Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Oktoberfest Beer | Susquehanna Brewing Company

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by undeadozzy on 09-08-2012

1.12/5  rDev -66.4%

Clearly I haven't learned my lesson with this brewery but this time I did ask for a sample instead of paying for a whole pint I took a fist sip and was thrown back by a intense alcohol burn from this beer I couldn't even pick up on any other notes that could have been associated with this brew but if you don't believe me and think I'm just bashing the brewery believe the other reviews and try it out you most likely can go enjoy your self a better ocktoberfest brew

1.5/5  rDev -55%

1.75/5  rDev -47.4%

2.25/5  rDev -32.4%

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

2.89/5  rDev -13.2%

A. The color is a rich dark brown, mahogany with a tiny cream colored head that last only for a second. Virtually no lacing also.

S. The aroma is very weak. You get a little mocha mixed with yeast.

T. The taste is just as weak. But it's reversed from the aroma. More yeasty with a little mocha at the end.

M. It feels decent. Not a very heavy beer but is filling.

O. Overall I would say this is a bland beer. There are much better fall iterations so this could probably be looked over easily.

Served in recommended glass.

3.04/5  rDev -8.7%

3.15/5  rDev -5.4%

I've had this beer a few times since it was first released in August. Very excited to try it out and, like other SBC beers, it's been marketed decently well.

A: very dark, basically black in appearance. not what i expected from a Marzen (although I am pretty new to the craft scene). decently thick foam, almost a quarter inch of it was retained throughout.

S: very bready and toasty.

T: heavy toffee flavor. I get a strong coffee aftertaste with each sip I take.

M: not as heavy as some other oktoberfests i've had. goes down fairly easily.

O: overall, I would say the SBC Oktoberfest is much different from basically every other Marzen/Oktoberfest I've ever had. It almost seems to be a different style all together. Between the blackish color and coffee aftertaste, it stands out among other O-fests I've had. Not a bad beer by any means, although not my favorite in this style. Definitely a nice change up from the usual, though.

3.24/5  rDev -2.7%

3.24/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nice light copper color. First few sips were a little metallic but I warmed up to it. Great carbonation.

3.32/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Flight Sample at the Blend Bistro poured into 4 ounce sampler glass. Clear orange in color with a noticeable malt presence in the aroma. Typical Oktoberfest in taste, malty with a hint of lightly sweet caramel. I would have it again, but wouldn't go out of my way to seek it out. There are better renditions out there.

Oktoberfest Beer from Susquehanna Brewing Company