Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,755 |  Reviews: 1,092

H64

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Pats vs. Vikings (2018)

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sadly I have to agree with many of the other reviewers on board, bass used to be my favorite beer, used to never have a refrigerator without it, but avoid things have changed, a bit skunky a bit rough. Not the beer I remember or loved. I'm now off to craft Brews to try to fill that void such a shame cuz bass was awesome in its day.

3.17/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.17/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewing as part of BJCP training. 11C strong bitter.
Light fizzy head, low retention, no lacing, crystal clear amber color

Nose quite muted, a little grassy herbal hop, hint of amber toasty malt, otherwise light, I suspect adjuncts

Taste sweet caramel toasty amber malts, little biscuity, toffee too, then hops bring mild herbal earthy notes, some fruity esters and a little bubblegum phenol note, melon fruits, bitterness is fairly light but increases to a mild bitterness late, again light but drinkable, quite fruity as it warms

Mouth is medium to lighter bod, decent fizzy carb

Overall meh, very light, not much of anything, easy drinking but made for 11A style maybe, but somehow this is listed as 11C for commercial examples, way too light for overall profile but I guess classified as 11C specifically due to abv which is sad

No! No! No! Sigh. Once again ABInbev has screwed beer drinkers. I had not drunk this pale ale for a long time. I tried it at a pub and regret my decision. Color of weakly brewed tea w/lots of streaming bubbles. Faint whiff of something I couldn't quite put my finger on but whatever it was wasn't pleasant. Same for the taste. I usually don't make the infamous "yuck" face but I did this time around. The head of foam was like soap and there was a very nasty aftertaste. Looked at the bottle's label-for some odd reason they didn't have it on tap but in bottles only-and now I see why. Brewed in New York of all places. I really don't like to taste corn/rice/cereal grain funk in my beer. This was so bad I almost ordered a Bud for my second round...almost. I already had a low and I mean low opinion of products coming out of AB-Inbev and this just confirmed it. If you like it more power to you. Bass just isn't what it used to be and clearly not my cup of tea. Should have known. Oh well live and learn. Over all a very nasty and pale imitation of what was once a decent pale ale. A rep for AB claimed that the formula or recipe had not been altered. Given AB's track record I don't really believe that. I don't think I will be making this mistake again. Grade wise I have to give Bass Pale Ale an F (The American brewed version at least).

2.77/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

3.91/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.32/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle, 4.4% Marston's brewed version.

Pours light orange, perfect clarity, small head that lasts.

Aroma of light toffee apple, raisin, boiled sweet.

Taste adds a bit of nuttyness. Far too mild bitterness for my liking, drying finish.

It's ok, just wish it was so much more.

2.18/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

I used to love Bass Ale!

However, they have since sold out to AB and they have dropped off my purchase plan.
I even wrote to them about my dissatisfaction, but never heard back.
I then again tried to suggest improvements,
but I think they blocked me from getting through to them.

Not your father's Bass Ale and that's for sure!
Basically a very lousy imitation.

Yes, there was the deep dark color,
but that's about it.
I detected some GMOs,
corn and maybe some molasses,
hops was about right,
but nothing like I remember.
Missing true Burton-on-Trent water.
I'll pass the next time.

3.58/5  rDev +7.2%

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.98/5  rDev +49.1%

Nice, light and refreshing ale with good taste!
First taking a look at the presentation. Very nice apperience and label design. Bass having history as one of England's first trademark products, i find that to be a neat fact. Also the world's first Pale Ale. Moving along to the smell. I find the nose to be somewhat sweet and mellow with hints of nutmeg at least to my experience. There is some underlying maltiness. The taste is as I expected for a macro Ale. Nice upfront yeasty, malt flavor with some caramelized sugar notes along with very mild hint of nutmeg. The beer is low as far as hops go. Very mild hop flavor which allows the Malt to shine through. Overall the tast is well suited to the American pallet. Most of the flavor is light and subtle. The mouth feel is where this beer falls short for me. Light to medium on the pallet, not a heavy body at all. This ale is smooth and refreshing. If budweiser was a ale, it would be this. I enjoy it and would consider buying it again!

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

3.94/5  rDev +18%

Bronzy color - somewhat cloudy. Minimal head. I'm getting an aroma with some malty-ness. Robustly carbonated. Smooth drinker. Not overly bitter. Mid-range fullness of taste. Real pleasant beer for just about any occasion.

3.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium deep coppery amber with a one finger white head with great retention and thick lacing. Aroma of lightly caramel and biscuit malt, rye bread, a hint of molasses. Flavor is sweet caramel and biscuit malt, brown bread and crust, light grassy hops. Flavor drops off into a lightly sweet, malty finish with some mildly astringent hops. Medium bodied with light creaminess. Not sure why I haven't reviewed this classic ale before, and also unsure whether I ever had it before it was brewed under more industrial conditions. It does have character of a beer that has a nice basic recipe, but the flavors have been slightly sweetened and muted. The initial taste is pleasant, if a little sweet, but the flavor tapers off quickly into a less interesting, lightly flavored finish that leaves the grassy hops a bit stark on the palate. Hard to do justice to this historical ale without tasting it brewed closer to its home and possibly in the past. Alas. Looks very nice.

3.12/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From notes 1/14/12: Pours an orange amber producing 1 finger of off-white, rapidly dissipating head that leaves little lacing. Aroma is pale and toasted malt with a low hop profile for the style. Taste is similar with more hop character and sweetness. Not great but not bad either. Readily available and a good choice where higher quality crafts and import availability is limited.

3.42/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draft Hogs Head Pub, Wizarding World of Harry Potter Orlando.

Pours a nice amber, creamy head of form with thin layers of lace around the plastic pint.

Notes of caramel and dark fruit on the nose. Predominantly sweet, with a medium malt character to balance.

Sweet, malty, bready. Caramel and malt backbone. Balanced, tasty, surprisingly good.

Medium body and carb. Smooth, crisp. Refreshing beer.

4.74/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited