Pils Noir | Susquehanna Brewing Company

Susquehanna Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
sbcbeer.com

Style: Euro Dark Lager

We are pleased to share our innovative black Pilsner, Pils-Noir. Made from Pearl (Winter) barley, malted for us by Munton’s, CaraMalt and Crystal malts, prepared using our unique, husk-free milling process. We then naturally darken the beer using the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing. Hopped with Oregon Willamette, Mt. Hood and Washington hops, and finished with noble Czech Saaz for a fine aroma.

Added by RyanGoodman on 10-08-2012

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%

3.86/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

It bothers me that this is being called a "Schwartzbier" since it mentions "Pils" and "classic Czech technique" on the labels. Euro Dark Lager seems to be more fitting. I am put in mind of Film Noir and as a film buff with a Film Studies Certificate from Pitt, some classic crime instrumentals are in order as I begin this review.

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "We're beer people. 6th-generation and going strong with roots that stretch from Northeastern Pennsylvania to the edges of the Black Forest. This Pils-Noir is our tribute to that heritage. It's a new twist on the classic pilsner, with fine malts prepared with our unique husk-free milling process. And it's freshly innovative, naturally darkened with the classic Czech technique of decoction mashing, then finished with a touch of hops. Some beers are crowd pleasers. This one is a generation pleaser.

My pour netted me a finger of fizzy, deep-tan head that quickly fell away to wisps. Color was a deep-garnet or deep-ruby (SRM = > 27, < 34) with NE-quality clarity when held up to the dying light of the day. Nose had a very caramel-like sweetness, perhaps from the decoction. Caramel and milk chocolate, actually. Mouthfeel was prickly, as though the carbonation was very tight. The taste was smoky, chocolaty, a little nutty and somewhat caramel. Man, this was a liquid candy bar of some stripe, although I could not put my finger on it. Finish was a bit too sweet for my taste, but there was nothing intrinsically wrong with it. You might be disappointed if you had your heart set on a schwartzbier, but otherwise, this was a decent bier.

3.03/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance is brown with ruby edges and a thin film of head. The nose is very mild. The flavor profile includes very mild maltiness with some dry hop bitterness on the finish. This offering is very light bodied with muted flavors.

That said, this offering did pair well with my tilapia dinner.

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

An interesting dark pilsner that was very satisfying on a hot summer day. I picked up a growler at a local Tap Room after sampling a few other beers on tap. Susquehanna Brewing did a decent job on this beer and I look forward to trying other brews from these guys. overall I enjoyed this unique brew.

Bottom Line: Decent brew

3.84/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I've had this both on-tap and in bottle. Oddly, at least for me, the bottle is better than the on-tap version. The bottle was better by a lot, too.

A--It pours a deep, dark brown with a medium head that doesn't leave much lacing. Looks pretty good.

S--Oh, yeah there's something good going on here. It's sweet & malty. Can't wait to taste it.

T--Sweet, with a ton of fruitiness. Finish is a bit dry/tannic. Simply tastes good, although that's not as descriptive as this site usually generates. But good is good, regardless.

M--Smooth & easy going. It'll go down easy.

O--Just a step below excellent. Still , "pretty damn good" is pretty damn good. I'd give it two thumbs up, especially at its reasonable price. Still finding it hard to believe that I preferred the bottle to the draught, though.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.75/5  rDev -21%

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Brown body, translucent ruby when held to he light. Loose oatmeal white head drops from two fingers to table top in seconds.

Mild earthy noble hop aroma.

A touch of sweetness. Hint of roast. Bit of bitter. Lot of little pieces that may fit together, but don't make a big impression.

Smooth soft mouthfeel.

Inoffensive is the best I can say.

3.68/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to ClockworkOrange for gifting me with a bottle of this. Stubby 12oz bottle poured into a pint. The brew appears dark brown to black in color with a tan head that fades to a thin film atop. When held to the light, some cola brown clarity is seen around the edges.

The aroma includes a pleasant amount of fruitiness that seemingly comes from alcohol and hops. More sniffs reveal a bit more citrus to floral hop character. For how dark the brew is, it displays surprisingly no roast character to the nose. All that emits is minor fruity tones which I guess is both a good and bad thing for a schwarz.

The flavor is clean and crisp. Again, hops and alcohol come forward with a fruity note before blending off into a neutral grain sweetness that is somewhat like buttered bread. There is a mild citrus component mid-palate that lasts into the aftertaste.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is clean, crisp and one of the more enjoyable schwarzbiers I have had in a long time. I wish it would have included just a bit of roast however it's drinkability and clean profile make up for that. It is to be commended that this the first schwarzbier I have had in a long time that did not have a strange mineral aspect to the finish and little to no diacetyl. Well done, would drink again.

2.5/5  rDev -28.2%