Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,046 | Ratings: 2,591
Reviews by bondjedi:

On tap at the Fiesta Henderson.

One finger of off-white foam, into a schooner instead of a pint glass. Very nice copper color, translucent. Goes down very well, with a sweet malty finish.

Dee-licious! I can drink this till I collapse. I like to drink it from the bottle, but from the tap it's arguably the best brew pound-for-pound on the planet.

**UPDATE

Ever since the Bass destined for US consumption has been brewed in upstate New York, the Beer Advocate ratings have slumped. This is a case of "haters gonna hate." Bass Ale is still the best g-damn beer out there, and the keg of it that I just bought the other days attests to that.

2.24/5  rDev -34.1%

16.9 oz can with no freshness date, "Bass Pub Pour" ... what the hell is this?

Appearance: Good two fingers of head with a great clarity to show off the reddish amber hue.

Smell: Aroma of nearly rotten fruit with a musty basement yeast nose.

Taste: Apple skin, thin caramel malting and muted hops with a slight bitterness. The malt flavor seems too beat up to give any real sweetness or character at that, just a nasty fruitiness in the finish.

Mouth Feel: Pub Pour? If I was poured a beer like this I'd send it back. It is not lack of carbonation but the slickness that is left in the mouth.

Drinkability: Hard to down even half the can, and once it warmed up it got even worse.

This beer is absolute rubbish.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

From a bottle at a golf club bar, being the best offering available. I drank it from the bottle because the bartender already seemed peeved that he had to go in the back and look for it and I didn't choose to bother him further by asking for a glass. Much thinner tasting than I remembered with a slight metallic taste and lots of dried fruit flavors. Kind of reminded me of some dry-yeast homebrews that were fermented at too high of a temperature, even for ales. Somewhat wine-like aromas and even some ...corn? Surely they don't put corn in this beer. Bet they add some form of sugar though. I can't believe I used to enjoy this beer.

1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

Avoid, if possible, the stuff that's made in Baldwinsville, New York.

This is not the Bass Ale you were looking for. The real stuff is dry. This is annoyingly sweet and not as well attenuated as it ought to be.

The real Bass Ale has a hint of grain astringency that complements the bittering hops in the finish. This is what I was looking forward to. I did not get it out of this. Miller High Life has more grain character than this does.

This is too sweet and needs to ferment longer or harder. What hop there is in the finish is soapy, and not in the good cilantro notes you used to get with Watney's Red Barrel, either.

They may not have the water right yet in Baldwinsville. They might be following the recipe perfectly but for this, but it would make a big difference. Some more sulfate salts in the water would probably improve this.

At least, we still have Guinness Extra.

I thought this beer was all about the water at bruten on trent and the old fermenters???? what the hell happened? I know alot of contract brews are out there, but when I pay for a world class brew, I'd like to have just that; not a fake! I use to be able to get Fuller's and Belhaven, I guess thouse days are gone and now Sam Adams is making "light " beer; Good God what is the world coming to???

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Reviewing the American version, brewed in NY.

Look: Clear light amber/copper color. The cram colored head recedes to a thin film with light lacing, if any sticking to the glass.

Aroma: Muted malts, subdued caramel sweetness. Tea-like faint hops.

Taste: A bitter, tea-like hop note filters over muted caramel malts. Not a whole lot going on here.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light in weight. Somewhat carbonated.

Overall: Very bland. Was expecting more.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Here is a bottle that I CANnot believe that I have never reviewed before now! There was a bar down the street from my uncle's apartment in the Noe Valley area of S. F. in 1988 - '89 that always had this on-tap and I used to frequent them when in the neighborhood. I guess that it is time to get reacquainted.

From the bottle: "The World's First Pale Ale."; "In the British Tradition of [undersigned] Wm. Bass & Co.'s"; "Originally Brewed in 1777 by William Bass Brewers Limited, Burton-on-Trent, England"; "This Fine Pale Ale has been brewed in the Great British tradition using the finest two-row malted barley"; "Iconography [-] As Bass Pale Ale's popularity grew, unscrupulous imitators used to pass off inferior products as Bass by copying the unique red triangle logo. In 1875, concerned for the reputation of their beloved brew, Bass brewers applied for and were granted England's first registered trademark."

Ah, the nostalgia that goes with Pop!ping this cap. In fact, the cap reads, "Pry Off". Piss off, mate! I'll do as I bloody well please and I won't have some wanker giving me directions! That sorted, it was time for a heavy-handed pour, such as we were accustomed to giving such twats as couldn't keep their blowholes shut. This bit of action got me two fingers of foamy, rocky, tan head with good retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity & if I find out who called the coppers on me, there's to be hell to pay! Nose had a tropical fruitiness that is just how I remember it from a lad. Sweet, but with an earthiness borne of English hops. I just broke a cunt's nose with the last bottle, let's see how this one fares. Mouthfeel was medium, but prickly, more carbonated than I remember, although I'm relatively certain that they wouldn't have had it on cask in 1988, or would they? The taste was lightly fruity, but sharpened at the edges by the hops. Speaking of sharpened, the bloke next to me is about to feel the sharpened knife in my hand slipping between his ribs if doesn't give us some room, right?!? Got him sorted, tickety-boo. Now, then, where was I? Oh, yes, the finish. Finish was semi-dry, not really one for sweets, myself. Yeah, it had that fruitiness that I keep coming back to, but the hops held it all in check. Speaking of checks, I've got to pay mine & go! I hear sirens & I feel like I may break out in handcuffs.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 6/20/2014. Pours slightly hazy deep copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings around the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of herbal/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, light pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Nice robustness and balance of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly metallic mouthfeel that is okay. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5%. Overall this is a very solid English pale ale. All around good balance and robustness of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A pleasantly enjoyable offering.

1.63/5  rDev -52.1%

This is the stuff brewed in Baldwinsville, NY.

I'm fairly convinced that I somehow managed to buy a skunked/spoiled 12 pack. I don't usually use that excuse, but I'll elaborate below. The outside of the 12 pack, and the long neck labels, have the date "11291" on them, and today is December 7, 2011. If that is the production date they should still be fine, but if that is the expiration date they are months past it.

A: Light golden copper color. Obscenely clear. You could do your taxes while looking through a glass of this stuff. Aquafina is less filtered. A very hard pour resulted in a moderate head of fine bubbles that lasted for about 15 seconds and leaves no lacing. The bubbles racing up the glass are champagne like, as is the head. Not a good sign.

S: Cooked vegetables. Vanilla pudding. Cherries. Lots of alcohol in the nose for a 5% ABV beer.

T: Ugh. Stale tasting. Very reminiscent of Budweiser. Not really much there. Some sweetness, that's about it. Once again too much alcohol taste/feel for 5% ABV. Leaves a slightly bitter and oily coating on the back of your tongue after you swallow.

M: Extremely carbonated. Carbonation is champagne like and burns your tongue as you drink it. Watery.

O: I so seldom buy spoiled beer (it's been years) that it is hard for me to call any beer spoiled. I just don't think this 12 pack of Bass Ale is right. If I ever have it again in the future I'll be sure to re-review it. For now, I have 10 more bottles of this stuff to choke down.

2.46/5  rDev -27.6%

Appearance: Medium copper color with one finger of head that fades to a thin cap with a decent curtain of lace.

Aroma: Sweet and grainy with hints of brown sugar and lemon.

Taste: Sweet and fairly thin upfront, then mild bitterness and decent carbonation in the middle leading to a fast, clean and uninspiring finish with a touch of lingering graininess.

The Rest: Hugh letdown. Back in college, Bass was a real treat, and I definitely don't remember tasting this poor. I would have a hard time in a blind taste test telling this apart from Bud. There are countless Pale Ales out there that are better than this.

Additionally, it's not brewed in England anymore. It's contract brewed by AB in their Baldwinsville brewery. The label states that it's brewed in the finest British Tradition. I find it pretty dubious that there's much fine British tradition going on in Syracuse, NY.

1.83/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Bought a 12 pack of this brew , thought it was going to be good because it says it the first ale ever invented. Was I wrong. This beer is awful bitter with strong bad hops. Smells bad as well. Had in glass and bottle no difference just as bad. Definitely would never get this beer again.

1.86/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This was a great beer way back when, after being bought by anheuser busch, and replacing hops with two row malts, this is nothing more than a Budweiser with extra malts and a horrible natti ice aftertaste. Shame on this company for buying out and ruining a beer that has been around since artist like Monet and dictators like Napoleon Bonaparte. Just another casualty in the war of the beers. Seems any good beers will be bought out and watered down if they sell out. I will not even do the beer review in terms of mouthfeel, ect , cause to be honest its not worth it, as it fails all tests..Now I only speak of the usa version by anheuser busch, I remember the uk version being delicious!

4.8/5  rDev +41.2%

I finally found this beer at the Wine Cellar Warren Michigan-USA
----it is usually on draft at places like Bennigans- pubs- yes- its nutty-fruity great color -great taste--get tired of all the light beer-with no taste-- this is is very satisfying-need more vendors here-

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

A classic beer that doesn't get it's due.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Alot of times when at bars its either Bass Guiness or macro so I drink alot of this,pours a nice golden color with usually not much head,aroma is malty with light fruitiness.There is a decent crisp maltiness to the brew but pretty subdues a fruity tinge makes it a decent one to drink more than one at a time while hangin out,hey in my opinion when at a bar with not much selection you cant go wrong here.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance – Crystal clear orange in the body with a nice head that went down slowly and left a lacing that nearly blanketed the inside of my glass.

Smell – Wonderful aroma of citrus hops and creamy malt. The sugars and caramel mix well here with the hoppy profile.

Taste – This is definitely an English-style Pale Ale. It is creamy and smooth with a bit of peppery spicing. There’s a slight bitter-type of aftertaste that didn’t quite seem right, but other than that this was very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel – Creamy and well-blended. This medium-bodied ale felt great in the cheeks.

Drinkability – I had no trouble putting this one away. It would make a terrific session ale, is inexpensive, and can be found just about anywhere (at least here in Seattle it can).

Comments – I usually find myself in the same ballpark with the other BAs, especially on a beer like this that has had so many reviews. But it seems that I liked this more than most. Oh, well, I guess that’s why we rate ‘em : )

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Bought this one from the local packy. Pours a medium amber in color with a good two finger head and lots of lace. Biscuity malt with a slight caramel sweetness with light hops to balance. mouthfeel and carbonation are good. Drinkability? had no problem drinking several for this review.

2.59/5  rDev -23.8%

The pint comes to me a slightly oxidized copper color with a small amount of sudsy white head that leaves quickly but keeps a decent top-film and very good lacing. There is no nose really.

The taste is extremely sweet. It is sugary and kind of tastes like fruit roll-up. There is a slight citrus tase, but almost no bitterness at all. Mothfeel is nice and smooth. This is a decent, drinkable beer, but its all wrong for a british pale.

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

Disappointed...

Pours copper with some lacing. Smells of hops and malt, not much else. Watery taste with a little finishing bitterness. Lighter mouthfeel than anticipated. Watery taste = drinkable, but not necessarily enjoyble.

Overall not horrible, but definitly not worth the money.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Pours a clear dark gold with small white head; minimal lacing

S: Light smell, nothing particularly striking.

T: Light but prominent malt tones but with a dry finish. Tends to be a touch sweet in the beginning.

M&D: Really about average on both accounts. After a while, the mouthfeel almost feels a tad watery.

I found the unique feature of this brew to be in the taste; there is an interesting sweetness in the malt but the finish tends to be dry. There also seems to be something interesting in the bittering, like there is something more, or perhaps different, than just hops.

This is a very good beer and a great example of an English Pale Ale. It poured a light amber color with a good sized white head that stuck to the glass all the way down. The smell was kind of skunky but with a good floral hop scent. The taste is very malty with a touch of sweetness in there, but not too much as to make it annoying. The hop profile also comes through very nicely and bites at the end. All in all a very good pale ale.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited