Kirin Ichiban Shibori Stout | Kirin Brewery Company, Limited

Alströms:

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.37/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the real stuff: Kirin Ichiban Shibori Stout bought to me by a friend from Japan. I’ve been told by that same friend that it’s deadly smooth, as this is a person I trust when it comes to beers because we have a similar taste in brews. So yeah, not an opportunity I often get to try a real Japanese beer (unless I hit the Genko Mart in Alderley, Brisvegas) due to the fact that most Japanese beers that reach Australia aren’t even brewed in Japan! Remember my review of the large Sapporo can that I thought was fair dinkum Japanese? Yep: Made in Vietnam. If I want a Vietnamese beer I’ll buy one, and if I want a Japanese beer, well... it’s a bit harder on the supply side there. Anyhow let’s crack this thing!

Poured from a 350ml can into a nonic pint.

A: Near as black can be body with a sizable 4 centimetre mocha head that slowly disintegrates enough to make it drinkable... eventually... massive bubbles in the head and not much lace left on the side of the glass as it goes down, she ain’t pretty, but looks ain’t everything (least that’s what they tell me). 6/10.

S: Roasted malt and rich molasses all over this nose. Hints of dark fruit as well, this is definitely erring into Baltic Porter territory. Some dark chocolate character comes through at about whiff number 5, and there she is - we’re in Stout country now. It’s not a bad aroma at all, reasonably fulsome and sweet with nary a hint of bitterness (I guess that’s where the smooth comes in to the picture). 7/10.

T: Is this a beer or some kind of Stouty milkshake? Flavours definitely lean towards chocolate (milk & dark) with that roasted malt and molasses character providing a solid base with a nicely balanced sweetness - nothing too over the top, but conversely it goes down a bit easy if that makes sense. Drying towards the finish with a very mild touch of bitterness. Possibly the easiest Stout I’ve had in a looong time. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a carbonation that went from “wow, look at me go!” to “blerrrrrgh” (i.e. flat) in a very short time. I’ve seen this before with some Stouts - they lose carbonation in a blink of the eye. 5/10.

D: I’m liking it, but I’m also wanting a Russian Imperial Stout for better or worse - I can’t help it, I’m a RIS drinker at heart. This is definitely a Stout for people who have never tried one but would like to dabble, it’s like Guinness in that respect, though Guinness is more coffee focused. Give it a go aiight. 7/10.

Food match: If we’re matching Japanese: Seared wagyu tataki.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.17/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

4.06/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz can bottle date of November 2016, into standard pint glass.

L: Black, fluffy tan two finger head with excellent retention.

S: Rich malt, coffee.

T: Rich caramel maltiness, coffee, slight hop bitterness on the finish.

F: Ridiculously smooth, full-bodied.

O: Much better than your standard Guinness style stouts.

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Until a couple of years ago I understand this beer was actually a Black Lager, but they changed the yeast.
Black color with red highlights with a thick huge caramel head with great retention.
Aroma with predominant notes of mocha coffee.
Flavor with notes of caramel, homemade coffee, cocoa, slightly earthy, a bit of charred wood, grains and cola. Dry aftertaste with a cola and roasted note. Very mild bitterness.
Light bordering watery body with good carbonation.
Smooth Stout on the lighter side with homemade coffee predominating. Not outstanding, but I could have a few.

4.1/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The moderately intense aroma is dominated by roasted malt which gives off brown sugar, bread, chocolate, and coffee; there's a light touch of spicy/herbal hops. Pours a large, thick, and smooth tan head; the body is very dark brown with deep garnet highlights against the light. The flavor includes very smooth, dark roasted malt with a toasty, grainy finish. Again, there's a hint of spicy/herbal hops. The flavor thins out over time and comes to taste more like stale coffee but remains rather enjoyable. The feel is smooth and a bit thin with moderate carbonation and a good bite without being overall crisp.

Rich, tasty, pleasantly aromatic, and fairly solid overall. Especially at first, there's lots of roasted, mildly sweet maltiness in the flavor with a slight hoppy accent. It does thin out like many other dark, malty beers, but at that point its Ichiban Shibori foundation becomes detectable while retaining its smoothness and roasted malt flavor. I'd be happy to have it again.

1.75/5  rDev -48.4%

3.22/5  rDev -5%

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

3.86/5
aroma is fulfilling
palate is roasted rye bread
dark barley roast is presence
"koku"mentship is here
nutty caramel and yet sweet inside the palate

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

4.11/5  rDev +21.2%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, was recently on a far out trip to the Far East and brought back a plethora of CANs for me. I am very excited by all of these foreign CANs and as such, today is my New CANned Black & Oriental Beer Sunday!

From the CAN: "Kirin's Prime Beer"; "Brewed for Good Times"; "The first wort gives this quality draft beer a full-bodied flavor. The deep and creamy taste enriches your precious time."

They have NO idea just how precious my time is! I should be paid to do this, but for now, it is time for the Crack & Glug! My initial inverted Glug into my Anderson Valley CAN glass not only produced a faux-cascading action, but the head began to threaten to overflow the glass. I allowed it to settle into two-plus fingers of dense, deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown which allowed for ZERO light penetration. Nose had a dark chocolate, burnt charcoal quality along with a slight metallic tang. Mouthfeel was dense, creamy and coupled with the chocolate flavor, I could close my eyes and imagine having a milkshake. Finish was semi-sweet with the chocolaty flavor simply lingering. I CAN see why tone77 thought that this was the best of the lot.

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 11.2 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by coffee. Taste is coffee, roasted malts, a touch of smoke. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is probably the best beer I found at the local beer vending machine here in Tokyo.

12oz can poured into a hotel tumbler

Pours black but not opaque, light brown head. Smell is toast and chocolate.

Taste is coffee, slightly burnt toast, and not much else. A little one dimensional, but not bad.

Mouthfeel is thinnish and light. Overall, this isn't a very special beer, but it's not bad. I'd drink it again, unless there was something else to try.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast