Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Notes: Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, All Natural Chocolate and Peanut Butter
Reviews: 84 | Ratings: 470 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
jockstrappy from Pennsylvania

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a deep cola brown with a creamy tan head.

Chocolate forward nose, peanut butter seems absent at this point. Mild roasted malt blend is present.

Flavor begins with an easy porter profile, toasty caramel and nutty sweetness, mild coffee note as well. Then the chocolate flavor comes on, peanut butter swoops in at the finish.

There is a quaffable porter backbone that is there throughout. The chocolate and peanut butter are there, but they don’t overwhelm. I could drink this all year.

Mar 09, 2021
JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Two brown 12 oz. bottles poured into a clear glass liter mug allow an observation or two. First, the liquid is as brown as something can be without being black. There's little glass lacing and head, but both are enduring. No mistake about it, a chocolate-peanut butter aroma is obviously in the air. The taste, especially at the immediate finish is nailed as milk chocolate/peanut butter. After that, a slight roasted malt and espresso taste concludes the experience. The mouthfeel is light and the delivery is closer to watery than velvety. Still, it's a nice desert brew, but it would be hard to make a meal out of it.

Feb 08, 2021
DaveMaciolek21 from New Jersey

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I like my porters and stouts robust and full-bodied. So when I poured Purple Monkey, I was thinking, "uh-oh." Thin-bodied, almost no head, and reeking of peanuts--not a good sign. Expecting dire, I was mildly happy getting mediocre. The beer is unbalanced through the glass, sometimes hitting alcohol pockets, or heavily peanut-y sips. The peanut taste seems confectionate, not entirely natural despite the brewer's claims. Maybe one too many times through the dishwasher?

Jan 06, 2021
deadonhisfeet from Kentucky

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chocolate peanut butter porter. Poured from a bottle into a Fat Head's pub glass. A rough pour produces a dark mahogany color with 2 fingers of fine tan foam. Good retention. On the nose I get roasted peanuts and roasted malt.

Medium body with a silky feel and a balanced flavor. Roasted malt, toffee, peanut butter, and some caramel up front with a little cocoa at mid-palate. The peanut butter is definitely noticeable, but it doesn't overwhelm the other flavors. It's very well done. Finishes with mild flavors of malt and espresso. Overall, a pleasant porter, but I tend to prefer standard porters without additional flavors. Still, this one is worth trying if you like peanut butter.

Nov 29, 2020
KRug from Massachusetts

3.84/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I always welcome peanut putter in a beer, but it's hard to do right. I do enjoy that it's a porter for a base this time around instead of a stout

Pours a very dark brown with a slight red glow and a finger of off white head that quickly fades to a cap and leaves no lacing

The nose is a bit one dimensional on this one. Mostly just salted peanuts and milk chocolate. There's really not much roast behind this one, just a hint of crackery malt and a touch of caramel

The taste is at least more interesting here. To start things off, I get peanuts and roasted barley to keep it balanced. On th swallow, a hint of chocolate comes in to smooth things out, along with linger notes of peanut butter, dark bread, and just a touch of hops. A better taste than I expected

A medium body pairs with light tingly carbonation that offers a smooth drink. However, it drinks a little too sticky. It could probably stand to lose some abv to make it more dry without losing flavor

This was pretty good, but I don't think I could have too many of these. A passable peanut butter beer with a light porter resemblance

Oct 02, 2020
gustation_beer_hound from Wisconsin

1.28/5  rDev -66.3%

Tastes like a carpet that was repeatedly soiled on by a doberman pinscher. So happy I bought 1 bottle in a make your own 6 pack. I might dump this thing out.

Feb 22, 2020
thebeerguy31 from Massachusetts

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: 3.75 black with small tan head
Smell: 4.25 similar to hazelnut. Chocolatey and peanut butter. Really like the peanut butter aspect.
Taste 4.25: mostly follows nose. peanut butter is unique (to me at least) addition. Really delicious and couldn't get enough.
Feel: 3.75 medium body, low carbonation. pretty smooth. would like something slightly heavier for porter.
Overall: 4 really glad i tried something new and would get this again.

Ended up getting really bloated and did not feel like finishing 20 oz. Could be due to beer or other food/stomach issues at the time.

Feb 03, 2020
irs from New Jersey

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

opaque deep brown with almost no foam.
Strong nose. Lots of chocolate and roastyness. very warming. super nice.
the flavor is inversely disappointing. flat and cardboard. i picked this 12oz bottle up from Joe Canal's in Lawrenceville along with another bottle (Curieux) that was suspiciously cardboardy. I think I may need to try this from somewhere else and revise my review.

Dec 31, 2019
good_to_sea from Pennsylvania

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Peanut butter/adjunct porters are not my favorite style, but this is not bad. The peanut is a bit too heavy in terms of both smell and taste. There is a nice bitterness -- if this beer were too sweet, I think I would really hate it.

Dec 27, 2019
DeuilEtoiles from Pennsylvania

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I don’t know. I kinda hate this. Yet, after a bit, I begin to enjoy it. It’s unique, certainly.
Pours like a typical hoppy stout. I see ZERO lacing. It’s dark brown but not quite opaque.
Smell kinda turns me off. I think that’s peanut butter and... bakers chocolate? If this was something I was going to eat I would enjoy the smell nose. How is this going to translate to a porter?!
First taste is jarring. Not at all pleased. Second sip I begin to understand. Third, well, I am not drinking the PB porter kool-aid but I grudgingly admit that I like this beer.
I don’t like the heavy carbonation and it should be far smoother.
Could go down better minus the hops. Way too much in that area.
Overall I don’t mind it. I doubt I will buy another.

