I'll Have What She's Having | Evil Genius Beer Company

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

4.14/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.81/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +12.4%

What a weekend! I felt a cold coming on when I returned home on Friday and so I decided to ensconce myself at Chez Woody to watch hockey and reduce the backlog. This beer came home with me from The Fridge and is an intriguing addition to the weekend.

From the bottle: "Chocolate Hazelnut Imperial Stout". Whee!

Having Pop!ped the cap, I decided to again see what I might net with an aggro pour. Once more, I had to back off, but the net result was a finger-and-a-half of dense, rocky, deep-tan head with great retention. Color was likewise easy - Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) since there was precisely ZERO light penetration. Nose smelled like hazelnut coffee. I am a huge fan of coffee, having retired as a U.S. Navy sailor over sixteen years ago, but flavored coffees do not do it for me, except blended with regular coffee. Just sayin'. Mouthfeel was thick, full, creamy, like a big dollop on my tongue! Jesus, this plus 9.4%. I may have to give up sooner than I had intended. The taste was like a Cadbury Fruit & Nut bar in that it was chocolaty, nutty and even with some notes of dried, dark fruits. Mmm. If I keep up like this, they are going to revoke my Hophead status! The lacing that was beginning to appear was going to require a jackhammer to remove. Finish was semi-sweet and the brewers should be applauded for keeping this in check. It could have been wildly over the top and totally undrinkable, but it was really good. That said, it was more of a one-and-done for me, probably better suited as a dessert beer.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wonderful chocolate and hazelnut flavors with just enough bitterness to balance, smooth creamy mouthfeel, and zero alcohol noticeable. Just a terrific all around beer.

3.32/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle shared by Isaac the other day, thanks man.

This one pours dark and deep, with a 1/4 mocha head, and only a small amount of lacing.

This one smells pretty good, tons and tons of hazelnut, they definitely did not skimp here. Chocolate and coffee are definitely noticeable on the nose as well.

This is essentially a nutella stout, with the big emphasis on hazelnut and chocolate. Both flavors taste real, and not artificial. I did worry they might taste a bit fake. However, my fears were not realized, and this was a rich, creamy sweet stout. There's some roasted malt here to remind you it's a stout, not chocolate milk.

This has a very creamy mouthfeel, with a lower level of carbonation. The drinkability is very nice.

This was definitely not on my radar, and I'm glad I got to try it.

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.15/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours clear, dark brown in color with 1/4 in head. Taste is caramel, dark chocolate, and hazelnut. Medium bodied, sweet, with low carbonation. One of the better Evil Genius brews I have had. Makes for an excellent dessert beer.

4.06/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Deep dark not pitch with some ruby hues to the base. A inch plus of deep mocha head that takes a while to dissipate.
S - Aroma is real nice hazelnuts, coffee and cocoa nibs.
T - Good taste a nice balanced sweet chocolate, some coffee roasts, slight bitter herbal hop bite, and some nutty goodness.
M - A bit thin for the style pretty much my only complaint. Creamy smooth body though.

Overall its a good rather sweet take on a nutty imperial stout. I would get it again.

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

2.12/5  rDev -45.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Pours a dark brown color. The head is two fingers high and khaki in shade. Retention is quite good, and a consistent sheet of lacing sticks to the glass.

How 'bout them apples, the aroma is just like Nutella. Hey, I like Nutella, and this brings nice quotients of chocolate, hazelnuts, and more general nuts. But here's the thing - as soon as it opens up, it becomes almost ridiculously chemical-smelling. There is a touch of piny hoppiness to break things up (and perhaps, save it from being overtly sugary), but I can't get over the artificial qualities coming through. Normally, beers like this (see: DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus) smell great but taste chemical and meh. This doesn't even waste any time tricking those senses: the aroma screams "ARTIFICIAL".

Hrm, this is odd. This actually tastes a bit less chemical than the nose suggested. Still, beneath the healthy brown sugar, caramel, and dark chocolate sweetness that opens this up, there is an artificial twinge to this that I could do without. Did I say twinge? Did I say a bit less chemical? I lied. This is smacking me with notes of hairspray and potpourri on the finish. It's both too sweet and too lacking in natural qualities - ergo, I don't like it one bit.

This feels insanely sweet and coating - not in a good way, either. It just coats the tongue with an artificial (there's the word again), candy-like sweetness. Carbonation isn't very noticeable, thanks to how slimy it is.

I most certainly will NOT have what Sally is having, thank you very much. Next!

2.12/5: If nothing else, it makes DuClaw's chocolate peanut butter silliness look like Rochefort 10

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I'll Have What She's Having from Evil Genius Beer Company