Clausthaler Golden Amber | Binding-Brauerei AG

3.2/5  rDev -2.1%

3.5/5  rDev +7%

4.75/5  rDev +45.3%

3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

I poured this Clausthaler from about an inch above the glass giving it a big white head above a clear light copper colored beer that has quite good head retention.

A lightly roasted sour grains with light yeast aroma on this light bodied beer.

A light unsweetened caramel malt taste with just a touch of hops bitterness hiding in the background.

A light caramel taste hangs around in a dryish aftertaste.

I was surprised that I actually kind of liked the taste of this non-alcoholic green bottled beer. Crazy, Imagine that.

1.75/5  rDev -46.5%

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

3.08/5  rDev -5.8%

My first ever NA Beer! A cellar temperature bottle poured into a pint glass.

Clear light copper color, with a small off white head. Lots of rising carbonation. Some light lacing.

Musty and slightly skunky aroma. Lots of malt.

Light, malty flavor. Lots of caramel, but not too sweet. Tastes better and is more enjoyable than a lot of regular strength American lagers.

Incredibly light body and a lot of carbonation. Virtually no coat. It just glides down my throat.

For my first NA beer, this isn't that bad. If I had to drink more of this for whatever reason, I wouldn't be disappointed; it's actually pretty enjoyable to sip this and not worry about having to drive after I finish my glass.

1.39/5  rDev -57.5%

12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

I'm only drinking this for the tick and for 'research purposes'

It pours a nearly crystal clear amber with a tiny white head that dies pretty quickly, medium lacing on the sides.

Aroma is of sweet grain, like when your homebrewing and are taking your third runnings. It's not rich and velvety in sugar like the first runnings but a bit harsh and grainy with just some of the sugar left.

Now this is where it gets bad. I'm going to stick with the homebrewing theme because it's exactly what I taste. It tastes like a low gravity unhopped unfermented wort. No bitterness, just grain and a light sweetness. It's not even a good graininess like some light lagers can have. It's just terrible. I can actually taste some stale hops too, not the good kind, the kind you scoop out of the boil kettle after sitting a few hours/day because you were too lazy to clean up.

Carbonation is on par with other lagers but it lacks any crispness and just tastes wierd in the mouth.

Overall this is terrible and it's going down the drain as soon as I submit this review. I'm trying to judge this on it's merits of a NA beer but I can't imagine this is a good example. This isn't even close to a decent beer substitute.

If this is the best NA beer out there then I will have to pick up some bad examples.

3.33/5  rDev +1.8%

1039th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
11.2 oz

Purchased at Trader Joes Chino Hills for $1.09

App- Much more copper in color vs. an amber color really. Takes a nice pour to get a nice one finger head that faded quite quickly and left on a couple very thin lines of cling.

Smell- When I first opened this I got some pretty interesting flavors. English muffin and some damp grainular malts with what I would say is that euro lager skunk. Pretty abrasive on the nose.

Taste- The taste was better than the nose. Slightly more sweet and bready. It has a pretty tasty flavor actually. A lot more than I thought but differs in that it lacks a certain umph that really would make this shine. Yes, I get its a NA but couldve packed a bit less metallic flavors.

Mouth- A fairly medium body which really suprised me. A good amount of bubbles to make this fairly medium. Retains a bit too much metallic notes

Drink- For a NA this was actually pretty good. Unique to me how they can do this. Recommended to those who want "some" beer taste w/o a big ABV hit.

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%

So the top NON/LOW alcohol beer at the ready, strangely ran into this lets see how this goes. And only 75 full of calorie goodness.

A very styrofoamy white top head, not unlike Budweiser, falls slowly but eventually down. Body color is very crystal clear and a one single teak wood color. Interesting brown appearance.

Nose is a nice mix of clove hot spice, dry malted grain, but also a distinct nose of carbon dioxide like gas. It almost smells like coca cola. Otherwise actually pretty good smelling.

Taste is actually pretty decent. Comes across as a light bodied bock of sorts almost. Finishes with honey, sticky coating on the lips, palate is a little watery, but considering how little alcohol is in this, I am surprised there is even this much body in it.

Overall this is quite enjoyable for what it is.

2.91/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a solid golden color with a decent sized white head that displays moderate retention and minimal lace. Smells of skunk, corn, light bits of caramel, slightly bready malty aroma. If it weren't for the skunk this wouldn't smell half bad. Taste is bready and caramel malty with a hint of earth. Again not half bad. Thin body, spirited level of carbonation, bubbly foamy mouthfeel. Lacks any kind of body, tastes okay, if it weren't for the style tick I would have never bought this. Not too bad for an alcohol free I guess.

2.72/5  rDev -16.8%

Bottle (best by 10/20/12) poured into a shaker pint glass. Bottle clearly says Golden amber, but it's green glass, and, the cap says "Premium Extra Herb" And it's 0.5%....hmmmm....mixup of the cap and a change in the beer?

Appearance: Indeed - a orange golden amber clear beer. Initial 1/4" white head died back to a thin skin across the top and a thin ring at the edges. No initial lacing until I started to give it a swirl and then the lacing showed up.

Smell: When cold - skunky hops with some grass and something grainy in the background. With a swirl, more of the same but a strong hit of sulfur as well. It's a strong smelling beer- quite full of aroma but I'm not enjoying it.

Taste: Mostly bitter profile beer. Nothing but bitterness and something astringent when cold - gets much better as it warms up. Metallic + bitter + whole grain flavor up front, a hint of something bready in the middle then some German style earthy hops at the end and a dry crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated - borderline fizzy at times on the palate. Just a hair thicker than water, but it does slate the thirst nicely.

Overall / Drinkability : This is the first time I've ever had a low alcohol beer and I can say that it has a lot more flavor than I expected. Went well with food (pasta with basil + tomato sauce) but I can't see drinking it by itself. With food, pretty good. Without food, interesting, but the smell puts me off a bit. Glad that I could pick up a single and not a whole pack of thet stuff.

3.77/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a light honey orange color with a 1 inch off-white head that fades to a thin film on the top of the beer. Random tiny spots and splotches of lacing dot the glass on the drink down. Smell is of sweet grain and slight honey and citrus notes. Taste is of sweet grain, corn flakes, honey, and a citrus zest bitterness. The bitterness is pretty mild on the palate after each sip. This beer has a very high level of carbonation with a crisp and clean mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good low alcohol beer and the first I have actually ever had. To me this tastes pretty real and I would definitely get this again if I ever needed such a beer.

3.53/5  rDev +8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to drabmuh for locking down this "#1 of style" tick for me. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear copper color with a single-finger off-white head that recedes somewhat quickly into a thin cap. Some slight spotty lacing. The nose brings forward a good amount of caramel; it smells like like caramel malt after being milled. Not so bad at all. A bit of graininess there as well. The flavor is much the same -- tastes just like caramel malt, though there isn't much sweetness there. Just a touch actually. Medium body and good carbonation. Actually not a half-bad brew. Good job.

Clausthaler Golden Amber from Binding-Brauerei AG