Double Day Tripper

From:
Indeed Brewing Company - Minneapolis

Minnesota, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 26 | Ratings: 180
Reviews by Tricerahops:

1.93/5  rDev -52.7%

The little brother of this beer became my go-to brew in the summer of 2015, so I’m looking at this 16 oz. can meaning to crush the life out of it. Best by 11/29/15 on the bottom of the can. I don’t know what that means.

The pour is a darker, filtered orange. The nose, perhaps drifting over from the visual, is mostly oranges, with a bit of caramel & birch bark. Really, not much going on in the nose even after resting on its ass for 15 minutes out of the fridge.

Double Day Tripper reminds me of a mean older brother. Most of the things I love about Day Tripper are absent or crushed here except a nice, sharp bittering hoppiness. After that there is enough onion to repel Dracula, & said rooty bulb was not washed before being tossed into the kettle. Caramel malt emerges & disappears in the mid-palate, as does a sliver of orange. Boozy. Thick & syrupy, which is nice, but it’s perhaps the first Indeed beer that I have way, way too much of in my pint glass.

I’m not sure if it was intentional, but the onion in this is overpowering, & not in a good way. For my palate, this is a very bad beer from a very good brewery; I’m not going to get close to finishing this, & feel an overwhelming urge to scrub my mouth out. A shame.

2.54/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.9/5  rDev -4.4%

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: A gorgeous amber color with a thick khaki head that was bubbling and dissipating slowly.

Nose: What a great beer should do, especially one that is increasing it's stature from its smaller version. Like great original artwork, or style... you just know the beer when you smell it. I could do this with Kind Sue, and I can do it with Double Day Tripper. I get huge astringent hops notes of lemon, fresh cut grass, almost "Squirt soda" found in Day Tripper Pale Ale. I also get dank mosaic notes and a clean bread malt.

Taste: Immediate citrusy hops in the front, followed by a dank and tropical passion fruit. Notes of citrus, papaya, kiwi, backed with a stable cracker malt that helps give the beer depth, but also keeps it fresh and moving. It's not overly malty at all, or too sweet like a Dog Fish 90. This is really well crafted beer. It's a little tease for me to have to wait for March for their Let It Ride release, which is one of my favorite beers of all-time. Fantastic balance.

4.08/5  rDev 0%

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to @maximum12 for the opportunity to try this one! I'm unsure how to rate Double Day Tripper. On the one hand, it was an onion bomb which I know I hate. On the other hand, I decided to ignore the fact that every whiff and taste screamed "onion! onion!" and try to enjoy it, kind of like how I decided to like cilantro one day because I didn't want it to ruin the food that I was eating; and from that day on, cilantro has been an acceptable flavor for me. That's how Double Day Tripper experience went. It is an intensely flavorful brew, definitely onion but also the citrus and piney flavors as advertised on the can. I'm choosing to rate it for the positive characteristics and pretend that I didn't mind the onionyness, which is how I chose to drink it after all. Bottom line: beware if you know you don't like oniony IPA's, or it could be tough to get through a full 16-oz can of this one.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

A great double pale, citrus and spice in both smell and taste, not to mention a butt load of hops! If you can try it on tap somewhere, I'm sure it's twice as good.

4.04/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

4.37/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic and affordable
Can't go wrong and it's damn tasty

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.44/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast