Elusive Trout Stout | Wildwood Brewing Co.

4.11/5
Exceptional

Wildwood Brewing Co.
Alberta, Canada

Style: Milk / Sweet Stout

Added by IronDjinn on 08-03-2003

Reviews by IronDjinn:
4.48/5  rDev +9%

This is the type of stout that I'm aiming to eventually be able to brew myself. Pitch black in hue, thick creamy off-white head which also leaves an immense amount of lacing. Rich roasted malt aroma, a hint of lactose as well. Fantastic creamy roasted malt flavour accompanied by coffee and chocolate highlights. Velvety smooth mouthfeel, this is overwhelmingly drinkable. Makes a perfect session brew. Highly recommended.

3.41/5  rDev -17%

Better than average brew, and a decent stout at that. A step or two away from a bottable stout. Bittersweet bitter, lots of coffee. Also coffee ground. Not that sweet, but something in there. Grainy full-mouth feeling. Very drinkable. Highest ranked of that on tap.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

After reading the previous reviews, I have been waiting to try this, and was not disappointed. Black color, with brown foam head that left nice lacing for the whole pint. Coffee and chocolate, and nutty aroma. Full flavor, yet very smooth, no after taste. Give me this over guinness any day.

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%

I could only try a limited amount of beers on-tap my first time at Wildwood Restaurant/BrewPub, so it was fortunate that they bottle and sell their beers to take home. This one was one I did not try on tap(yet!) but I certainly will be soon. Wildwood uses the EZ Cup flange-top bottles: this one is 500 ml.

Ebony coloured, also dark brown. The head was not large, but then when I popped the bottle there was little if no carbonation. The head is only a small ring on the glass, light-brown, almost reddish. Still a decent enough appearance, and much better looking on tap(though I did not try a glass at Wildwood I seen it poured and served to other patrons.) The aroma is better than most, because I can detect a definite cinnamon note, along with some spices I cannot identify. I smell cream, milk, crisp toasted malt, mocha, raisins, caramel, underlying alcohol. Balanced stout aroma. The taste is velvety, bready and a little watery. I taste charcoal, toasted bread, strong coffee, mollasses, syrup. The finish is typically dry with strong graininess. Carbonation is very low as I mentioned, from the bottle at least. Very easy to drink. I look forward to trying it on-tap very soon.

Elusive Trout Stout from Wildwood Brewing Co.