Hopfive IPA | Susquehanna Brewing Company

sbcbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by undeadozzy on 01-04-2013

4.19/5  rDev +22.5%

I almost lost this little guy a couple of days ago. I innocuously opened the reefer door and he decided to take a suicide leap from the shelf upon which he was perched. Employing my cat-like reflexes, I managed to kick my foot out and soften his landing! I could tell that he was plenty shaken by his experience, intentional or no, and I put him back in the reefer, albeit on a lower shelf, to settle down. Poor little IPA!

From the bottle: "People Beer by Beer People"; "There was a time when a hard day's work was punctuated with a sweating glass of effervescent goodness. Call us old-fashioned, but we're hanging onto that day. Five different hop varieties - Bravo, Willamette, Mount Hood, English Progress and as-harvested whole-cone Liberty Hops - guarantee a floral, piney aroma with just a hint of citrus and full hop flavor. Matched with 55 IBUs and our signature golden glow, HopFive might just be the most enjoyable IPA you've ever had."

Days later, upon popping the cap, I was still getting some foaming action, so I allowed it to sit in the now-open bottle while I transcribed the above. I do not recommend any of what I have done to be attempted by anyone as I was just lucky not to have either breakage or a gusher. My initial pour produced naught but dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored foam, so I backed off to allow it to settle before proceeding. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow (SRM = 5), but none of my golden boys, Midas, Croesus nor Mammon, showed any interest. I guess that they prefer clarity, but I will take the blame for my mishandling of my bottle. YMMV. Pine and grapefruit assaulted my nasal cavity and my mouth began to water.

I tied off, like the hops junkie that I once was, am, and seemingly always will be. I now just do it as maintenance as my habit has grown too big to satiate. The howling monkey on my back has departed for greener pastures and as I drew a hit into the tube just before I jammed the spike into its usual entryway and depressed the plunger, I thought back to a time when I had no idea what hops were or what they did for beer. Ah, youthful innocence, now followed by bliss.

The mouthfeel was medium and I believe the reason for this beer's cloudiness was its saturation with hops! The intensity of the bitterness was scrubbing my tongue free of all of the dead taste buds, leaving open wounds in its wake. Unbalanced? Yes, but that speaks to my dislike of Cascadian/Black IPAs - the malt gets in the way of my beloved hops, where malt may have been an afterthought in this one. Hops, hops, and more hops. Gimme dem hops, man! Finish was dry, bitter, much the way I felt when The Old Lady gave me my walking papers this past summer. Suddenly, I was jonesing for her and some more hops ...

Man, I gotta find my dealer's number. I suddenly have the urge to suck on a hops pellet and stare at the TV set for the rest of the day.

Sweet IPA verves towards ab Dogfish 90 Minute hoppy but not too bitter

3.96/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A very crisp, refreshing American IPA. An absolute must try amongst American IPA fans.

3.88/5  rDev +13.5%

A - Poured from a bottle into a stout glass. Rich golden color and a thick frothy head.

S - THE HOPS! Seriously, it's like a wall of hops just hit me in the face! Very rich musk, lots of touches of pine and citrus too.

T - Not bad given it's the brewery's first IPA. Has a taste akin to Red Hook's Longhammer IPA, sharp hop sting followed by the cirtus /pine kick and some sweet maltiness at the end.

M - Feels like beer, nothing good or bad, just average.

O - A great IPA for the money, keep up the good work SBC!

3.87/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.86/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle in a tulip glass.

A- Very hazy golden-light orange color. a 1finger head to start that faded quickly to a white film. Snowdrift lacing.

S- Mild hop aromas. Very floral, mostly, and slightly piney. Citrus rind and fair malts.
The hops are there, albeit a bit understated. No hint of alcohol.

T- Light malts, very floral hop flavor. Citrus rind flavor like from the skin of the fruit. Not boozy or sweet.

M- Not heavy yet very satisfying. Smooth drinking. Sprite hoppy finish, smackingly good.

O- Here I go again, bucking the tide. It's not pretty, ultra-hoppy, or a bomb of any sort, but it worked for me.

3.83/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

This brew was in a gift pack from my brothers for my birthday. Thanks guys!
Pouring a cellar temp bottle into my Rapscallion snifter.
The beer pours a bright gold hue with just a little bit of haze and several streams of carbonation rising to the surface. Large bleached white fluffy head of 4 cm foams up and almost overs the top of my snifter.
Aroma is pine sap and grass with a little bit of sweet malt buried in the background.
Not overpowering nose but an appealing scent.
The beer is easy to drink with a clean crisp body and texture and fine yet prickly carbonation.
Flavor is grassy and bitter hops with just a hint of sweet malt on the finish. The beer dries out nicely after each swallow and lingering astringency coats my palate.
The beer has no flaws and goes down nicely on a warm evening. Im glad to have tried this beer and would try other styles from the brewery if i found any bottles. Nice to see somebody brewing simple, straightforward, no-flaw beers.

3.79/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Golden, clear, decent white head. Toasted grains and light honey come through a heavy citrus, apricot, hop profile. Flavor is a decent balance between the bitter and sweet. Again citrus, apricot flavored dominate. Overall a very drinkable beer.

3.78/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Hopfive IPA from Susquehanna Brewing Company