Kirin Ichiban | Kirin Brewery Company, Limited

Kirin Brewery Company, Limited
Japan
kirin.co.jp

Style: American Pale Lager

Kirin Ichiban is one of the world's most unique premium beers. The Ichiban shibori process uses only the most flavorful portion of the finest ingredients.

100% Malt.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

Ratings: 1,807 |  Reviews: 596

Grainy aroma. OK.

2.56/5  rDev -3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Looks that pale yellow, typical of rice lager. Wait...this isn't rice lager? What the heck Kirin?! A fairly aggressive pour gave a half finger of head without lace or retention. Alt least the body boasts ample carbonation.

Smell: Uhh, smell? I'm catching a slight barley aroma and not much else. Warming brings out a slight corn note. Not a lot to see here.

Taste: Uhh Taste? Once again the beer falls a bit flat in this regard. It's not very often I have a beer where the earthy taste arrives at the start of the beer and departs for the taste of low roasted barley. That's it. Nothing else to see here.

Mouthfeel: It's not quite as smooth as a beer that has this low a flavour should have. The carbonation has a seltzer quality to it that doesn't really help the flavour of the beer. Apart from that, there's just not a lot here due to the lack of aftertaste.

Drinkability: A beer like this had better be drinkable, given the lack of other aspects. It's a little gassy, but it's the kind of beer you can just put back without any problem.

Final Thoughts: I can't up but think of the wrestling Curry Man when I see this beer, because Curry Man is ICHIBAN! Although seriously, this was a disappointment. There's not a lot to this beer. Nothing outrageously bad mind you, but nothing wondrous. Pass

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

1.38/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.25

I am not too excited about this beer. I have had it several times before, but usually order it when we eat. Ra Sushi carries this. It's boring, but it was fun learning about the brewing process. It was also fun learning that this is the most expensive beer in the world. I mean… not literally. But in regards to the brewing process. I also didn't realize they had high taxes in Japan. The more you know!

I am not eating with this. I had a turkey wrap earlier today, but I felt bloated after I ate. Not sure I am going to have dinner. It's weird, because my last three meals I have felt horrible… bloated and really full regardless of what I eat. Maybe I need to stop eating. I did gain weight last week. I'm a mess. Let's drink!

In the Glass: It looks like any domestic beer you have ever had. The beer does have a nice white head that lingers, and then a decent lace as the head settles. I am seeing a ton of bubbles in this one, too. I would see more, but Sheryl turned the light out. She must hate lights!

When we review a beer, I put more focus on my experience with the beer. Speaking of beers, we have over 30 beers in the kitchen to review. I told Sheryl I am not buying any more beer until all of those have been reviewed and consumed! Here's to a few weeks of good craft beer.

Nose: They use maize in this, which makes me think of a rise IPA. With a rice IPA, you get more mellow flavors, and a polished almost fluffy mouthfeel. I hope that is what they mean by "chewiness". In regards to the aroma, not much going on. I love how the tasting notes will drop words like "citrus" and "green apple". I am not getting any of that. Grass before green apple. I doubt it, but I hope the flavor delivers.

Flavor: It didn't. This beer is pretty boring. There isn't much flavor at all. It is VERY drinkable; I will give it that. But this isn't a beer that I would order again. I take that back… if I am having sushi for lunch or dinner, I might order this. But even though this beer is made with 100% malt, I am not impressed with it at all.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel does remind me a of wild rice IPA. I wouldn't call it chewy, but it has a nice fluffy thing going for it. I tried to swish this around a little but, but got hit with a ton of bubbles. Doing that also made me taste the alcohol in it… which didn't help the overall experience. I am glad that beers like this are on our list, but the education is the only thing that I can appreciate. I don't care how they brew it, this beer just isn't very good.

Aftertaste: If there is anything to write home about here, it's the aftertaste. If I did write home, it wouldn't be a long letter. There is a subtle dryness in the finish, but it's a dryness that leaves me wanting to drink something else. I am not sure how big the craft beer industry is in Japan, but they are missing out if this is a beer they are known for. Like I said, this pairs well with food… but that's about it. Unless you are eating, skip it. You can thank me later!

3.75/5  rDev +42%