Trick Or Treat | Evil Genius Beer Company

Added by Darkmagus82 on 09-03-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 38 | Ratings: 209
3.67/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I went into this not knowing what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Solid porter with subtle hints of pumpkin spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, an clove) without being overpowering.

I could see myself enjoying this again.

4.62/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Solid deep brown that's almost black with a hint of red to it.

Smell: A mix of pumpkin and chocolate.

Taste: A kick of chocolate and this is an excellent taste I must say!

Feeling: A smooth drink that you can enjoy a couple of!

Overall: A must try!

4.45/5  rDev +25%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Evil Genius Beer Company - Trick, or Treat chocolate pumpkin porter, brewed with cocoa, pumpkin and spices.
7.8% ABV., 35 IBU's
Smell: Sweet milk chocolate, cocoa, bitter roastyness.
Taste: Sweet milk chocolate, bitter roasted spicey aftertaste
Feel: It has a medium body with good substance to it.
Look: pitch black, 2inch tan head
Overall: As I like purple monkey dishwater I like this beer. It has sweet chocolate all throughout the sips and has lovely roasty bitter notes to it as well. The pumpkin really doesn't stand out. I have had other beers by these guys where that wast the case. They go for a certain flavor comination and one of the combinations doesn't stand out. I didn't taste any pumpkin for whatever reason. It would be nice if I could taste it because I love pumpkin, but it still holds water as a good chocolate porter for me. I didn't notice that it was 7.8% ABV because it was not listed on the bottle. After I found out I was pretty surprised because you don't taste the alcohol at all. Very smooth, Enjoy!

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Evil Genius Beer Company "Trick Or Treat"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BORN ON 2016/07/14" and sampled on 2016/09/20
$2 @ Acme, Glen Mills, PA

While I'm quite glad that the guys from Evil Genius decided against making a Yuengling Traditional Lager knock-off (which was their first plan) and instead focused on unusual beers, I wasn't so sure that they hadn't gone over the edge with this one. Chocolate Pumpkin Porter? At first sip, however, I was reassured, it works.

It's a clear dark mahogany in color beneath a creamy head of tan that rises up full as you pour it, and then settles into a more compact inch or so, and eventually a compact 1/8" surface covering. The lacing is pretty good as well.

The aroma doesn't give much up in terms of spice as the cocoa dominates, but there's a little bit of cinnamon there.

The flavor is heavy on cocoa as well, which is a welcome change from most "pumpkin beers" where the spice dominates, or even porters that tend to be fairly basic. It's a little bit unusual to get that cocoa so heavy upfront but you get used to it by the third or fourth sip. The dark malts have a nice roasty, and almost smoky, edge that works well with the idea of a pumpkin beer, reminding me of cool night where the aromas of fallen leaves have been amplified by the misty rain earlier in the day, and wood smoke gently wafts from neighbor's chimneys. A touch of nuttiness rounds it out rather than the caramel component you might be expecting, which is also interesting. There is one bit of an odd taste that I can't pinpoint, but which might be coming from the pumpkin, although that's a little odd because usually they usually only add fermentables, and very little flavor. The balance is nice, coming on quite sweet at first, but drying by the time you get to the finish, where the spices become apparent. Again, a lot of pumpkin beers can be over-spiced, especially with cinnamon, but that's not the case here, it's restrained. I'm not even sure what I'm really tasting but I think I'm finding cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and all-spice.

In the end it's quite nicely done. I could easily have another one of these and enjoy it just as much as the first; and it never builds on the palate. Does it hit a home run? No, but at least it gets on base. A solid single, maybe a double, and possibly even a triple. Certainly worth trying because it's so different.

3.37/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

great aroma with chocolate, coffee, peanut butter, cinnamon and clove....no pumpkin. The taste is very similar with lots of chocolate and coffee. It feels a little thin for the abv. Overall its a solid chocolate almost spiced porter but I literally get no pumpkin. If this was advertised as a chocolate porter id rate it a lot better but I was looking for pumpkin and this did not deliver.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Pretty darn dark for a porter. Beige head, but a light black body akin to coffee grounds.

Smell: HUGE pumpkin spices, allspice, and nutmeg dominate the nose. Just a touch of cinnamon. Definitely more pumpkin spice than actual pumpkin, which I can't complain with, honestly.

Taste: More subtle than I was expecting. The spices give way to a taste dominated by sweet chocolate malts, with the spices mostly being present in the aroma.

Feel: Fairly oily for a porter, which I like, but still light in body overall. Can't be helped with the ABV though, so I can't fault it. It does very well with the ABV it has.

Overall: A decent pumpkin brew, from someone who absolutely LOVES anything pumpkin flavored. I just wish that the pumpkin spices came through more in the taste, rather than just the aroma.

