Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

UP IPA | Brickside Brewery

2.87/5
Poor

Brickside Brewery
bricksidebrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by minterro on 10-12-2012

2.15/5  rDev -25.1%

3.37/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.14/5  rDev -25.4%

Beer had a vinegar after taste and smell

1.5/5  rDev -47.7%

From a bottle. Smelled very strongly of burnt sugar and vinegar. Low carbonation. Tasted like burnt sugar with a hint of vinegar. No hops detectable in the smell or taste. Huh?? I don't know what happened to this. I assumed it was a bad batch but looking at old reviews here, it seems this isn't a new problem. I don't know. It was not good.

2.68/5  rDev -6.6%

3.08/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Brickside Brewery U.P. I.P.A.

Thanks Dr. K. Poured from a 22oz bottle into a shaker pint. Served chilled...

A) Hazy dark amber with a big fluffy off white head. Nearly two fingers. Excellent retention and lacing.

S) This brews aroma definitely peaks with some warmth. Malty, whole grains, dank earthy hops, and some citrus too.

T) The aroma got my hopes up, but the flavor didn't quite get there... Grainy... Quite grainy... Toasted malt and earthy hops. Quite bitter on the backend. A little alcohol warmth. Wonder what the ABV is here.

M) Solid medium body with a gritty feel. Rough finish and a less than desirable aftertaste.

O) Some potential here, but I think this needs some tweaking.

2.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.75/5  rDev +30.7%

1.6/5  rDev -44.3%

Pours a rusty color, suspiciously little head despite trying hard to conjure one up.

Vague pine smell amidst dank malt.

Seriously dank cloying sweetness, followed by a clunky pine finish. Something is wrong here.

Mouthfeel nearly dead flat. I wonder if that alone contributes to the sense of something being way off.

I'm going to hope that this was a bad batch or something and that the guys at Brickside can make some adjustments. I love the UP and hope next time I see a Brickside beer it will treat me better.

1.93/5  rDev -32.8%

Thanks to my awesome gf im able to try some brand spanking new yooper beer from a brewery that recently opened in Copper Harbor, MI.

Didn't make a sound when I opened it. Only a minuet about of head present ever when poured as viciously as possible. Smells like an amber the only thing I could smell is carmel malts, no hop presence at all. beer is a dark highly translucent orange and the head is light tan.

Tastes like a ESB with tartness. Very malty at the same time. Its an unflattering version of a amber and a ESB. Completely flat, medium body.

Overall: Didn't like it at all. I don't know if its just the batch or what. This brewery seems like its ok overall but they really missed the mark on this one. Actually hard to drink.

UP IPA from Brickside Brewery