Pipewrench | Gigantic Brewing Company

Gigantic Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
giganticbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

Description: Our Gigantic IPA aged in Ransom Old Tom Gin barrels for 3 months. Botanicals from the gin meld perfectly with citrusy hops and subtle wood in an incredibly complex beer.

Tasting Notes: The seductive aromatics of juniper berries, orange peel, lemon peel, coriander seed. cardamom pods and angelica root blend perfectly with the bright tropical, citrus fruit and mango hops notes. The palate is rich and silky, with malt flavors punctuated by lively citrus zest and heady exotic notes of coriander and teak. The beer continues with suppleness and power, with the warmth and richness of the malt carrying clean, focused botanicals on a clean, elegant finish.

History & Style: Pipewrench IPA was inspire by the "cocktail" of the same name. A Pipewrench is a shot of gin dropped in your favorite IPA, akin to a Boilermaker. The combination of citrusy hops and complex Gin botanicals mix perfectly in refreshing complexity.

Ingredients: Local Bull Run water, Barley, Hops, Yeast; Malts: NW Pale, German Munich; Hops: Crystal, Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, Magnum.

User Reviews & Ratings
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 27 | Ratings: 171
Reviews by festizio:
4.17/5  rDev +3%

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a bomber from the refrigerated section of the Belmont Station this past Saturday for $10.39. No visible bottling date but my hope it has been in the fridge since bottling.

Beer poured orange with a nice white head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose has light hints of juniper berries, pine, and citrus.

Taste is lemony, piney from the hops and slightly medicinal from the barrel, botanicals, light grapefruit melding nicely with pale and caramel malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall the flavors from the base beer which seems solid and the gin barrel light aging come together subtly which is well played in my book. Definitely give it a shot if you have some extra cash and want a twist on your typical IPA.

My favorite beer ever. Nothing tops it. It has the acidity of a peach, but the powdery tingle of cinnamon. Mind you, it tastes nothing like either of those things. The flavor is of intense hop oils, but more floral than bitter. There is a thick mouthfeel, a hint of spice, and plenty of that lip-smacking sweetness without the beer tasting "cloying." The appearance is murky and orange. The woody notes gained from aging in gin barrels put this beer over the top. A thick, meringue-like head will persist to the bottom of your stein. If you love aged beers, and you also love IPA, this beer will literally ruin you. I'd love to take off a point for the high cost, but it's kinda worth it. I typically score a bomber for around $11. I buy about one a week.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev -2.2%

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have openly copped to my aversion to liquor not because I don't like it, but because I like it far too much! As a young imbiber, some of my worst adventures were due to drinking (especially) bourbon. I still do not have a taste for it as I do for Rye Whisky, but my second fave came as a result of my first Med Cruise in 1985. Yeah, we hit on better beer, like aged Chimay (Red/Rouge), but Heineken was still highly prevalent & upon meeting some English birds in Rome, I got on to (not simply) G&Ts but Tanqueray & tonic! I used to drink gin with mixers like it was going out of style until craft beer came along & I simply got immersed in beer. This will be both a throwback & a melding of two eras in my life. This was another pre-parting of the ways Bottle from Tavour.

From the Bottle: "'Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.' - Bob Dylan"; "Our Gigantic IPA aged in Ransom Old Tom Gin barrels for 3 months. Botanicals from the gin meld perfectly with citrusy hops and subtle wood in an incredibly complex beer."; "[Beer] #24 in the endless series of limited edition and artisan beers"; "Artwork by Olivia Knapp".

More about Ms. Knapp, from the brewery's website: "Olivia Knapp's intricate hand drawn pen and ink style is influenced by European line engravings of decorative relief and scientific specimens from the 16th to 18th centuries. Her tight cross-hatching technique involves long, slow, and steady curved lines that articulate the surface contours of her subjects. Most of Olivia's [my, aren't we familiar?] content explores the relationship between desire, reason, and circumstance. You will most likely find her introspecting, daydreaming or drawing in a white room with high ceilings somewhere in Washington state."

I Pop!ped the cap & began a slow, gentle C-Line pour. I was a little taken aback as it huffed & it puffed & it created a massive three-plus (!) fingers of dense, rocky, foamy, French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. 8=O While I waited for it to fall back, I inhaled deeply. I could really smell the Gin botanicals! Man, talk about a groovy trip down Memory Lane … Color was a deeply cloudy Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9). Lifting it to my nose was a revelation! I could smell the hops, the gin & the wood, all very strongly. The common thinking is that one should not bottle-age AIPAs, but in this case, the few months since it was bottled have only helped it. What if the hops had been enough to overwhelm the gin & wood? 8=( I was blown away by the nose! Mouthfeel was medium, about par for the style. I let it roll around on my tongue to warm & in doing so, the aromatics just seemed to flood my sinus cavity! The wood of the barrel also came through as the hops lent it a very pleasant minty bitterness. Lemon bitters with gin from a barrel. That sums it up. 8=O OMFG! I just realized that I have no Gin in the house! I must go out & get some! I now want a T&T or at the very least, a G&T, in the worst way! In the meantime, I just want to savor this beer. Finish was insanely dry, only a step away from gaspingly dry. It was veddy dry in an English sort of way, don't you know. The botanicals remained on my lips, causing me to lick them in fond memory, like a departed girlfriend. I really don't want to go back to Tavour, but I will be watching for other Gin-barrel aged beers henceforth & now that I know how to make one, a Pipewrench beer/liquor cocktail will be in my future!

3.74/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev +1.7%

22 oz. Bomber

Poured into a tulip a pretty nice clean/clear dark golden orangy color, pretty nice carbonation, with a pretty nice thick/creamy one-finger off-white head, which also leaves some pretty nice sticky lacing behind. The nose is hoppy, malty, with some nice gin notes, with some nice citrus, kinda piney. The taste is pretty nice, hoppy, malty, with some gin, nice touch of citrus. Medium body, ABV hidden pretty well, a different take on the style. Overall, a pretty tasty brew.

3.48/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle - hmmmm, gin and west-coast IPAs should be complementary, in theory, but I suppose the proof is in the pudding.

This beer pours a murky, dark apricot amber hue, with two chubby fingers of weakly foamy, somewhat chunky, and fairly bubbly off-white head, which leaves some sudsy ocean atoll lace around the glass as it gently subsides.

It smells of a sharp citrus and pine needle bitterness, melded with a floral, woody, and earthy botanical essence, some crackery, grainy pale malt, tame caramel, dank wet leaves, and a hovering medicinal booziness. The taste is semi-sweet, grainy caramel malt, a twinge of sugary toffee, a blend of muddled citrus, pine branch, floral ester, juniper berry, and generic herbal bitterness, and some softly probing gin-like alcohol.

The bubbles are swinging in quite a low-fi manner on the ol' frothometer, the body a sturdy medium weight, and mostly smooth, a bit of that dual heat poking its nose in where it's not welcome. It finishes well off-dry, the base caramel malt reasserting itself, while the guest green things finish their playful tussle with the inherent hops.

Well, this certainly comes off a whole lot better than I was expecting (barrel aging of any sort for IPAs just seems inadvisable to me), as the gin here seems able to aid and abet the big hoppiness of a DIPA, rather than depress or override it. Tasty, interesting, and still duly weird - I've been getting a lot of that lately.

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Drank immediately after regular Gigantic. Differences are huge...loads more bright orange here, along with some pine needles and smooth spirit bite from the gin barrels. I'm not a gin drinker, but I really like what gin barrel aging can bring to the table. An enjoyable beer...thanks Duane!

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.22/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%

3.79/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.39/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.7/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast