Red Headed Step Child Irish Style Red Ale | Tall Tales Brewing Company

Red Headed Step Child Irish Style Red AleRed Headed Step Child Irish Style Red Ale
3.39/5
Okay

Tall Tales Brewing Company
Maryland, United States
talltalesbrew.com

Style: Irish Red Ale

A dark red Irish red with roasty overtones and a subtle, apple, fruity finish.

Added by MrBoh on 06-11-2013

Reviews by MrBoh:
3.32/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I had tried this beer a couple times before. It was pretty good then, I remembered a little bitterness. So, I tried it again at the brewery. I kepy getting a flavor that just reminded me of grain extract. It didn't really taste like an Irish Red, so much as a poorly crafted brown ale. As I said though, I had better experience before, so I am open to giving it another shot.

1.89/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Undated bottle into pint glass. Out-of-control carbonation, starting with cap removal. Poured half the bottle, then had to wait 10 minutes for the head to subside enough to pour another quarter. Meanwhile, thick, light-orange foam is extruding from the mouth of the half-empty bottle. Not good. Not good at all.
Appearance is murky brown - kind of like coca cola that was used for an ash tray. Taste is on a par with appearance. Sour citrus, musty, spoiled fruit. Alcohol, at 6.2%, is more evident than some with three times the ABV.
Altogether a thoroughly unpleasant experience. Closest I've ever come to a drain pour, and I've had some pretty bad beers. This is my third beer from this brewery, and they have all been awful.

3.29/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.93/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not a huge fan of the style, but this one is very good. Taste is roasted malt, caramel, and toffee. This one has layers of flavor that I do not typically associate with the style. If I want an Irish Red Ale, this would be a go to beer.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Beautiful, a dark ruby red with little to no foam head

Smell: Smelled dark and woodsy, very rich and almost cherry in smell. Smelled like it looked, dark and luxurious.

Taste: I'm not a huge fan of Red Ales that don't taste like Red Ales...like someone else said, it tasted much more like a poorly brewed Brown Ale. Too syrupy sweet for my taste with lack of dominant hops.

Mouthfeel: Little to no carbonation, went down smooth, didn't pair well with meats like I thought it would or as it was recommended to me. However, I can see this good as an after dinner beer in the colder months.

Overall: Decent, not great and certainly not my personal preference. I can see why others like it and recommend it but it was not my favorite.

1.5/5  rDev -55.8%

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tall Tales Brewing Co. "Red Headed Step Child"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "3 1 2017" and sampled on 31 July 2017
$2 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Look: Deep reddish-brown body with orange highlights at the base of the glass beneath a two-finger thick head of rocky tan that slowly settles. Some spots and broken streaks of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Yeasty fruitiness like apples and berries over a caramelish and brown-sugar-like malt base. Some soft spiciness as well... it's almost like cinnamon.

Taste: The malt offers light brown sugar, a hint of toastiness, and just a slight edge or roasted character to it. The fruitiness found in the nose remains, and expands. There's a little bit of tartness to it that's reminiscent of lemon, but it's also fairly sweet as there's hardly any bitterness to it. With that said, it remains balanced as it finishes sweetish but quickly drying in a swirl of apple, cherry, and lemon. There's also a light touch of leafy hops. If it is, indeed, 6.2% ABV as listed on the label that little extra bit never shows.

Feel: Light-medium in body and delicately crisp with a standard carbonation.

Overall: Certainly interesting, but far from compelling. It's certainly unlike an Irish-style red ale I've ever had, although it's in that vein but just too fruity, and with an unusual tartness.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.58/5  rDev -23.9%

Hard toget over the small, musty, funky and smells bad. Look is a little deeper than other red ales I have had. Taste is not the best, funky, bad and overly sweet malt. A good try but not what I am used to in a red ale. Old bottle ???????????

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

3.62/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of malts. Taste is caramel malts, considerable sweetness, a light hop presence, very refreshing. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall a good beer I could easily consume several of.

3.22/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.52/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

2.23/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I'd there supposed to be coriander in an Irish red? Once I power through the odd tart, that's what I get. It's like a thicker, slightly sour, muted Shock Top. This isn't good.

3.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours out into Duvel glass a lightly hazed brownish color without much redness so it looks like a deep mahogany color. The 1/2" head is ivory and color and soon recedes to a thin cover with an irregular island of foam. As ti recedes there is a ring of foam on the sides of the glass with a bit of lacing to it here and there. Sipping cleans the side of the glass but leaves lots and lots of tiny patches and slender legs of lacing. By midway through the beer the island is much smaller, much thinner and surrounded by lots of liquid. There is still a ring of foam and lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

The aromas have a fruity and floral like character along with some malt in the background.

The flavors include a hint of fruitiness and a bit of toasty sweetness from the malt. For me the fruitiness comes across as either being mild cherries of a red apple.

The mouthfeel is on the light side of medium bodied and only lightly prickly with faint but persistent carbonation. The finish begins about mid-way through as the light sweetness starts to fade and the fruity character becomes more upfront before slowly receding. While it doesn't quite end dry and some fruitiness remains to the end I don't find it unpleasant, but it doesn't really invite another sip. There is no hop bitterness showing here.

This is pretty much just an OK beer for me. While I wouldn't go out of my way to have a second one it is something that should be just fine when sitting around a table with friends chatting, etc. Nothing really challenging here to serve as a distraction for a social event. However, there are others I'd choose over this one.

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%

Very dark almost like a stout but a hint of red/purple in there. 1 finger head. Smell is a little scary. Like sour cherries? What's going on here. Weird taste, some roast and some artificial fruit flavor in there. Not sure what this is. I really didn't care much for this beer. Just not well made.

4.94/5  rDev +45.7%

I have always loved Irish Reds since I was old enough to appreciate good beer. I was introduced to Killians and drank that for a very long time. When I had Red Head for the first time I was shocked at how good it was. The color is dark but the body isn't heavy. You can pick up a rich toasty flavor of coffee. It finishes slightly sweet and clean.

3.96/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Dark ruby color with a decent tan head. Pretty dark indeed.
Smell - Sweet and malty
Taste - Sweet caramel and very light roastiness with a hint of apple and slight alcohol warmth, overall very nice even though I'm normally not partial to reds. This one has a lot of flavor!

4.4/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%