Bass Pale Ale

Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,105 | Ratings: 2,782 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by jofat:

I thought this beer was all about the water at bruten on trent and the old fermenters???? what the hell happened? I know alot of contract brews are out there, but when I pay for a world class brew, I'd like to have just that; not a fake! I use to be able to get Fuller's and Belhaven, I guess thouse days are gone and now Sam Adams is making "light " beer; Good God what is the world coming to???

Warning this is faux US version of this beer brewed by A&B Inbev ( brewed in Baldwinsville, New York.) Not going to waste much review time on this imposter pint . Any reference to Bass&co of England or the red triangle really should be removed be removed out respect of the original bass & co product. A&B INBEV please have clearly marked packaging stating made of puddle water in the USA, instead of the double dutch labeling This is NOT the Bass you remember or liked. head disappears quite quick no lacing , weak colour ,no body , none of the nice Burton Trent favors , and the body one would expect of this once fine pint ,no midlands malt ,British hops ? probably not . Michael Jackson is turning in his grave!!!!!!! not the pop star FYI . It's just another watered down American beer from A&B inbev . LIFE is quite short Don't waste the effort it takes to lift this pint . if good beers keep getting corrupted by big beer in the name of profit ill stay home and brew my own !!!!!!!!.my bass ale clone malt extract easy recipe. coming soon to this site soon ." when pints get corrupted home brew its the only way to go" ." HOMEBREWED BASS EXTRACT RECIPE SHORT .2 CANS OF MUNTONS OLD ALE MALT EXTRACT...3 OR 4 LBS OF MUNTONS LIGHT DME 1.20 OZ CHALLENGER UK HOP FOR BOIL 0.75 0Z FUGGLES UK HOP O.75 EAST KENT GOLDING UK HOP. BURTON WATER SALTS FOLLOW PACKET INSTRUCTIONS 2 PACKETS OF MUNTONS ALE YEAST. 60 MINS BOIL TIME.. batch prime with with 3/4 cup brewers surgar or 1 cup light dme FERMENT TIME 7 TO 14 DAYS .BOTTLE to PINT GLASS 7 TO 24 DAYS LONGER TIME THAN 7 DAYS FERMENTATION WILL PRODUCE A BETTER PINT ..LONGER TIME IN BOTTLE BOTTLE WILL PRODUCE A BETTER PINT". cheers enjoy

1.35/5  rDev -59.9%

Took a chance and had one. I had previously had this before but a long time ago. No smell, no taste. Not a good beer anymore. As with most beers bought and/or brewed by AB-Inbev Bass went downhill quickly. The U.S. version is even worse.

2.43/5  rDev -27.9%

I remember Bass being one of my go-to beers, over a decade ago, but I just recently bought a 12 pack and I am quite disappointed. As you might imagine, it might have something to do with AB INBEV bringing production of the classic English Ale to the United States, and, I'm guessing, changing the recipe (particularly the carbonation) to fit what they estimate to be expected by American tastebuds.

Probably won't be buying this again anytime soon.

2.24/5  rDev -33.5%

16.9 oz can with no freshness date, "Bass Pub Pour" ... what the hell is this?

Appearance: Good two fingers of head with a great clarity to show off the reddish amber hue.

Smell: Aroma of nearly rotten fruit with a musty basement yeast nose.

Taste: Apple skin, thin caramel malting and muted hops with a slight bitterness. The malt flavor seems too beat up to give any real sweetness or character at that, just a nasty fruitiness in the finish.

Mouth Feel: Pub Pour? If I was poured a beer like this I'd send it back. It is not lack of carbonation but the slickness that is left in the mouth.

Drinkability: Hard to down even half the can, and once it warmed up it got even worse.

This beer is absolute rubbish.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Reviewing the American version, brewed in NY.

Look: Clear light amber/copper color. The cram colored head recedes to a thin film with light lacing, if any sticking to the glass.

Aroma: Muted malts, subdued caramel sweetness. Tea-like faint hops.

Taste: A bitter, tea-like hop note filters over muted caramel malts. Not a whole lot going on here.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light in weight. Somewhat carbonated.

Overall: Very bland. Was expecting more.

4.35/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Here is a bottle that I CANnot believe that I have never reviewed before now! There was a bar down the street from my uncle's apartment in the Noe Valley area of S. F. in 1988 - '89 that always had this on-tap and I used to frequent them when in the neighborhood. I guess that it is time to get reacquainted.

From the bottle: "The World's First Pale Ale."; "In the British Tradition of [undersigned] Wm. Bass & Co.'s"; "Originally Brewed in 1777 by William Bass Brewers Limited, Burton-on-Trent, England"; "This Fine Pale Ale has been brewed in the Great British tradition using the finest two-row malted barley"; "Iconography [-] As Bass Pale Ale's popularity grew, unscrupulous imitators used to pass off inferior products as Bass by copying the unique red triangle logo. In 1875, concerned for the reputation of their beloved brew, Bass brewers applied for and were granted England's first registered trademark."

Ah, the nostalgia that goes with Pop!ping this cap. In fact, the cap reads, "Pry Off". Piss off, mate! I'll do as I bloody well please and I won't have some wanker giving me directions! That sorted, it was time for a heavy-handed pour, such as we were accustomed to giving such twats as couldn't keep their blowholes shut. This bit of action got me two fingers of foamy, rocky, tan head with good retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity & if I find out who called the coppers on me, there's to be hell to pay! Nose had a tropical fruitiness that is just how I remember it from a lad. Sweet, but with an earthiness borne of English hops. I just broke a cunt's nose with the last bottle, let's see how this one fares. Mouthfeel was medium, but prickly, more carbonated than I remember, although I'm relatively certain that they wouldn't have had it on cask in 1988, or would they? The taste was lightly fruity, but sharpened at the edges by the hops. Speaking of sharpened, the bloke next to me is about to feel the sharpened knife in my hand slipping between his ribs if doesn't give us some room, right?!? Got him sorted, tickety-boo. Now, then, where was I? Oh, yes, the finish. Finish was semi-dry, not really one for sweets, myself. Yeah, it had that fruitiness that I keep coming back to, but the hops held it all in check. Speaking of checks, I've got to pay mine & go! I hear sirens & I feel like I may break out in handcuffs.

4.3/5  rDev +27.6%

A classic beer that doesn't get it's due.

1.83/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75

Bought a 12 pack of this brew , thought it was going to be good because it says it the first ale ever invented. Was I wrong. This beer is awful bitter with strong bad hops. Smells bad as well. Had in glass and bottle no difference just as bad. Definitely would never get this beer again.

1.63/5  rDev -51.6%

This is the stuff brewed in Baldwinsville, NY.

I'm fairly convinced that I somehow managed to buy a skunked/spoiled 12 pack. I don't usually use that excuse, but I'll elaborate below. The outside of the 12 pack, and the long neck labels, have the date "11291" on them, and today is December 7, 2011. If that is the production date they should still be fine, but if that is the expiration date they are months past it.

A: Light golden copper color. Obscenely clear. You could do your taxes while looking through a glass of this stuff. Aquafina is less filtered. A very hard pour resulted in a moderate head of fine bubbles that lasted for about 15 seconds and leaves no lacing. The bubbles racing up the glass are champagne like, as is the head. Not a good sign.

S: Cooked vegetables. Vanilla pudding. Cherries. Lots of alcohol in the nose for a 5% ABV beer.

T: Ugh. Stale tasting. Very reminiscent of Budweiser. Not really much there. Some sweetness, that's about it. Once again too much alcohol taste/feel for 5% ABV. Leaves a slightly bitter and oily coating on the back of your tongue after you swallow.

M: Extremely carbonated. Carbonation is champagne like and burns your tongue as you drink it. Watery.

O: I so seldom buy spoiled beer (it's been years) that it is hard for me to call any beer spoiled. I just don't think this 12 pack of Bass Ale is right. If I ever have it again in the future I'll be sure to re-review it. For now, I have 10 more bottles of this stuff to choke down.

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Clear amber color with disappearing white cap.

Mild scent of sweet malt and floral hops.

Taste on entry is malt and hops in about equal proportions. If forced I would say malt led but it's really a toss up. Malt is slightly rich and hops pleasantly floral, the whole being balanced without being exceptional.

Medium texture with matching carbonation.

It's been so long since I had the original version any direct comparison to this one would be unfair. I do feel comfortable in saying this recent bottling seems a diminished version of the British brewed original. It did go well with popcorn shrimp.

