Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cerveza Aguila | Cervecería De Barranquilla

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by Todd on 11-04-2002

3.2

1.27/5  rDev -52.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.25/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

3.6/5  rDev +35.8%

2.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

1.63/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Bad beer, it was like water in my mouth

2.94/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

From Carrefour San Juan. Playing Kings Bounty Dark Side. Better than the typical spanish lagers

2.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.34/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.66/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.1/5  rDev +17%

More Bock like flavors than a traditional macro lager.

3.13/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I have to give my peeps at The Friendly Greek Bottle Shop big ups, madd props and much love, yo! I do not know how they happened to begin carrying this beer, but when I asked them to break a sixer so that I could buy a single, they readily did so. I love just browsing in there and I have yet to leave empty handed.

From the bottle [translated]: "The Beer of Columbia"; "Famous Since 1913".

Let's face it, a 330-ml. bottle of 4% beer is not going to be very harmful to my health, as the rest of the label warned. It featured one of the tightest screw-top caps that I have encountered in a while, so it took me a combination of levering almost to a Pop! before I could get it to twist. Wow!

I gave it a really aggro pour since it was not going to overfill the glass and I wound up with two fingers of dense, bone-white head with moderate retention as a result. Color was Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5) with NE-quality clarity and my chums, Midas, Mammon and Croesus showed up for some gelt. Perhaps I have been away from them for so long that I have lost touch, but the nose did not smell all that bad for an AAL. Yes, there was a touch of corn silage, but it did not seem as pronounced as in many other iterations of the style. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium. The taste was pleasant, slightly sweet, definitely a lager, but I was not getting the heavy corn flavor that I often notice from this flawed style. The finish had an odd tobacco/nicotine flavor, like stale cigarette butts were in the bottom of the bottle. Uh oh! No, false alarm, but what an odd, astringent aftertaste. Finish was semi-sweet. I bought this as a novelty and I got my money's worth, but I really wouldn't buy more than a single or two.

2.96/5  rDev +11.7%

2.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Picked this up last month at Top Hops in New York, having never had this before nor having an American Adjunct Lager in quite some time. I didn't expect much from this, which made this that much more enjoyable when it turned out not to be a drain pour. There was enough body here to make this enjoyable but underneath it all, this turned out to be true to form stylistically.

Of course, this had a golden appearance with a fluffy head that quickly settled down. Just a small ring of lacing that slid down the side of my pint glass after each sip. Lots of cereal and grain with just a hint of Noble hoppiness and hardly any malt to be found. The mouthfeel was soapy, weak, and a bit astringent. Some type of filler could be detected in the back to go with the sour bitterness that lingered in the aftertaste but thankfully, that didn't last long. The carbonation was present enough to scrub any floral notes away, ensuring that this stayed relatively level when it came to the taste and mouthfeel.

Session beer? Look no further, although I couldn't see anyone having more than one bottle in a sitting. Some potato chip-like body and crispness would have added a lot to this but as it was, this called for one tasting and nothing more. Too dry to enjoy in large amounts, the grain didn't quite measure up and a big glass of water was called for once I polished this off. Not the worst example of this style out there but still a bit lacking when all was said and done.

2.44/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a pale yellow golden color with white head. Cereal grains and sweet malts on the nose; follows onto the palate. Light bodied. Finishes fairly clean.

mixed six from Plantation Total Wine

1.5/5  rDev -43.4%

Not much in terms of aroma or flavor. Instead, a metallic nose and aftertaste that was less than pleasant. Not a beer that I would recommend.

3.05/5  rDev +15.1%

330 ml bottle, date code of 112314. Best by 11/23/14? who knows?

pours a bright clear yellow color. mild grainy aroma. clean mild malt taste as well. slightly sweet. thin body, high carbonation. drinks easy.

3.5/5  rDev +32.1%