Tribute Tripel | Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company

Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
neshaminycreekbrewing.com

Style: Tripel

“This is the greatest and best song (beer) in the world… Tribute.” Not only are we huge Tenacious D fans, but we’re also huge Belgian Tripel fans, so this is our “Tribute”. Brewed with a whole lot of Pilsen malt, Hallertau and Saaz hops, as well a pinch of coriander and bitter orange peel, Tribute has a soft malt backbone that’s paired with a fruity, citrusy flavor, and spicy, yet not over done phenolic character imparted from our use of an authentic Belgian yeast strain. At 9.3% ABV the alcohol is well hidden and very deceptive, and the dry finish will leave you eager for more."

Added by rfgetz on 07-23-2012

3.74/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

Neshaminy Creek Brewing Co. "Tribute Tripel"
12 fl. oz. can, no production coding or freshness dating.
$2.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Interesting can. Very hazy golden body with an orange cast beneath a massive head of off-white - I let it get away from me a little, which is normally OK, but apparently this one has really good head retention to so I have to wait. The lacing that's forming as the head falls is quite nice, so I assume that it'll be like that throughout the glass. The aroma is a little bit yeasty, spicy like coriander seed, and just a touch banana-like over sweet grainy malt. Wow! The flavor is much fuller than the aroma suggests! It's loaded with fruit (apple, plum, tangerine, banana, mango) and sugary malt that somehow dries in the finish, perhaps due to the black pepper spiciness of the yeast, the coriander, and the hops. It's floral, spicy, mildly herbal, and just a touch grassy. A median bitterness helps to balance it as well - ahh, I just got it - as does some alcohol, which is part of the peppery spiciness I'm finding in the finish. Thankfully that's not overdone as I can sometimes find too much peppery spiciness, or alcohol, distracting. No, this is very well balanced and rounded. This could be a dangerous beer for me, I'd gladly drink two of these in a row, and then, when I'm not thinking properly, have another! Looking back the lacing was not as good as I'd hoped it would be but the head retention remained. Medium to medium-light in body with a bristling, finely effervescent carbonation. Certainly worth trying!

4.48/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Optics are fine, maybe a tad lacking in head. Smell carries a lot of the orange & coriander with a bit of phenol. The phenol is much more prevalent on the tongue, however, and really dominates the pallete. You get a teeny bit of some citrus and the malt, but anything else is washed out. Lots of breweries overdo the phenolic aspect in tripels & so does this one. Not bad, but not one to revisit.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.67/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.77/5  rDev +26.5%

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Can copped at Stewart Leonard's. Nice American rendition of a classic Belgian style. Cloves and coriander predominate the brew. Yeast is apparent. Drinkable despite the ABV. Not a bad stab at the style.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.31/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.26/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Moonshine - Philly. Less than stellar appearance, soft creamy head. Subdued nose, but taste brings it back to center. Musty, herbal, floral, buttery mix. Body just a shade thin. Decent tripel.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Since they put it in a CAN, I CANnot help but want to review it! I am reminded of another fine CANned beer from PA who I paraphrase here: From the banks of the mighty Neshaminy, we tender this premium Tripel beer for your enjoyment as a Tribute to your good taste. It comes from the Creek to you. The CANQuest (tm)'s lawyers are standing by!

From the CAN: "This is not the greatest Tripel in the world, this is just a Tribute."; "Authentic Belgian Tripel".

The Crack! released some foaming action through the vent, so I sat back & allowed it to play itself out before I CANtinued. Tri(pel) as I might, I could not reduce the turbidity in this beer, even with the gentlest of Glugs. Color was a hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4- 5) and the Gelt Gang said that they could not be bothered. There was a finger of foamy, tawny head for a brief moment, but then it fell to wisps. I really got a whiff of vanilla on the nose! Interesting. Mouthfeel was medium with a prickly sensation on the tongue from the carbonation. Warning, Will Robinson! Danger, danger, danger! The alcohol was imperceptible & I drank off half of it without thinking. Oh my! The taste was of black pepper, oranges, vanilla & old newspapers, the latter undoubtedly a product of the yeast. A Tripel from a CAN! I wonder what the Belgians would have to say about this. Personally, I am all for it, since the idea of lugging bottle-conditioned beers around is anethma. When it became apparent (not clear) that I was not going to achieve any sort of clarity, I roused the lees in the CAN & let fly. This brought forth three-plus fingers of rocky, tawny head with great retention and also greatly increased the turbidity in the beer itself. Sticky lacing began to form and I began to CANtemplate who was going to clean up afterwards. Now, the alcohol was much more pronounced! Whew! The black pepper flavor really stood out, as did the musty, papery-like taste. The finish was bone-dry, the result of the coriCANder & the yeast. I was gasping for air and reaching for my inhaler afterwards! This will definitely get things rolling!

Would I put it in a cooler? I think back to the MAD Magazines of my youth & Antonio Prohias' "Spy vs. Spy". White Spy would be on the beach, lounging in a folding chair, next to a cooler and an inflated inflatable raft. I, as Black Spy, would wait until he either a) falls asleep or b) heads for the lav & replace all of his B/M/C Light/Lite beers with a mixed case of this & TenFidy & laugh hysterically as he gets on his raft later and floats away, never to be heard from again. Sharks nibble at his dangling fingers & toes since he is passed out & well past the breakwall in the last panel.

3.69/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tribute Tripel from Neshaminy Creek Brewing Company