I'll Have What She's Having | Evil Genius Beer Company

3.94/5
Alströms:

Reviews by woodychandler:
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

What a weekend! I felt a cold coming on when I returned home on Friday and so I decided to ensconce myself at Chez Woody to watch hockey and reduce the backlog. This beer came home with me from The Fridge and is an intriguing addition to the weekend.

From the bottle: "Chocolate Hazelnut Imperial Stout". Whee!

Having Pop!ped the cap, I decided to again see what I might net with an aggro pour. Once more, I had to back off, but the net result was a finger-and-a-half of dense, rocky, deep-tan head with great retention. Color was likewise easy - Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) since there was precisely ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like hazelnut coffee. I am a huge fan of coffee, having retired as a U.S. Navy sailor over sixteen years ago, but flavored coffees do not do it for me, except blended with regular coffee. Just sayin'. Mouthfeel was thick, full, creamy, like a big dollop on my tongue! Jesus, this plus 9.4%. I may have to give up sooner than I had intended. The taste was like a Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar in that it was chocolaty, nutty and even with some notes of dried, dark fruits. Mmm. If I keep up like this, they are going to revoke my Hophead status! The lacing that was beginning to appear was going to require a jackhammer to remove. Finish was semi-sweet and the brewers should be applauded for keeping this in check. It could have been wildly over the top and totally undrinkable, but it was really good. That said, it was more of a one-and-done for me, probably better suited as a dessert beer.

3.42/5  rDev -13.2%

Evil Genius needs to figure out why almost all of their beers have a metallic after taste... Figure that out theyll have some solid brews.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: [4.50] Nice black pour with about 1/2 a finger of tan head. Looks a bit like a dessert in the glass. The bottle lists the ABV (9.4%) and the born on date (12/22/15). As an aside I will say that I really like the name. And I really like the Evil Genius logo - it is clever.

S: [4.25] Dark chocolate and vanilla (continuing the dessert theme).

T: [4.75] Wow I get a lot of the hazelnut and it was not on the nose. It is nutty and flavorful and takes the front seat on the flavor. After the hazelnut I am getting the nice vanilla notes. I get some bitter chocolate late.

M: [4.25] Smooth and creamy with no hint of the 9.4% alcohol. There is some mild bitterness on the end that is from hops or a bitter chocolate flavor. Overall really nice body.

O: [4.50] This is a great beer. The flavors are rich and robust. The hazelnut and vanilla flavors really shine through. It tastes fantastic and the body is smooth and nice to drink. This is my first Evil Genius beer but hopefully not my last!

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.98/5  rDev +1%

3.19/5  rDev -19%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours clear, dark brown in color with 1/4 in head. Taste is caramel, dark chocolate, and hazelnut. Medium bodied, sweet, with low carbonation. One of the better Evil Genius brews I have had. Makes for an excellent dessert beer.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A deep black draft pour with small white head at Capone's in Norriton, PA. Nutty chocolate aroma with a superb rich hazelnut and chocolate taste, this is a well balanced easy drinking brew. I didn't notice any metallic finish as others have noted, but perhaps the draft version is better than the bottle. I liked it enough to pick up a six pack.

3.52/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.31/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.06/5  rDev +3%

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a nonic pint glass and a mini snifter. The appearance in both was a dark brown color close to black color with a one finger tan foamy head in the nonic that dissipated and left a stringy spider web lacing sticking to the glass. In the snifter, the head dissipated quicker and left the same looking lacing. The smell had a roasty dry coffee bean meeting head to head against the sweet cocoa and allowing a nice hazelnut to enter in and balance as it warms. A light vanilla also starts to come out as it warms. The taste was roasty, sweet, and bitter taking the coffee bean and the hazelnut to blend nicely. A dry roasty coffee bean aftertaste leads to an extremely dry nutty finish. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a nice sipping quality about it. The vanilla comes back to lead a nice smooth and slightly creaminess to combine into a drying roastiness over my tongue. Overall, I dig this one as an Imperial Stout.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

3.84/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a deep brown, minimal off white foam. Smells strongly of hazelnut, hint of cocoa, vanilla. Tastes sweet malts forward, hints of hazelnut, cocoa, vanilla - sweet notes dominate. Mouthfeel is very thin for a stout - minimal effervescence and a bit cloying with its off balanced sweetness.
Overall, a very good desert beer - a bit of a novelty - I would have a lot of trouble drinking more than one - pleasant, I wish it had more stout qualities - the texture in particular seemed too thin.

4.56/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Black pour with a deep tan head most of which dissipated fairly quickly leaving about a millimeter of foam as I am drinking it.

S - Vanilla , cacao nibs & a touch of hazelnut on the nose. Quite pleasant but a bit sweet.

T - Strong hazelnut on the tongue but also has that chocolate & vanilla from the nose. A bit of biter dark chocolate at the end but no hoppy bitterness.

F - Such a smooth mouthfeel. Virtually no noticeable alcohol considering this is a 9.4% ABV beer. Creamy but a bit thin for an Imperial Stout. If this was a different style of beer I would rate it higher for mouthfeel.

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle shared by Isaac the other day, thanks man.

This one pours dark and deep, with a 1/4 mocha head, and only a small amount of lacing.

This one smells pretty good, tons and tons of hazelnut, they definitely did not skimp here. Chocolate and coffee are definitely noticeable on the nose as well.

This is essentially a nutella stout, with the big emphasis on hazelnut and chocolate. Both flavors taste real, and not artificial. I did worry they might taste a bit fake. However, my fears were not realized, and this was a rich, creamy sweet stout. There's some roasted malt here to remind you it's a stout, not chocolate milk.

This has a very creamy mouthfeel, with a lower level of carbonation. The drinkability is very nice.

This was definitely not on my radar, and I'm glad I got to try it.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

4.66/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%