Jul 14, 2019
crobinso from Colorado

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma of chocolate and peanut butter but much less peanut butter on the taste. a lot of what appear to be peanut butter floaties in the beer. like the roast level, wish the chocolate was a little sweeter as what is there tastes a bit burnt.

Apr 21, 2019
Amendm from Rhode Island

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12-oz. bottle needed a heavy pour for a 1/2 finger of light tan froth with medium retention and minimal spots of lace.
Dark chestnut brown with amber highlights, appears dark amber in front of light.
Peanut butter controls the smell with caramel malt and bakers chocolate.
Taste begins semi-sweet from malt and peanut butter, the middle is a little dryer with roasted malt (not bitter) and a faint astringent burnt chocolate twinge. The finish returns to semi-sweet and is quick and smooth. Faint hops and alcohol linger.
On the light side of medium bodied, below average carbonation. The peanut butter softens the feel and coats the palate.
Minus the burnt chocolate, the taste is evenly semi-sweet and low on the bitterness. Smooth easy drink.

Dec 27, 2018
Franziskaner from Missouri

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark brown in color with little light penetration. There's a fingernail of brown around the rim and covering half of the top. The aroma is of sweet and decadent peanut butter along with milk chocolate. I'm tasting a much less prevalent flavor of peanut butter than the nose would indicate. I'm also tasting milk chocolate and some dark malt in the mix. The mouth is lightly oily and silky smooth from the peanut butter.

Sep 18, 2018
CHickman from New York

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap, it pours pitch black color with a small tan head that faded slowly and left minimal spotty lacing.

Smells of chocolate, burnt peanuts, dark chocolate, smoked grains,
cocoa powder, roasted malts, brown sugar and lots of roasty notes.

Tastes has more of the peanut butter aspect with everything listed above plus burnt coffee grinds, light piney notes and burnt marshmallow.

Jun 16, 2018
connecticutpoet from Connecticut

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance – One finger head on a clear dark brown body.

Aroma – Dark malts and peanuts, no roasted character.

Taste – Roasted malt, light peanut butter, bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel – a bit thin but it coats the tongue nicely.

Overall – Good but you have to be aware of what it is before going into it or you will be surprised.

May 08, 2018
The_Kriek_Freak from Pennsylvania

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a very clean and very nicely balanced Porter with the peanut butter flavor being just about the right amount. Not too sweet and with a fairly mild bitterness, it's an easy beer to drink and even pair with dessert.

May 06, 2018
Irishman_Scott from Pennsylvania

Nice dark pour. Head remained pretty well and laced pretty decent. Slightly more carbonated than most, but hard pour it and let it settle a bit. Flavour is really nice, roasty with pretty good chocolate and peanut butter notes. Really a pretty good brew!

May 04, 2018
jdhilt from New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a three finger light brown head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights. Good carbonation and light-medium bodied. Peanut butter nose, flavor follows peanut butter, some dark chocolate. $2.35 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

Jan 17, 2018
ipeters1017 from Wisconsin

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap in Newton, MA. Poured a deep brown with a thin head. Smelled fairly sweet and nutty with notes of chocolate. Taste has a bit of a roasted malt presence, but is mostly chocolate and peanuts. It genuinely tasted like Cocoa Puffs to me. A bit too sweet for my tastes. Feel was thinner than expected, smooth, no dryness. Not bad but not my porter of choice.

Dec 17, 2017
MarkCole from Pennsylvania

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

I was hoping it was going to be purple color, but it is dark dish water color. It was a good tasting porter - the peanut butter is very subtle and not sweet. I had no idea what I might have gotten myself into, but overall a very good beer with a very weird name. I would buy and drink another one.

Dec 02, 2017
chinchill from South Carolina

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle groom and in PA.
Opaque essentially black body. Decent head.
Rich and well balanced blend of chocolate, peanut butter and roasted grains.
Medium -full body with medium -light carbonation.

Sep 23, 2017
OzmanBey from Massachusetts

2.65/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I have to say when I looked at the bottle I instantly got two messages in the brain, either this is going to be really good or really bad. The name sounded interesting except the dishwasher part sort of through me off but peanut butter and chocolate are two of my fav things so I decided to give it a try.
When I popped the bottle open and smelled it, it was an interesting smell of darkness but I couldn't make it if that was chocolate or not. My first sip was the most interesting sip because at first it didn't taste like anything just a weird mush flavor but as I continued to drink the Chocolate became more pronounced and the peanut butter came out ever so subtle on the under note. The more I drank it the more and more the flavors grew into an excellent combo. By the time I finished the bottle I absolutely loved it.
Truly a unique beer, am looking forward to trying others.

Sep 13, 2017
DrMullet from Florida

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep mahogany color.
Smell is chocolate and peanut butter as expected. Not too sweet.
Taste is a fairly even blend of chocolate and peanut butter, mildly sweet start and a faint bitter finish.

Aug 26, 2017
HoppingMadMonk from New Jersey

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Almost completely black,light carbonation,slightly thin feel. Peanut butter dominated aroma and stood out a bit too much in the flavor. An okay porter but one was enough

Jul 31, 2017
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

3.96/5  rDev +4.2%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass. The appearance was a nice looking dark brown close to black color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute leaving some light speckled lacing roaming around the glass. The smell started off with a delicate peanut butter weaving it’s way to a gentle dark chocolate and milk chocolate. It shows nice roasty and robust coffee tones to balance. The taste was mainly roasty through the combination of the peanut butter, dark and milk chocolate and bringing in the coffee in a nice bitter way. A somewhat roasty peanut butter to cocoa aftertaste leads to a dry roasty finish. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a fairly decent sessionability about it. The carbonation seemed good as an American Porter and gives off a nice creamy smooth way over my tongue. Overall, I say this was a nice American Porter with the peanut butter twist coming in to fit in nicely.

Jul 01, 2017