Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Muzzle Flash | Brass Cannon Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Brass Cannon Brewing
Virginia, United States | website

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by clayrock81 on 05-27-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 10
Reviews by Zraly:
1.97/5  rDev -30.4%

Had on tap at an outdoor concert. I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. Of course the folks pouring at this event were not beer experts so when I asked about it, they said it was a dark beer but that it was made in VA. So why not?

Appearance looked ok -- it struck me as a dubble-style ale upon appearance and smell, which I thought a bit odd to pour at a concert in the stinking heat. But such is the way. A bit of spice and malt up front. And to my astonishment upon looking here and at the BCM website, good lord!, it is suppose to be an American Amber.

The flavor was a mess and really quite foul. Muddy, funky, off flavors; tasted like dead yeast. A weird talc flavor. I couldn't figure out what the beer was suppose to be as the yeast flavor overpowered both malts and hops, which made it really hard to judge it in terms of style. Very unpleasant bitter finish. I can usually tolerate less-than-perfect beers, but I ended up dumping half of the beer. Medium-bodied and a bit too heavy on the funk for something that should be close to sessionable (given that this is suppose to be an amber): unbalanced. Tastes like a really off-batch of homebrew made from stale malt extract on expired yeast.

My hope and suspicion is there was something askew with the keg and/or storage. And so I do feel a little guilty writing this review. But going with the chance that my suspicions are wrong, this beer is pretty bad.

3.31/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.25/5  rDev -20.5%

3.27/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%

3.5/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Has on tap at the Taphouse in Hampton. Poured a rather muddy reddish hue with some sharp carbonation to give a good head and then it died real quick. A bitter, herbal hop presence in the nose and minimal sweet malts to speak of. Beer is smooth, light to medium bodied, but just not all the way there. The sweet malts are barely present and the hops take over, but it is more of a earthy, dirty hop presence and my only complaint, to put it bluntly, is this somewhat acidic or medicinal aftertaste I get after each sip when I'm about halfway through my draft. Can't put my finger on it and it is something I'm not accustomed to. Worth trying a new brewer in the area and I don't hate this beer but overall just an alright brew.

3.75/5  rDev +32.5%

Muzzle Flash from Brass Cannon Brewing
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.