Trick Or Treat | Evil Genius Beer Company

evilgeniusbeer.com

Style: American Porter

Added by Darkmagus82 on 09-03-2012

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I went into this not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Solid porter with subtle hints of pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, an clove) without being overpowering.

I could see myself enjoying this again.

4.62/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Solid deep brown that's almost black with a hint of red to it.

Smell: A mix of pumpkin and chocolate.

Taste: A kick of chocolate and this is an excellent taste I must say!

Feeling: A smooth drink that you can enjoy a couple of!

Overall: A must try!

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.45/5  rDev +25%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Evil Genius Beer Company - Trick, or Treat chocolate pumpkin porter, brewed with cocoa, pumpkin and spices.
7.8% ABV., 35 IBU's
Smell: Sweet milk chocolate, cocoa, bitter roastyness.
Taste: Sweet milk chocolate, bitter roasted spicey aftertaste
Feel: It has a medium body with good substance to it.
Look: pitch black, 2inch tan head
Overall: As I like purple monkey dishwater I like this beer. It has sweet chocolate all throughout the sips and has lovely roasty bitter notes to it as well. The pumpkin really doesn't stand out. I have had other beers by these guys where that wast the case. They go for a certain flavor comination and one of the combinations doesn't stand out. I didn't taste any pumpkin for whatever reason. It would be nice if I could taste it because I love pumpkin, but it still holds water as a good chocolate porter for me. I didn't notice that it was 7.8% ABV because it was not listed on the bottle. After I found out I was pretty surprised because you don't taste the alcohol at all. Very smooth, Enjoy!

4.28/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

3.29/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Evil Genius Beer Company "Trick Or Treat"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BORN ON 2016/07/14" and sampled on 2016/09/20
$2 @ Acme, Glen Mills, PA

While I'm quite glad that the guys from Evil Genius decided against making a Yuengling Traditional Lager knock-off (which was their first plan) and instead focused on unusual beers, I wasn't so sure that they hadn't gone over the edge with this one. Chocolate Pumpkin Porter? At first sip, however, I was reassured, it works.

It's a clear dark mahogany in color beneath a creamy head of tan that rises up full as you pour it, and then settles into a more compact inch or so, and eventually a compact 1/8" surface covering. The lacing is pretty good as well.

The aroma doesn't give much up in terms of spice as the cocoa dominates, but there's a little bit of cinnamon there.

The flavor is heavy on cocoa as well, which is a welcome change from most "pumpkin beers" where the spice dominates, or even porters that tend to be fairly basic. It's a little bit unusual to get that cocoa so heavy upfront but you get used to it by the third or fourth sip. The dark malts have a nice roasty, and almost smoky, edge that works well with the idea of a pumpkin beer, reminding me of cool night where the aromas of fallen leaves have been amplified by the misty rain earlier in the day, and wood smoke gently wafts from neighbor's chimneys. A touch of nuttiness rounds it out rather than the caramel component you might be expecting, which is also interesting. There is one bit of an odd taste that I can't pinpoint, but which might be coming from the pumpkin, although that's a little odd because usually they usually only add fermentables, and very little flavor. The balance is nice, coming on quite sweet at first, but drying by the time you get to the finish, where the spices become apparent. Again, a lot of pumpkin beers can be over-spiced, especially with cinnamon, but that's not the case here, it's restrained. I'm not even sure what I'm really tasting but I think I'm finding cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and all-spice.

In the end it's quite nicely done. I could easily have another one of these and enjoy it just as much as the first; and it never builds on the palate. Does it hit a home run? No, but at least it gets on base. A solid single, maybe a double, and possibly even a triple. Certainly worth trying because it's so different.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.37/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

great aroma with chocolate, coffee, peanut butter, cinnamon and clove....no pumpkin. The taste is very similar with lots of chocolate and coffee. It feels a little thin for the abv. Overall its a solid chocolate almost spiced porter but I literally get no pumpkin. If this was advertised as a chocolate porter id rate it a lot better but I was looking for pumpkin and this did not deliver.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Pretty darn dark for a porter. Beige head, but a light black body akin to coffee grounds.

Smell: HUGE pumpkin spices, allspice, and nutmeg dominate the nose. Just a touch of cinnamon. Definitely more pumpkin spice than actual pumpkin, which I can't complain with, honestly.

Taste: More subtle than I was expecting. The spices give way to a taste dominated by sweet chocolate malts, with the spices mostly being present in the aroma.

Feel: Fairly oily for a porter, which I like, but still light in body overall. Can't be helped with the ABV though, so I can't fault it. It does very well with the ABV it has.

Overall: A decent pumpkin brew, from someone who absolutely LOVES anything pumpkin flavored. I just wish that the pumpkin spices came through more in the taste, rather than just the aroma.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.52/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.71/5  rDev +32.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

1.73/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

2.67/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm not a big pumpkin beer lover but I got this at my local distributor in the bargain bin and couldn't pass up the amazing deall!
Look - Deep brown in color.
Smell - slight chocolate, malty, spices, heavy on the cloves.
Taste - slightly bland, I was expecting more robust for a Porter, not much chocolate and a bit more spices than I expected, no pumpkin at all, just the spices that you'd fink in a pumpkin pie.
Feel - A little on the thin side with slightly medium carbonation.
Overall - an average beer; a bit lacking on the chocolate side. No real pumpkin flavor as advertised though. More spices than I expected. Flavors come through at the beginning but disappear on the back side.
Not what I was expecting from a chocolate porter, I was hoping for more of a thick,robust flavor.
An average Fall pumpkin porter. I'm glad I paid less than half the original price.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Libbey nonic pint glass.

Look - Deep brown in color. Light brown head. Starts out finger thick, settles quickly into a pool of lacing on top of the beer. Little to no lacing on the sides of the glass.
Smell - Chocolate, roasted grain. Hint of coffee. No pumpkin.
Taste - Sweet and dark chocolate. No pumpkin. Little bit of bitterness in the finish.
Feel - A little on the thin side with slightly medium carbonation.
Overall - Good beer; how can you not like a chocolate porter. I missed out on the pumpkin, though. It was no where near prominent in the flavor.

Trick Or Treat from Evil Genius Beer Company