2.67/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm not a big pumpkin beer lover but I got this at my local distributor in the bargain bin and couldn't pass up the amazing deall!
Look - Deep brown in color.
Smell - slight chocolate, malty, spices, heavy on the cloves.
Taste - slightly bland, I was expecting more robust for a Porter, not much chocolate and a bit more spices than I expected, no pumpkin at all, just the spices that you'd fink in a pumpkin pie.
Feel - A little on the thin side with slightly medium carbonation.
Overall - an average beer; a bit lacking on the chocolate side. No real pumpkin flavor as advertised though. More spices than I expected. Flavors come through at the beginning but disappear on the back side.
Not what I was expecting from a chocolate porter, I was hoping for more of a thick,robust flavor.
An average Fall pumpkin porter. I'm glad I paid less than half the original price.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Libbey nonic pint glass.

Look - Deep brown in color. Light brown head. Starts out finger thick, settles quickly into a pool of lacing on top of the beer. Little to no lacing on the sides of the glass.
Smell - Chocolate, roasted grain. Hint of coffee. No pumpkin.
Taste - Sweet and dark chocolate. No pumpkin. Little bit of bitterness in the finish.
Feel - A little on the thin side with slightly medium carbonation.
Overall - Good beer; how can you not like a chocolate porter. I missed out on the pumpkin, though. It was no where near prominent in the flavor.

4.55/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is the best I've had so far from Evil Genius, easier to drink than Purple Monkey Dishwasher or I'll Have What She's Having, but full of flavor. Smells like a chocolate milk shake. Hits your palate as a sweet chocolate bar, similar to the BUN cluster maple bar but with pumpkin filling. Very smooth and sessionable, I'm on my second bottle already.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, dark brown, with 1/4 inch head. Taste is sweet milk chocolate, roasted malt, cinnamon, clove, and light peanut as the beer warms. The beer has more of a porter taste than pumpkin or peanut. Interesting beer, but I would have liked to see the other flavors more pronounced.

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

OK so in general I really don't like pumpkin beers, so take this review FWIW.

Undated bottle (acquired in a swap) into pint glass. Quite dark (darker than, say, Coca-Cola) with a thin, off-white head that reduces itself to a skim quickly. Initial impression is, um, underwhelming. Not much pumpkin, a little cocoa malt, no hops, not much else. OK, maybe the cocoa comes to the forefront as it warms, but it's certainly not the most flavorful beer I've ever had. Light mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Finish is in keeping with the rest of the experience - meh.

4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

DATE TASTED: October 2, 2015 ... GLASSWARE: Hop Devil nonick... OCCASION: warming up a cold, windy night with something tough enough... APPEARANCE: dark ruby/black body that supports a grey, thin head that settles to a quarter-inch creaminess; ... AROMA: pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla, slightly toasted dough, oak, and strong, powdery cocoa builds a promise that demands continued inhalation... PALATE: fizzy at the throat, medium-bodied throughout, and slick at the lips... warming and lingering in its aftertaste--the creaminess encourages repeated sips ... TASTE: the cocoa overpowers the pumpkin--not a bad thing--and the vanilla rounds off the profile pleasantly... a nice, earthy spice mills through the sip; some toasted oats make this somewhat balanced... OVERALL: despite other less impressive Evil Genius Halloween offerings, this one hits with a smoothness and drinkability that would have me seeking out a six for sure... the ABV ensures sessionability...I will make this a part of my Halloween celebration in a few weeks ...

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

The taste is not well developed in this beer. The smell suggests flavors that just do not come through. It does not have the flavor profile of a pumpkin porter, but there is a bit of cocoa flavor. It is a decent beer, but just not as described. Expect to have a dark, not particularly robust (kind of watery) porter with a light touch of spice. It may be different from a tap or allowed to warm towards room temperature.

2.83/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Brown and clear with a very small amount of head and no visible lacing.

Smell is dominated by chocolate and sweet malt.

Taste is a mix of bitterness, malt, unknown spice, and a metallic finish.

Mouthful is thin and light with medium-low carbonation. Finish lingers.

This sounded like a great beer but was a big disappointment. The strongest points were the look and smell. The taste was bad - no discernable chocolate or pumpkin and a lasting metallic taste. Pass this one by.

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%

I took a big chance and bought a 6pk. The monkey dishwasher has too much going on but the Trick or Treat is just right. A good porter with a fairly strong flavor of chocolate with a mild pumpkin and pumpkin spice flavor. I'll probably end up with another 6 ok before the season is iver

4.27/5  rDev +19.9%

Light bodied with low carbonation.
Pleasant earthy and woodsy smell. Tastes of chocolate toasty malts and spices with a hint of roasted coffee.low hop profile. No straight forward pumpkin flavor but the pumpkin aspect suggested by the spices

2.62/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Pours a blackish color with a white lace. Decent clarity for a brew of pumpkin, spices, and roasted malt base. Aroma of gourd enveloped with a thin wisp of roasted malts. Mainly smells like vegetables, eh. Solid two months before Halloween, but Trick or Treat!! No discernible bottle date, it seems smudged on purpose hopefully not 2 years old or something. Pumpkin is always best fresh in beer.

