Pure Evil | Evil Genius Beer Company

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Evil genius choc stout. Served on tap at the Morris Tap and Grill 10/12

Pours a Jet black with clingy layer of foam. Rings and sticks Rich roasted nose coffee like dark chocolate and espresso beans. Beautiful . Smooth creamy rich taste. Creamy. Very well balanced bitter. Quite tasty. 4 45 4 375 4

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Snifter. Part of a Mixed 6-pack of Evil Genius beers.

Pours pitch black with a finger of off-white foam. Aroma smells like dark chocolate syrup and a hint of bitter roast malt.

First sip is very roasty, with a tannic bitter middle, but finishing extremely smooth and velvety with no lingering bitterness. This has a nice smooth drinkable flavor. I wish the cocoa syrup flavor came through a bit more, and maybe it was a touch sweeter, but overall this is pretty solid.

3.99/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This has been in my cellar for a while now, originally a gift from my neighbor. Served in a Duvel tulip at cellar temp.

Look: Black with a light khaki head, nice lacing

Smell: Rich chocolate atop of malt; Malt-o-Meal

Taste: thinnish, dry roast with some chocolate

Feel: Silky, full bodied

Overall: decent

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I poured this beer at a warm room temperature as I got sidetracked and forgot to place it in the fridge, but I am happy that I did as WOW it is giving off some fine aromas! It poured thick and black with a huge frothy brown head (from the warm temperature) that settled to a one finger cap of creamy goodness and a sticky wall of lacing on the pint glass.

Aromas- Chocolate malt, roasted coffee, vanilla, and maybe what can be described as oatmeal (I dunno, it really does smell like it) and not much in the way of hops.

Tastes like chocoalte malts, roasted malts both sweet and slightly bitter intermingle with a mild sourness, light milky vanilla and very mild piney hops which finish her off.

The body is a little lighter than I would have thought but still fairly full and smooth with an even mix of sweet and sour. Definitely different than I am used to! Intriguing and excellent! There is also a tad bit more carbonation that I would have figured but it works well with the mild sour. There is a little of a slippery feeling on my tongue and a peppery finish. Alcohol is a little apparent and it is slightly dry between sips.

Overall I really like this beer! It's not like any that I have had before and may not be exactly an oatmeal stout in the way that it's pretty hot with carbonation, thinner than most and slightly sour. Personally I give it a solid 4.25 out of 5. I'm not sure that it reflects the style totally for the above reasons but it's damn good! Style wise, 4.0 out of 5. I would recommend this for sure. It's not a crossover beer from the big boy lagers, but excellent!

3.9/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of coffee, some roasted malts. Taste is the same, big on coffee, some roasted malts, really not getting any oats. Feels creamy in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%

3.76/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had it on tap at Southside Grille in South Bound Brook, NJ.

Appearance - very dark and opaque, almost black. head not as creamy as I like on a stout.

Smell - roasted malts, and slightly sweet.

Taste - initial sip picked up roasted coffee notes, and then the sweeter chocolate notes kicked in. Not powerful flavor.

Mouthfeel - good , but I like my stouts creamier.

Overall - many better stouts, but this is definitely drinkable, and I would have more than one in a stout sitting.

Pure Evil from Evil Genius Beer Company