Evil Eye PA | Evil Genius Beer Company

Added by RonfromJersey on 08-15-2012

1.2/5  rDev -63%

1.25/5  rDev -61.4%

1.29/5  rDev -60.2%

I wanted something I had never tried and I love IPAs so I bought a variety case. I tried an Evil Eye PA.
Appearance - Weak head, little or no carbonation, cloudy.

Smell - This was the best part of the beer. Citrusy - assumed it would be a good tasting, mildly fruity IPA - wrong

Taste - 1 second of ok, and straight to dry tongue and a bad after taste. My brain did not want to believe it... so I took another swig. Now I'm thinking $45 for this. Hope the others in the variety earn their keep.

Mouthfeel - Very thin. Instant dry tongue and absolutely not carbonation present.

Overall - Poor attempt. Too bad because the Brewery name and the name of the beer are so cool that this would have been a regular if it had tasted good. At 6% I hoped it would be a not-too-big beer to add into the rotation. After three or four sips I set it down and could not finish it.

1.6/5  rDev -50.6%

1.75/5  rDev -46%

1.75/5  rDev -46%

2.05/5  rDev -36.7%

Appearance is a golden hue with visible carbonation. Smell is very earthy. Taste is elf poop. Mouth is elf diaper.

2.15/5  rDev -33.6%

2.17/5  rDev -33%

Born on 11-06-2013. 12 oz bottle

Pours a dark, clear copper amber with a foamy off white head that has long lasting retention and thick sheets of lace. Generic nose of toasted malts, biscuit, straw. Flavor is more of an amber than IPA or APA, medium thick creamy body, sweet pale malt, dry earthy finish. Unpleasant long lasting fizzy bitterness. Forgettable.

2.19/5  rDev -32.4%

12oz bottle into pint glass

A - A Nice Orange amber, kind of hazy.
S -a bit grapefuity and overly sweet. There was also a hint of something that smelled bad.
T - Standard IPA flavors. pine, grapefruit etc.. but it wasn't as hoppy as I like.
M - Smooth, medium body and medium carbonation. Dry finish.

O - I was put off by the smell of the beer as I went to drink it. It smelled a bit like rotten vegetables. I couldnt quite put a finger on it. Strangely it didnt taste as it smelled. Mouthfeel was good and the finish was good. Imparted a nice light bitter finish.

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

First beer in years I could not finish on my first one. As a fan of IPAs the hopes were high for this but it didn't deliver on any criteria. Bought a draft on server recco in a Nonic glass. A: yellow orange with thin head. Not impressed. S: wet rotting vegetables with an orange or lemon peel on top. T: bitter splash on front of tongue that went to dry immediately. No malt balance. M: thin like a Coors Light. Water. O: not the worst beer I ever had but the worst IPA I had in years. Server didn't know anything and it was the only IPA on the menu so I had to go this way. I was off put buy the draft serve as the smell hit me immediately so it probably made my taste buds run in fear. Pass

2.3/5  rDev -29%

Ouch. This is bad. Very bad. Hairspray galore with a lingering burn. Ouch, indeed. Any hop character is blown out by this off the wall flavor profile. Carbonation is way too full. Nasty stuff. First sip was okay. Everything after has been a complete disaster. Drain pour!

This brewery can't be open for much longer if they keep putting out crap like this.

2.38/5  rDev -26.5%

Shiny copper body, excellent clarity, visible carbonation streams, topped by a thick finger of level bubbly snow white foam.

Pleasing inviting citrus -grapefruit, orange.

Brief flash of caramel sweetness is immediately overpowered by an astringent mix of bitter and cleaning solvent. Which lingers. For quite a while.

Looks great, smells good, but is quite unpleasant to taste. Back to the lab.

Evil Eye PA from Evil Genius Beer Company