The taste is sour pumpkin, roasted malts and a bit of cocoa in the finish. Kind of watery. Body is good, its solidly made beer, but the vegetable sour thing that happened with the pumpkin is unfortunate and just didn't work with the roasted base. Left me wanting more as a pumpkin chocolate stout, as good as that may sound. Very confused muddled beer, but I like what these guys are doing in some of the others I've had the opportunity to try. It would be better without any pumpkin in it, but still seems lacking. I like a lot of these products but not this one. Its more of a trick than a treat.

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Definitely one of the better pumpkin porters I have had ever. Was very vegetal and spicy at first but after it warmed up the flavors mended quite well. Worth picking up to try .

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this early in the pumpkin season. The aroma and taste of chocolate was a bit overpowering. Even so it was a nice beer with little spice characteristics from the pumpkin. This beer would be excellent if given a bit of time to allow the chocolate to fade a bit into the background.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A-Black in the glass, clear dark brown when pouring, one finger white head that doesn't last.

S-Mild pumpkin, some spice and a little bit of chocolate.

T-Starts with pumpkin and spice. Chocolate then not much else. Maybe some roasted malt.

M-Tad light and watery.

O-I love pumpkin beers.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

The backlog here at Chez Woody continues to dwindle and I keep finding things that I had purchased and set aside, like this one, courtesy of The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop.

From the bottle: "Chocolate Pumpkin Porter"; "Ale brewed with Cocoa, Pumpkin, and Spices".

I Pop!ped the cap and began an aggro pour which resulted in just under two fingers of dense, light-tan head with decent retention. Color was Dark Brown to Very Dark Brown with NE-quality clarity and mahogany highlights. Nose was an odd melange of chocolate and spices, kind of what I imagine Mexican Hot Chocolate to be like. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as pronounced as it was on the nose. It had a sort of cocoa powder taste and the spices were really muted. Turned down for what? Finish was semi-sweet with the spices drying it out to some extent, but chocolate was really the first order of business. This could be a year-'round release at that rate and should have the spices amped up in order to really be a Pumpkin Beer.

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

Silky porter with light, popping carbonation. Subtle hints of chocolate with light bitterness

Aroma is full of hot cocoa and smells nicely sweet.

Pitch black, almost no head, light lacing

Poured from a bottle into pint glass in December 2014.

Appearance: Dark, but not black, with a thick tan head.

Smell: Pleasant, with both a sweet and spicy aroma. I can smell the pumpkin and chocolate influences, with a little pepper.

Taste: Interesting balance. I can definitely taste the pumpkin and chocolate influences, which makes for a unique taste. I like the balance between the pumpkin, hops, and malty sweetness, and the pumpkin flavor is not too strong. The chocolate flavors are the strongest, but can taste the variety of other flavors.

This is an interesting seasonal beer. I would buy this again.

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

First beer from Evil Genius I have spotted around Western, MA. I met the founders of the brewery at Pliny the Younger day several years ago. They had huge ambitions for starting the company which was in it's infancy at the time. Glad to have an opportunity to try the product.

A- The tall 12oz bottle pours into a goblet with a black body that has some very dark brown around the edges. A tan head forms at one finger with a thick, frothy texture and good retention. Lacing starts out with large webs and drizzle falls below that.

S- Deep, luscious chocolate and roast grains lead the way for a medium strength pumpkin spice mix of nutmeg, cinnamon and clove; roughly in that order for me here. Nutmeg seems to push more with warming.

T- Each sip seems to start with a burst of milk chocolate and cocoa powder followed up by a spicy character of nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon. Malts drop roasted grain, caramel and a vanilla sweetness that could come from caramelized sugars. Pumpkin is somewhat of an afterthought but it does sneak in at the end.

MF- Overall it comes in with a medium body, perhaps just a bit towards the thick side with a semi-chewy creaminess and slight foaminess. Carbonation is at a medium-high level and it seems to accentuate the spices on the flavor. Slightly spicy bitterness.

Chocolate forward porter with a fairly strong spiciness of allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg and some clove with a hint of pumpkin at the end and something that reminds me of vanilla bean. All in all it balances out pretty nicely and I get no oxidation or metallic notes that people seem to be offended by in reviews from 2012/2013. Solid.

4.28/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This porter was amazing. I had never had it and as the server rattled off the ususal draft beers I stopped him when he said chocolate/pumpkin porter. The beer looked like I expected but thesmells it gave off were enticing. A hint of chocolate with notes of spice. When I tasted it I was amazed. It was full but not nearly as heavy and thick as I expected. The first note was of a chocolate stout or porter but not too sweet to overpower that distinct taste of beer. As I swallowed and the beer hit the rest of my taste buds I got the notes of pumpkin and spice which complimented the chocolate perfectly. I was also a big fan of the fact that it was hearty but not overly filling.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast