Pils Noir | Susquehanna Brewing Company

Susquehanna Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
sbcbeer.com

Style: Euro Dark Lager

We are pleased to share our innovative black Pilsner, Pils-Noir. Made from Pearl (Winter) barley, malted for us by Munton’s, CaraMalt and Crystal malts, prepared using our unique, husk-free milling process. We then naturally darken the beer using the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Hopped with Oregon Willamette, Mt. Hood and Washington hops, and finished with noble Czech Saaz for a fine aroma.

Added by RyanGoodman on 10-08-2012

Liked:
3.49/5
Alströms:

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

2.5/5  rDev -28.4%

2.7/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Not too bad of a beer

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance
Cola color brown with 3 fingers of fluffy head that dissipates slowly. Good clarity and lacing.

Nose
Light aromas of milk chocolate and smoke.

Taste
Chocolate milk, toffee and butterscotch candies. Caramelized sugar with just a touch of earthy bitterness.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, silky, smooth and clean.

Overall
Similar to a Schwarzbier in flavor. The Pilsner qualities are completely lost. I can't say that I'm crazy about this one.

2.78/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Brown body, translucent ruby when held to he light. Loose oatmeal white head drops from two fingers to table top in seconds.

Mild earthy noble hop aroma.

A touch of sweetness. Hint of roast. Bit of bitter. Lot of little pieces that may fit together, but don't make a big impression.

Smooth soft mouthfeel.

Inoffensive is the best I can say.

Dark malt pils. Not exceptionally malty nor exceptionally hoppy. If you like dark lagers this is for you to add to the beer you had. I will drink it again.

3.03/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance is brown with ruby edges and a thin film of head. The nose is very mild. The flavor profile includes very mild maltiness with some dry hop bitterness on the finish. This offering is very light bodied with muted flavors.

That said, this offering did pair well with my tilapia dinner.

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

A - I love a good dark beer, and this one doesn't disappoint. Thin white head that disappeared quickly (sadly) but a deep blackened amber body helps to keep my attention.

S - Unlike a lot of dark beers I drink which have powerful odors, this doesn't really have any smell at all. I'm not sure if it's just because it was really cold or what, but no matter how hard I try to find anything scent to follow, I just can't find anything.

T - Tastes surprisingly good for having no smell. Tastes kinda like dark bread, maybe some molasses, and I can taste a little funk from the hops, but nothing overwhelming. Great session beer, but don't go in expecting anything deep.

M - Watery but smooth, and not washed-out feeling. Like a generic macro beer.

O - Not bad. A unique brew if anything, a gimmick if you will. Don't get me wrong, it's a good beer, but I would've hoped a little more character could be in a unique beer such as this. Regardless, SBC still has yet to disappoint me, so keep it up guys!

3.1/5  rDev -11.2%

wow what a wonderful beer took me by surprise dark in color and smooth in taste a great beer a beer you can drink and drink puts a a smile om your face a good drink beer all susquehanna beers are worth drinking all night enjoy theese beers thank you sbc your worth drinking

3.2/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -6.9%