3.16/5  rDev -6.2%

From a bottle at a golf club bar, being the best offering available. I drank it from the bottle because the bartender already seemed peeved that he had to go in the back and look for it and I didn't choose to bother him further by asking for a glass. Much thinner tasting than I remembered with a slight metallic taste and lots of dried fruit flavors. Kind of reminded me of some dry-yeast homebrews that were fermented at too high of a temperature, even for ales. Somewhat wine-like aromas and even some ...corn? Surely they don't put corn in this beer. Bet they add some form of sugar though. I can't believe I used to enjoy this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +42.4%

I finally found this beer at the Wine Cellar Warren Michigan-USA
----it is usually on draft at places like Bennigans- pubs- yes- its nutty-fruity great color -great taste--get tired of all the light beer-with no taste-- this is is very satisfying-need more vendors here-

1.86/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

This was a great beer way back when, after being bought by anheuser busch, and replacing hops with two row malts, this is nothing more than a Budweiser with extra malts and a horrible natti ice aftertaste. Shame on this company for buying out and ruining a beer that has been around since artist like Monet and dictators like Napoleon Bonaparte. Just another casualty in the war of the beers. Seems any good beers will be bought out and watered down if they sell out. I will not even do the beer review in terms of mouthfeel, ect , cause to be honest its not worth it, as it fails all tests..Now I only speak of the usa version by anheuser busch, I remember the uk version being delicious!

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 6/20/2014. Pours slightly hazy deep copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings around the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of herbal/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, light pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Nice robustness and balance of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly metallic mouthfeel that is okay. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5%. Overall this is a very solid English pale ale. All around good balance and robustness of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A pleasantly enjoyable offering.

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: clear amber, modest off white head and lacing.
Smell: light malty caramel with a touch of hops. Not rich or spectacular but a good showing this.
Taste: much like the nose. This was a gateway beer for me and I guess many, a step ahead of the pre boom choices and still not bad at all.

1.78/5  rDev -47.2%

Avoid, if possible, the stuff that's made in Baldwinsville, New York.

This is not the Bass Ale you were looking for. The real stuff is dry. This is annoyingly sweet and not as well attenuated as it ought to be.

The real Bass Ale has a hint of grain astringency that complements the bittering hops in the finish. This is what I was looking forward to. I did not get it out of this. Miller High Life has more grain character than this does.

This is too sweet and needs to ferment longer or harder. What hop there is in the finish is soapy, and not in the good cilantro notes you used to get with Watney's Red Barrel, either.

They may not have the water right yet in Baldwinsville. They might be following the recipe perfectly but for this, but it would make a big difference. Some more sulfate salts in the water would probably improve this.

At least, we still have Guinness Extra.

2.46/5  rDev -27%

Appearance: Medium copper color with one finger of head that fades to a thin cap with a decent curtain of lace.

Aroma: Sweet and grainy with hints of brown sugar and lemon.

Taste: Sweet and fairly thin upfront, then mild bitterness and decent carbonation in the middle leading to a fast, clean and uninspiring finish with a touch of lingering graininess.

The Rest: Hugh letdown. Back in college, Bass was a real treat, and I definitely don't remember tasting this poor. I would have a hard time in a blind taste test telling this apart from Bud. There are countless Pale Ales out there that are better than this.

Additionally, it's not brewed in England anymore. It's contract brewed by AB in their Baldwinsville brewery. The label states that it's brewed in the finest British Tradition. I find it pretty dubious that there's much fine British tradition going on in Syracuse, NY.

3.93/5  rDev +16.6%

Bass Ale- one of the more popular session beers that makes you look like a beer god to all those who drink Coors Light!

Bass pours amber/chestnut brown with a bountiful head!
The smell is a nice bittery caramel.
The taste I can etect hops, floral, and buttery malt! Delicious.
Very smooth goes down all too well.

Bass gets a huge nod from me as an excellent session beer, goes well with food, and even my wife likes it!

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%

I’ve always liked Bass Ale, especially for a mass-produced, widely-distributred beer. Not as good as some of the truly great ales, but a damn good one given the price. When eating or drinking out, where micro and crafts are not available, this is one beer I’ll readily drink; a hell of a step above most American or Import Macros.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours from 12 oz bottle a medium amber-tawny color with respectable layer of foam on the top. The look of a nice English pale or mild.
Scent is muted, offering a malt sweetness and not much more.
Flavor of lightly sweet & somewhat fruity malt with a hint of hops. Finishes heavier on the sweetness without much in the way of hops to balance it out.
Somewhat thin in body, but still fairly in-line for the style, for cask considerations.
Overall a fairly boring English pale. Reportedly much better 10-12 years ago, before the InBev takeover. May try the cask version if ever in the UK for comparison's sake.

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Served in a chilled glass

Appearance - dark clear amber colour, off-white head, min carbonation however very slow in rising to the top, some good lacing.

Smell - malts, caramel and deep earth tones.

Taste - i tasted caramel, fruits of the dark nature, some sour near the end, not too much just enough. Beer was very clean and refreshing.

Mouthfeel - found to be very frothy, rich in mouthfeel, added some bitterness and was able to pick up some faint hops.

Drinkability - to have on tap as a selection i was impressed, overall a good beer with some decent flavour.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited