is reasonable.

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

So the top NON/LOW alcohol beer at the ready, strangely ran into this lets see how this goes. And only 75 full of calorie goodness.

A very styrofoamy white top head, not unlike Budweiser, falls slowly but eventually down. Body color is very crystal clear and a one single teak wood color. Interesting brown appearance.

Nose is a nice mix of clove hot spice, dry malted grain, but also a distinct nose of carbon dioxide like gas. It almost smells like coca cola. Otherwise actually pretty good smelling.

Taste is actually pretty decent. Comes across as a light bodied bock of sorts almost. Finishes with honey, sticky coating on the lips, palate is a little watery, but considering how little alcohol is in this, I am surprised there is even this much body in it.

Overall this is quite enjoyable for what it is.

3.78/5  rDev +15.6%

I am going to be drinking a number of N-A and low-alcohol beers today since I really tore myself up last weekend and I want to balance things out. I will try to be as objective as possible.

From the bottle: "A non-alcoholic malt beverage made the way malt beverages have been made in Germany for centuries. Genuine, pure and natural. Clausthaler is brewed according to the law that's as unique as this beverage. The purest ingredients must be used - water, barley malt, hops, yeast - nothing else. Clausthaler, pure and clean with German taste."

The pour netted me about a finger-and-a-half of rocky, tawny head with limited retention. Color was a deep golden-amber (talk about truth in advertising!) with NE-plus quality clarity (I could see into the future) and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose smelled strongly of Saaz hops underlain by a faint maltiness. Mouthfeel was medium with a slight astringency in the mouth, much drier than its Classic counterpart. Finish was mildly hoppy, slightly malty, nicely balanced. Once more, I felt that this was an N.A. beer that could easily have fooled me in a blind tasting. It has a well-deserved reputation as one of the better beers in its style. I would recommend this beer to anyone interested in this style.

3.77/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a light honey orange color with a 1 inch off-white head that fades to a thin film on the top of the beer. Random tiny spots and splotches of lacing dot the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sweet grain and slight honey and citrus notes. Taste is of sweet grain, corn flakes, honey, and a citrus zest bitterness. The bitterness is pretty mild on the palate after each sip. This beer has a very high level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good low alcohol beer and the first I have actually ever had. To me this tastes pretty real and I would definitely get this again if I ever needed such a beer.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. (355 ml) bottle purchased at Cambridge Wine & Spirits, Cambridge, MA
Enjoy the best taste before end: 12/10
Served in a pint glass

I never imagined I would be trying a non-alcoholic brew. However, with my friend being put on prescription pain relievers, the opportunity was perfect to review a new style.

As for the beer, it poured an absolute crystal clear, amber color. The creamy, frothy, off-white, two-finger head slowly faded. Strands of lacing trickled down the glass, with some lasting long after the beer was finished.

The aroma had a smooth, lager-like quality. German malts were noticeable. Toasty, biscuity and, overall, sweeter than expected. Crisp and clean with just a hint of skunkiness.

The taste was similar to the aroma but not quite as rich. Grainy and husky up front with a noticeable caramel malt presence. Toasty and semi-sweet in the center. The finish was crisp, dry and grainy with some residual sugars lingering on my palate. Initially, there was an unpleasant metallic flavor in the finish but this diminished as the beer warmed.

The mouthfeel was fairly standard. Medium bodied with a fine, crisp effervescence. Frothy and fluffy on the palate.

Drinkability was quite good. The beer was crisp, refreshing and rather flavorful for the style.

Surprisingly, I was quite impressed with this non-alcoholic offering. If I did not know any better, I would have guessed this to be a decent "regular" Euro lager. Definitely worth a shot if you want a beer but have to avoid alcohol.

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.63/5  rDev +11%

Served this most tasty beverage in an Erdinger Weissbrau glass. Bottle says enjoy the best taste before 01.09. Nice golden amber hue with surreal lacing.

Smells of malt and a bit of hops. Difficult to tell if this is a "near beer" from the aroma of easy-going hops.

This is the best of the bunch(of near beers). Smooth and malty with not even a hint of adjuncts.

Medium bodied brew with a nice clean finish.

If you enjoy a low-alcohol beer now and then, you simply must give this one a go! A package of glasses arrived today that I won on ebay. What to do? I cain't drank tonite! Along comes Clausthaler Golden Amber Non-alcoholic to save the night!

3.63/5  rDev +11%

Pale amber with a sizeable eggshell head, which retreats to leave all sorts of sticky lace.
Vaguely malty nose with additions of grassy hops and traces of sulphur.
Begins with a light caramel, with a minor suggestion of toastiness. Clean lagered middle. Grassier and actually (lightly) hoppy late. Tastes like beer, which is incredible for an NA.
Light bodied, but, once-again, beer-like.
Awesome NA. I'd actually drink this without so much as a complaint. In fact, I can think of plenty "real beers" that I'd chose this over.

3.61/5  rDev +10.4%

I don't really see much point in non-alcoholic beer, but this one has intrigued me for quite a long time, and today, I was given the chance to purchase a single of it. It poured a crystal clear copper colour with a white head that faded away almost instantly. The smell was quite sweet and reminded me of some German doppelbocks. Loads of sweet malts and that maple pancake syrup smell that Celebrator has. I certaily wasn't expecting that. Taste, too, was nearly entirely malt. Sweet malt. Mouthfeel was, of course, quite thin, but there was a decent level of CO2 present here, and considering what this is, I'm going to be rather lenient. Again, considering what this is, I found it highly drinkable. Would I rather have a St. Bernardus Abt.12? Of course I would, but if I had to choose a non-alcoholic beer for some un-godly reason, I'd choose this hands down over all that American garbage such as O'Douls and Miller Sharp and so forth.

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a pretty medium copper color and had lots of escaping bubbles visible. Nice, thick off-white head with decent lacing. Had a rich, malty aroma with a strong, hoppy background. Almost smelled dry hopped a la Sam Adams Boston Lager on the first whiff, but this faded quickly. Light-to-medium body with some malt but not quite as much as I'd like. A little floral tasting. Pretty tasty, though the body was a little thin. I guess you just can't get good mouthfeel in an N/A beer. Still better than most, though. Drinkability was pretty decent as well.

I'm impressed. Best N/A I've had so far. This is the first one that I'd go out of my way to pour in a glass.

3.6/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This is an excellent N/A beer.

Pours out to a light, amber in the glass with a fairly, large head. There is alot of carboination present. Many bubbles in this one. The taste is a very, pleasant surprise. The caramel malt taste with a slight sweetness, really adds to the drinkability factory and it doesn't leave a dry mouth like most N/A's. If you've had an O'Doul's Amber, this is similar, but with profoundly more taste. This actually tastes like beer.

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

I poured this Clausthaler from about an inch above the glass giving it a big white head above a clear light copper colored beer that has quite good head retention.

A lightly roasted sour grains with light yeast aroma on this light bodied beer.

A light unsweetened caramel malt taste with just a touch of hops bitterness hiding in the background.

A light caramel taste hangs around in a dryish aftertaste.

I was surprised that I actually kind of liked the taste of this non-alcoholic green bottled beer. Crazy, Imagine that.

3.56/5  rDev +8.9%

3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep amber color with perfect clarity and a large snow-white head; lace is truly excellent, carbonation is slight. Aroma is quite pronounced, with strong notes of malt extract and caramel sweetness. Taste begins with slight carbonation and pronounced caramel malts, towards the middle of the taste these assume a tart note. Finish is dominated by herbal hops; these balance out the sweet malts rather well. Mouth feel is excellent for a NA beer. Overall, this is the best non-alcoholic beer that I have tried. It certainly beats a soda for refreshment.

Clausthaler Golden Amber from Binding-Brauerei AG