Cerveza Aguila | Cervecería De Barranquilla

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

2.75/5  rDev +2.6%

2.85/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

330ml bottle poured into pint glass 27/3/14

A clear straw yellow with bubbles ranging from pin pricks to giants, no head or lace after a dump down the middle

S smells faint, sweet grains, a little hay, paper shredding, nothing offensive but not much of anything really

T maybe a little rice cake to go with what I smell, nothing really tastes bad but I struggle to find flavour good or bad

M light, well carbonated and a very clean finish if you can believe it, I mean I've had more after taste from first world tap water

O sometimes I'd prefer no flavour to bad flavour and this might be one of those beers, nothing to complain about but nothing to praise either, its just bland

I thought I got a country tic out of this one but was wrong, I doubt I'll remember my second beer from Columbia much like I didn't remember the first.

1.5/5  rDev -44%

2.25/5  rDev -16%

Another lager on the menu.
Pours with a typical clear, golden color, and is topped with a medium white head of short retention. Also, quite bubbly.
There's not much to say about the nose really, since it's pretty weak with only faint grainy hops present.
The taste is similar. Not much there, light and feels watered down. The start is slightly sweet, while the finish does have a minimum amount of bitterness.
Very easy to drink, but not much to the taste really.

2.62/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I bought a cold can of this from a street vendor in front of the Castillo San Felipe de Barajas in Cartagena for $2. Selling them for that much to Americans has to be a great living for a Columbian, and the vendors are providing an important service. I was happy to support them. There were vendors everywhere we went and they were selling any and every thing.

We did not walk up the Castillo (it is huge) but drinking a quick light beer at 9:00 in the morning standing in front of it on a typically hot day in Columbia was a pleasant experience, even if the beer is a lot like bad American swill (a miller would be a major improvement over this).

The beer has little character, but I would recommend it in the circumstances under which I bought it - it was there, it was cheap, I was on vacation, why not. BTW, I enjoyed drinking it with a new friend who was sharing my cab, Oz, from San Francisco. Cheers, Oz.

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

Light golden color with a head of short retention.
Not pleasant smell of corn and faint notes of floral hops.
Flavor of corn, malt and floral hops. Hints of butter and vanilla. Mild dry and bitter aftertaste.
Light body with medium carbonation.
Average adjunct lager, a bit more bitter but not really refreshing. It seems they sell more the “Chicas Aguila” than real beer.

1.98/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

269cl can bought in Cartagena (Colombia) and opened on 1st Feb 2013 while off the coast of Mexico.

Tasted cheap, which it wasn't: I got stung by a young lad in a dark shed for a bottle of water and this can for $10.00, the little shit. I suppose he and his family needed the money more than me though.

To be fair it looked fine: your usual lager/pilsner golden clear and bright body with a fading head of white.

Sadly it then began to fail: seaweed and metallic in the nose and mouth, dry and boring feel to the whole thing. My Colombian box is now ticked.

3.25/5  rDev +21.3%