The Shape Of Hops To Come | Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company

Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
neshaminycreekbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

“Can I scream….” for more hops? You sure can. Two row American barley jammed packed with as much Apollo, Newport, Simcoe, Topaz, and Citra hops we could get our hands on, The Shape of Hops to Come is an 8.5% ABV American-styled imperial IPA hopped with Apollo, Newport, Simcoe, Topaz, and Citra hops that’s got a ton of bitterness, along with juicy, dank resiny pine-like, and citrus forward hop character that is worthy of it’s name. Dry hopped for two weeks this hop bomb has as much hop power we can muster!"

Added by jhartley on 08-15-2014

#997

Reviews by cfadams17:
3.16/5  rDev -25.5%

3.85/5  rDev -9.2%

The beer is undated but is this years release and where I bought the beer it was probably from the 1 July canning run.

The beer pours out into a Duvel glass a clear bright amber orange color with a 1/2" ivory head that persists for bit before receding to a ring around the glass and layer of foam covering the surface of the liquid. Sipping creates small patches and speckles of lacing, most of which slide back down to the liquid. Eventually the head is mostly gone with just thin island of foam remaining.

The aromas include lots of citrus zest including grapefruit and possibly tangerine, and there also seems to be pine resin and there are some hard to pick up tropical fruits such as mango playing around in there.

The flavors are much as predicted from the nose with grapefruit zest and pine resin dominating. There's also a touch of those tropical fruits. Overall and throughout there is a strong bitterness. Despite the high ABV the alcohol is reasonably well concealed here with only a faint alcohol burn.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth but slightly prickly from the moderate carbonation. The finish begins about midway through as the bitterness and what other flavors are showing fade into dryness that, combined with the complex profile of flavors that precede it, invites another sip, if only to sort out the complexity.

Overall this is a bitter hop bomb of a beer with lots of hop flavors but that said I'd prefer the other hop flavors to be more forward and easy to pick up. The beer has a lot to recommend it and I'm fine with having a few more. That said, this is not a beer for regular consumption but rather is for a special treat in that it's a high ABV beer (9.5%) in a 16oz can with lots of intense bitterness with other flavors in a really secondary role. So it is what some think of as a West Coast IPA but without a lot more than intense bitterness going for it. That combination makes it, for me, a no more than one a night beer and not one I'll be going out of my way to repeat once my supply is finished.

Note: Having a can on the 31st of July and it does seem the intense bitterness is receding a bit to allow the other hop flavors come out to play.

Note: Having my last can on the 7th of Aug. and the intense bitterness has less intense and for me this is definitely a much better balanced beer with lots of complexity in the interplay between the malt and the hop flavors other than bitterness. If they start dating their beers I may buy this again as it seems to me that the sweet spot for me is at about 3 or 4 weeks from canning.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to subract a bit from the looks since this seems a bit overcarbed on first pour but the head subsides fairly quickly rather than retaining. Doesn't lace much. That said, I don't count appearance that much in my overall impression. Smell is ripe with fruit and rind, deep with resin. The taste follows with waves of flavor and no dominant player - perhaps the result of the all-star team hop blend - from ruby red to apricot ... and lots of bitter, fruit pith flavor. A lot of fruit forward IPAs tend to skimp on the bitter and go all Donald Duck OJ but this maintains clarity and gives you a wallop of IBUs. A really stellar DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

This is the beer these other Doubles which they were.

4.16/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a can into a snifter. Light copper color with low visibility. A half inch cap of thick head sits on top of the beer. The nose is sweet and very noticeable the second you pour it. Lots of fruit and pine with a touch of resin in the scent . Bitter hop hits my taste buds on the first sip. I can feel it in the back of my jaw. As my mouth adjusts I taste a slight malt, pine and orange/grapefruit with that burnt resin on the end. There is a hint of syrup on both the scent and flavor. The mouthfeel has lots of carbonation zip up front with a velevetly smooth finish. Great beer with hardly any trace of alcohol due to its complex flavor.

I have been drinking IPA's since 1997. I have tried hundreds of different IPA's. THIS BEER IS THE BEST ONE I HAVE EVER TASTED!! I signed up on Ba just to share the hop lover's dream that this beer is. Nasty, Thick, Chewy HOPS that blow your taste buds up. This beer makes 90 minute, and others like it, taste like stale urine. Just an awesome job whoever dreamed this brew up....you are a HOPS HERO!!!

