Ginormous Imperial IPA | Gigantic Brewing Company

Gigantic Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
giganticbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Developed in a secret testing facility deep in S.E. Portland, Ginormous is powered by seven mighty hops. His mission is simple; to deliver a massive hop punch to those in need.

Beer Style: Imperial IPA ABV: 8.8% 100+ IBU

Label Artist: Rob Reger

Notes: A myriad of juicy citrus hop aromas and flavors envelope your mouth. Definitely not a bitter IIPA, just enough to balance the sweetness of the alcohol.

Availability: All the damn time in Oregon, Washington, California, British Columbia, Alberta, Chicago, Colorado, Hatos Bar in Tokyo.

Added by memphischas on 04-05-2014

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +2%

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.92/5  rDev -0.8%

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.26/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.87/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.95/5  rDev 0%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter.

Pours cloudy with 1/2 finger of head.

Smell: Citrus hops

Taste: Juicy citrusy hops with some boozy sweetness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium with some resiny finish

Overall: A decent Double IPA but a tad too sweet for me in the finish.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.87/5  rDev -2%

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Murky apricot to light copper, with a finger of off-white head that is both frothy and rocky. Some good looking cling to the glass once it dissipates and some flakey floaties (maybe because I didn’t let it stand upright long enough when I removed it from the fridge). But, I happen to not mind the floaties gives me something to scrutinize - almost like sea monkeys so small you aren’t too sure if they are real or just floating debris.

Aromatics: Sweet and flowery. Pretty middle-of-the-road not wanting to give up too much to the nose, but there are some nice citrus, light caramel biscuit, and even some faint bubblegum interweaving in there.

Taste: Ginormous IPA is big on flavour without going too overboard. It has a wonderful balance of hop headiness and sweet maltiness. A somewhat boozy intro but is quickly overcome with its it’s slick saccharin tendencies and bold but tempered pine resin finish that has a sprig or two of licorice and juniper after-flavour.

Feel: Believe it or not, it is actually close to being buttery smooth. There is some super fine grit provided by the carbonation but overall I think it is as smooth as one can get given its style. A decent middleweight and a lot of positive qualities for its 8.8%ABV and 100+ IBU? anatomy… not sure I can believe it is 100+ IBU, you would think it doesn’t have that kind of bitter weight, but then again - maybe it does and it is just expertly controlled!

Overall: Loved it. From the label to the flavour. Of course I am hugely biased in this regard (see my pairing notes). But as an IPA, I like that it is pretty sweet for an extra strong without causing me to gag on dirt finish. I think “The Bros.” have this one pegged correctly. It is a winner for me.

Pairing : I’ve been holding out for this one a long time. It has a Mazinger style robot on the label, and Mazinger/Getter Robo (Shogun Warriors for the US crowd) was my favourite cartoon growing up. So I had to wait till I had the day to myself, no kids, no wife, just me and my DVD player and the first 5 episodes of the original Mazinger Z (1972). I didn’t have enough of this brew to make it last more than 3 episodes let alone trying to get through 5, but I did my best and it was great! Although I think Gigantic’s Grimalkin Amorphotron is better, this is a great second placer for me. And thank the gods that it is close to Halloween because I have been jonez'n for a good Frankenberry or Boo Berry cereal for almost a year (and luckily it’s Frankenberry year! Just picked it up this morning.) Gotta love that sugary sweetness with the bitters in the IPA, I went with about 1/4 cup of milk as opposed to a 1/2 cup, I didn’t want to curdle or disrupt the finer flavours in the brew. Now all my nostalgia aside, this IPA is a great compliment to anything spicy, and for me (if I wasn’t eating a bowl of cereal ) I’d love to try this with a really spicy chili or Chinese hot n sour soup. I think the flavour palate on this particular IPA shouldn’t be complicated with more than one flavour domain - so go spicy to balance the sweet, or go sweet to enhance the wonderful caramel malts.

Ginormous Imperial IPA from Gigantic Brewing Company