1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Pipewrench | Gigantic Brewing Company

Gigantic Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
giganticbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

Description: Our Gigantic IPA aged in Ransom Old Tom Gin barrels for 3 months. Botanicals from the gin meld perfectly with citrusy hops and subtle wood in an incredibly complex beer.

Tasting Notes: The seductive aromatics of juniper berries, orange peel, lemon peel, coriander seed. cardamom pods and angelica root blend perfectly with the bright tropical, citrus fruit and mango hops notes. The palate is rich and silky, with malt flavors punctuated by lively citrus zest and heady exotic notes of coriander and teak. The beer continues with suppleness and power, with the warmth and richness of the malt carrying clean, focused botanicals on a clean, elegant finish.

History & Style: Pipewrench IPA was inspire by the "cocktail" of the same name. A Pipewrench is a shot of gin dropped in your favorite IPA, akin to a Boilermaker. The combination of citrusy hops and complex Gin botanicals mix perfectly in refreshing complexity.

Ingredients: Local Bull Run water, Barley, Hops, Yeast; Malts: NW Pale, German Munich; Hops: Crystal, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Magnum.

My favorite beer ever. Nothing tops it. It has the acidity of a peach, but the powdery tingle of cinnamon. Mind you, it tastes nothing like either of those things. The flavor is of intense hop oils, but more floral than bitter. There is a thick mouthfeel, a hint of spice, and plenty of that lip-smacking sweetness without the beer tasting "cloying." The appearance is murky and orange. The woody notes gained from aging in gin barrels put this beer over the top. A thick, meringue-like head will persist to the bottom of your stein. If you love aged beers, and you also love IPA, this beer will literally ruin you. I'd love to take off a point for the high cost, but it's kinda worth it. I typically score a bomber for around $11. I buy about one a week.

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.3/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have openly copped to my aversion to liquor not because I don't like it, but because I like it far too much! As a young imbiber, some of my worst adventures were due to drinking (especially) bourbon. I still do not have a taste for it as I do for Rye Whisky, but my second fave came as a result of my first Med Cruise in 1985. Yeah, we hit on better beer, like aged Chimay (Red/Rouge), but Heineken was still highly prevalent & upon meeting some English birds in Rome, I got on to (not simply) G&Ts but Tanqueray & tonic! I used to drink gin with mixers like it was going out of style until craft beer came along & I simply got immersed in beer. This will be both a throwback & a melding of two eras in my life. This was another pre-parting of the ways Bottle from Tavour.

From the Bottle: "'Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.' - Bob Dylan"; "Our Gigantic IPA aged in Ransom Old Tom Gin barrels for 3 months. Botanicals from the gin meld perfectly with citrusy hops and subtle wood in an incredibly complex beer."; "[Beer] #24 in the endless series of limited edition and artisan beers"; "Artwork by Olivia Knapp".

More about Ms. Knapp, from the brewery's website: "Olivia Knapp's intricate hand drawn pen and ink style is influenced by European line engravings of decorative relief and scientific specimens from the 16th to 18th centuries. Her tight cross-hatching technique involves long, slow, and steady curved lines that articulate the surface contours of her subjects. Most of Olivia's [my, aren't we familiar?] content explores the relationship between desire, reason, and circumstance. You will most likely find her introspecting, daydreaming or drawing in a white room with high ceilings somewhere in Washington state."

I Pop!ped the cap & began a slow, gentle C-Line pour. I was a little taken aback as it huffed & it puffed & it created a massive three-plus (!) fingers of dense, rocky, foamy, French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. 8=O While I waited for it to fall back, I inhaled deeply. I could really smell the Gin botanicals! Man, talk about a groovy trip down Memory Lane … Color was a deeply cloudy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Lifting it to my nose was a revelation! I could smell the hops, the gin & the wood, all very strongly. The common thinking is that one should not bottle-age AIPAs, but in this case, the few months since it was bottled have only helped it. What if the hops had been enough to overwhelm the gin & wood? 8=( I was blown away by the nose! Mouthfeel was medium, about par for the style. I let it roll around on my tongue to warm & in doing so, the aromatics just seemed to flood my sinus cavity! The wood of the barrel also came through as the hops lent it a very pleasant minty bitterness. Lemon bitters with gin from a barrel. That sums it up. 8=O OMFG! I just realized that I have no Gin in the house! I must go out & get some! I now want a T&T or at the very least, a G&T, in the worst way! In the meantime, I just want to savor this beer. Finish was insanely dry, only a step away from gaspingly dry. It was veddy dry in an English sort of way, don't you know. The botanicals remained on my lips, causing me to lick them in fond memory, like a departed girlfriend. I really don't want to go back to Tavour, but I will be watching for other Gin-barrel aged beers henceforth & now that I know how to make one, a Pipewrench beer/liquor cocktail will be in my future!

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

One of the more creative and exciting beers I've tasted in a long time. Foam forms fairly stiff peaks and the flavor is multidimensional, the hops fornicating with the gin and malts into an unanticipated and rich flavor, only slightly let down by the smell.

4.1/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Orangish body with a soft haze; thick, rocky and sculpted head. Fine light grain aroma with a mild gin fruitiness. The taste somewhat follows the aroma; biscuit with a gin-like quality overall; some woodiness; muted hop bitterness. Heavy body; fairly rich and smooth; nice cross-mix of dull sweetness and boozy dryness.

I've never been a gin fan (I am a bourbon guy), but the subtle aspects of wood and sloe in this IIPA do the beer justice. The gin barrel-aging seems to have amped up the hop bitterness and flavor aspects to refreshingly and enjoyable level. A very fine twist on the imperial IPA style.

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.19/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer pours a beautifully glowing orange and smells like citrus. The taste is citrusy and hoppy, though it is overlaid with a somewhat bitter gin flavor. Whiskey barrels tend to add a mature, deep, rich flavor, whereas this tastes simply more alcoholic to me.

4.17/5  rDev +3%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.43/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The appearance was a nice hazy golden looking orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. There was some light glossy lacing sticking but ending up sliding down. The smell was practically almost perfect. The gin - barrel aging did this beer well as a really nice sweet to woody citrus to big piney/sprucy and somewhat juniper - ish booziness overcomes my nose. The taste took all of those previously mentioned flavors and combined to touch and flavor for a sticky piney taste, thoroughly bittersweet all the way through. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a fairly decent sipping quality about it. The carbonation was good for the AIPA style and for me. It’s not as harsh as expected but I think that could be the gin - barrel aging. Overall, I could be biased but because I love gin and AIPA’s this is an absolutely awesome beer that I would love to have again.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep, cloudy honey. Average head.

Nose is fruit cordial. Not going to lie and say I'd be able to pick out juniper without the label, but I get blackcurrant, elderflower, sweet bread. Barrel hits the palette immediately, but transitions quickly into bitter lemon, grapefruit, tangerine. Maltiness props everything up.

Expected a meme, but this is a beer that invites sip after sip in discerning the flavours. I'm sure we'd all be wet for it if it achieved this with hops alone. A great little experiment.

Pipewrench from Gigantic Brewing Company