4.18/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

L: just about brilliantly-clear, pale amber liquid... spitty, loose-sudsy foam that crumble-collapses, leaving a holed-up, caulky collar... this head should be skin tight - no love

S: sticky citrus peel, spicy phenols, acidic pineapple juice... not much naked booze, cookie-like malt lays low below... faint center plume of a perfumy floral note... overall, nice resin intensity and inviting hoppiness

T: spicy-resiny, light-moderate caramel underbelly, peppery orange surge atop... spicy surge of booze midway... grapefruit flesh and bold-tannic, mildly-herbal bitterness slowly unravels and swells in the aftertaste - vaguely cinnamon-like phenolic flavor last thing to build

F: on the threshold of medium-bodied, enhanced by a thin resinous blanket... wonderfully dry finish, mild-moderately hot (via booze) and numbing (via phenol) afterglow - but this is all up in the front half of the palate - only a delicate Indian burn at the back of the throat

O: the sunburnt citrus flavor (speckled by a whisper-soft malt toastiness) is richly-woven and dense, but ultimately muddled - as a beer with 5 hops will be... I can pick out some nuances of the Simcoe and less of the Citra, but as for the others? a toss-up... knock this down to 3 hops and let's let some more little facets of these hops to emerge... well put together either way

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm very excited about this beer. Is it Heady Topper?? Not quite, but darn good, and for me it's darn close. The best part is this is available, it's affordable (compared to other brews of this caliber), its' available in cans, and it's a Pennsylvania beer (I like to buy local if I can). Right now this is my go-to brew. Thanks to Neshaminy Creek for a job well done. Give this one a try.

4.86/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

First time trying. Poured from 16 oz can into chalice. Pours golden with a nice white head that dissipates quickly. Smell is spectacular - heavy on grapefruit. Mouthfeel is nice, not too thin and a nice tingle. Taste is world class. Smell makes you think it will be a citrus bomb but great blend of hops gives it a balance of juicy and bitter. Overall: this is a world class beer. Neshaminy's other brews I've tried have been unassuming- not bad but not inspiring. So this is a left field wonder. Can't recommend it enough.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Let's start by saying, I haven't been impressed by Neshaminy Creeks's line of IPA's. This however, is a little different.
Look: Pours a medium gold with a quickly diminishing head. No lacing. (4)
Aroma: Fresh and loaded with piney and citrusy and earthy hops. (4.75)
Taste: If you like bitter hops, you'll like this. Again, a piney/citrus/earthy blend. (4.5)
Feel: Medium to heavy with average to above average carbonation. (4.25)
Overall: The best I've tried from Neshaminy Creek. Could easily split a 4 pack with a fellow beer lover. (4.25)

Neshaminy Creek's IPA's tend to have a bitter after taste that really lingers, and it's not my thing. There was not nearly the bitter after taste as the others, maybe because it is really loaded with bitter hops. Drink this from the can.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

L- Poured gently into a brandy snifter. About 1 1/2 fingers of head that leaves a residue as it dissipates. Clear golden color.

S- Dank Resin.

T- No punches pulled with this one. It's a punch in the mouth. Resin, pine, with a bitter aftertaste.

F- Thick for an IPA.

O- I love this beer. This is a west-coast IPA on steroids. I've described this as a step or two below Troeg's Nimble Giant, but it's available year-round. Not as complex as Nimble Giant but it'll do until July.

Great Job Neshaminy Creek!

Cheers!

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

16 oz. can poured into nonic
(courtesy of @TongoRad)

L: murky gold, plenty of amber in it, looks like it might clear up over time, and it pushes up quite a head ... about an inch tall, maybe a little more, offwhite/beige in color and sticky enough to leave behind a loose chain of beer foam to stare at lovingly; keeps most of skin and a decent-sized collar of beige foam; doesn't lace much but it's still a very pretty beer

S: sweet pine tar, pine, grapefruit ... pretty big malt character behind all those hops, biscuity sweet malt

T: slightly toasted grapefruit, grapefruit peel, pine ... the malt sweetness is evident but not overboard, and I'd swear it has a twinge of that Vienna toasted flavor to it, only a twinge; plenty bitter and the aftertaste is a lingering smack of bitter pine and grapefruit

F: firmly in the middle of the weight scale and a perfect mix of ale slick and soft with good crispness from the carbonation; can't get better

O: great mix of hops that give it a full-on pine/grapefruit bitterness that is quite tasty; the malt is deftly done, allowing it to have that biscuity smacking sweetness that's almost like biting into a hop-filled donut, but it doesn't go beyond that into the mushy range of malt overtake that gets in the way of the hops; like most beers in this category, I imagine I'd love this enough to marry it fresh out of the vat, but this canned version should tickle any American DIPA lover's fancy

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is fantastic. I had it out of a can into a tulip. I had it from the can. And had it on draft. This is a great beer. Taste is very floral with power hop flavor. very enjoyable in any type of glass or can.

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Appearance: Pours clear and amber colored; the frothy head sticks nicely and leaves some squiggly lacing action

Smell: Very dank, with a mineral character as well as orange and tropical fruit tones

Mouthfeel: Biscuity in the base, with dank tropical fruit (pineapple and mango) and clementine orange tones developing; the bitterness wallops that tastebuds, through the middle, with a mineral character that lingers in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Way too bitter for me in 2016; good in its own way but I see a dichotomy building in what folks seek in IPAs these days

Thanks, cp45, for the opportunity; I tried another can in 2017 and did not get the mineral character - still very bitter but the hops come through more boldly; bumping up the scores somewhat

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Poured from the crowler into a Duvel tulip. Body is clear dark golden-orange with a 1+ finger rocky ecru-colored head that retains well, leaving behind good lacing.

S: Not a strong nose. Some leafy hops, some pine needles. Tea-like in some ways.

T: Whoa. Given the subdued nose, I am surprised by the bitter onslaught. Leafy, herbal and piney hops wash over the tongue, along with a bit of grapefruit pith and peel, and leave a dry, lingering bitterness. Still, there is a modest, sweet malt foundation underneath it all. It's not balanced - no way, too bitter for that - but it's not one-dimensional.

M: Medium in heft, carbonation is modest.

O: Very good. It's been a while since I had an old-fashioned, mouth-puckeringly dry and bitter DIPA like this one.

3.4/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I was excited to try this one but unfortunately it wasn't close to Living up to the hype. The alcohol is much to present and I get little if any tropical flavors. Mostly grassiness and alcohol. Super malt forward for my liking. Won't search this one out again.

Had this at the brewery after hearing about all the hype I was really excited to try everything I could get my hands on. The beer pours a clear light orange color with about a half finger of bright white head. Not too much going on in the aroma department, mostly grass and malts and maybe some hints of light fruit. I decided to let the beer warm up for a few minutes and see if anything changed....some of the fruitiness did come out a bit more. The taste followed suit with grassy bitterness dominating the palate and a bit of alcohol in the mix as well. really surprised this beer is so hyped...not a fan :/

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can poured into a 16oz Kane Belgin Tulip Glass

A: Crystal clear, filtered, orange with tints of copper. A classic example of what a double IPA should look like really.
S: WOW, there's alot going on in here. Lots of fresh juicy hops, pine needles, dankness, tropical notes, mango, pineapple, Citra for sure comes through in the nose. Also malty sweetness. Really, awesome smelling double.
T: This is how a double IPA should Taste, Hoppy! Not like a barley-wine! Sharp initial bitterness up-font followed by a huge serge of tropical fruits in the middle of the pallet. End of the pallet there comes the bitterness again almost twice as strong as the initial with a super bone dry finish. Damn this beer taste amazing. I admit that its pretty bitter but there is also so much hop flavor involved that it makes me want more!

Final Thoughts: This is an amazing double IPA! And I usually don't like DIPAs because there are to malty most of the time. This beers is like a cross between a hoppy west coast IPA and a East Coast New England style IPA, that's the best way describe this beast!
[UPDATE 4/9/18 THIS REVIEW STILL HOLDS TRUE - WORLD CLASS BEER]

2.58/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Purchased a case at the last bottle release, I'm not positive of the canning date, it's the batch with the stick on labels due to can manufacturer change.
I only had a four pack of this beer before it took a hiatus. That four pack was outstanding... aroma, body, flavor... unfortunately this case is an average beer at best. A light bodied bitter IPA with a high abv. It lacks aroma and depth of flavor. I'll be shocked if more people are not disappointed with this first batch since the re release of this once fine beer.

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to thebeers for this PA native gem.
Piney, earthy, grassy with a citrus note in the nose.
Flavor is more of the same with more of a bitter finish.
Mouthfeel is on the solid side for style. I like that.
Overall, all of the nuances lean to the bitter. Nothing juicy here. A little old school. I like it.

4.49/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased 4 pack cans : Total wine river edge NJ.

L: filtered IPA . Looks like a Beer .... come on man ! We're talking beer here !.
S: I totally got an orange aroma from first subjective smell. Liking it.
T: Dank Dank Dank..... what I was expecting, the bitter citrus hit me and my subjective taste buds said : "Hey Now !" For a hot day in NJ an ice cold bitter citrus bomb was what I was looking for.
F: I never tell you all about feel . "Deal with it"........
O: I would get this again no problem. What they call the "West coast style" and the bitterness up front.... but cut with citrus, I enjoyed.
NJ, NY PA craft brews I have been really Enjoying.

And That's My Review.