Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,702 |  Reviews: 1,073
3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

The beer pours a deep clear amber to copper color, lavish frothy beige head and tonnes of lace that clings to the glass. Malts dominate the nose, clean, crisp and quite pleasant. Starts slightly malt sweet, the top is skimpy, the finish is mildly carbonated, sparingly hopped, the aftertaste droughty.

Bass being the first English beer I sampled so many years ago, it pains me to see how it has lost it's robustness, now it's less hop laden, thinner, alas all good things must end, this I know. None the less it's a shame, nay I say a crime, to let the pond scum sucking, money grubbing cretins take over and ruin such a fine brewery, same goes for Guinness, and many other wonderful breweries. Once the "Bottom Line", becomes a breweries only concern, in most cases "Quality" goes out the window. My personal feeling is as follows:

"May they burn in hades with their money as the fuel that feeds Satans furnace".

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours an orange/amber color with a very small, off-white head. Aroma was nutty, grainy from the malts, a bit of dough, and light pine from the hops, maybe some fruit (apple?). Flavor was sweet initially, but finished bitter. Decent session beer.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

The old classic... I say that like I've had it before. My main cheap beer go tos in college have been Miller High Life and PBR, but the other day I was in Bi-Lo and saw this on sale and realized I've never had it before. It's not bad. Certainly better than a lot of the swill my fellow collegiate men and women down.

Decent looking beer, not great, but not atrocious... pours a pretty ruby color that is clear as Caribbean water and shows a lot of carbonation running up into a quarter inch of white foam that unfortunately doesn't last that long. Some moderate, stringy lacing around the glass as I drink.

Smell also isn't great, but I can pick out some pale malts and maybe a little bit of English-style hops. Not too impressive, but not the bottom of the barrel.

Same thing on the tongue really. Light pale malts followed by a slight hop presence. Not too much else to speak of... I know it's sort of comparing apples and oranges, but I'll take an APA like Sierra Nevada any day of the week.

Thin body, but not the obscene amount of over-carbonation as some other mass-produced beers, which is a good thing. Not bad, but not great.

Overall, this beer is better than a lot of mass-produced beers and I've enjoyed drinking my way through this case, but it's not stellar. For a pale ale, I'm going American all the way. Decent, though.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance-Nice copper color.

Smell-Not much. Some hoppy smell but thats it.

Taste-Not bad. Good carbonation.

Drinkability-Years ago I really liked Bass. That was until I began to experiment with many different beers. I still like it but only on occasion. (Like a free one.) Good on a hot day.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pleasant coppery color with a one finger head with some stickiness that leaves a little lacing down the glass. Not much other than barley in the nose, even as it warms.

The taste isn't bad, it is better than most mass-produced beers, but it is rather unremarkable. No nuance of flavor, just kind of "beer-flavored". Carbonation seems about right for this style.

Overall, not a bad beer and not a bad go-to in restaurants with limited selection, but nothing very memorable. Not something I would buy or keep in my fridge.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a clear ruby orange color into my standard US pint glass. Little or no head and no residual lacing is evident. Not an unattractive beer visually.

Smell is faint and not much stands out but I pick up a definite whiff of alcohol which is not as pleasant as it could be.

Taste follows smell and not much going on but the alcohol I detected in the smell is also there in the taste, and not in a good way.

Mouthfeel is average as is drinkability.

Given it's reputation, I was disappointed in this beer. It was ok but there are much better pales out there. I wouldn't go out of my way to try this again.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz glass served in a pint glass.
(review from notes)

pours a clear, medium-amber tone while yielding a finger of off-white head; mediocre retention and not much lacing to speak of.

nose opens with a light maltiness and secondary notes of caramel and a subtle, indistinct fruitiness. not the worst aroma in the world but fairly underehelming.

flavor mostly follows the nose. definitely on the malty / sweet side. a touch of hops, especially in the finish. again, not terrible by any means, just sort of 'meh'. medium-light bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall, a mediocre to slightly above average beer i would accept if handed to me for free but would not pay money for. at least, i wouldn't anymore. used to be a staple back before craft, when i thought bass was the creme de la creme of the beer world. would take it over BMC.

3.09/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.09/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

A: Pours a clear dark gold with small white head; minimal lacing

S: Light smell, nothing particularly striking.

T: Light but prominent malt tones but with a dry finish. Tends to be a touch sweet in the beginning.

M&D: Really about average on both accounts. After a while, the mouthfeel almost feels a tad watery.

I found the unique feature of this brew to be in the taste; there is an interesting sweetness in the malt but the finish tends to be dry. There also seems to be something interesting in the bittering, like there is something more, or perhaps different, than just hops.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Paid $4.40 for a 22oz glass. Tried Bass many a times in my day but not in the past six months to recall its qualities. A bit overrated in my book. Nice mouthfeel for a Pale Ale. Poured an average head and real lacing. Finished it off fine. A bit hoppy but not any more than a typical Pale Ale. Okay at best.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Had this on-tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in College Park, MD.

A: Somewhat clear dark amber which glints red when held up to the light; sort of like Killians. Somewhat thin head which nonetheless leaves lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Faint malts and general sweetness. Not much else.

T: A profusion of sweet maltiness make it very biscuity in taste. Not much else can be discerned. There's a somewhat strange, artificial hop bitterness kicks in at the end.

M: Maltiness causes a creaminess to permeate the mouth. Nice and crisp (somewhat dry) finish.

D: Extremely drinkable as the feel is well-rounded and creamy. Nothing special, but nothing offensive in there either.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

bought this just to review it. I used to consider this premium beer before I knew about craft beer. let's see how that reputation holds out...

A: deep reddish with lots of clarity. Light indeed onthe head, and what was there dissipated very quickly.

S: close to NO aroma here. just a slight hint of quality malt.

T: Nice but not nearly what I was expecting. over-carbonation makes it hard to taste what taste is there. follow up is a bit reminiscent of ginger ale...

M: too much carbonation! medium body at best.

D: pretty drinkable, seems like a lite craft beer to me. I AM DISAPPOINTED.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

First had: on tap, probably at a Chili's somewhere.

A: Reddish brown, no haze, little head.

S: Malts and more malts.

T: Pretty smooth and malty, with no other particularly distinctive flavors.

M: Light-medium body with light carbonation.

D: Easily drinkable, smooth, malty. Overall good beer.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Bass Pale Ale pours a finger of loose foam over a clear
reddish amber brew. Carbonation is low but steady, The
nose is barley malt and something like wine barrel. The
flavor Is crisp, tart malts with a very mild herbal hop. The
mouthfeel is light for an ale, and dry. A nice drinkable Brit

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

This is the first time that I've had Bass in several years. I seem to remember it as being more complex and enjoyable. The beer is very carbonated, slightly bitter, has virtually no sweetness, and no real aftertaste. Pours to form a small white head that quickly dissipates. Inoffensive and common.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: Pours to a clear reddish-amber with an almost non-existent head.

Smell: Smells slightly malty, with some caramel coming through.

Taste: Very simple malt undertones with a moderately bitter finish. Nothing surprising.

Mouthfeel: Very clean, thin beer. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Overall the subdued nature of this beer, combined with the clean mouthfeel, makes it an easy beer to drink although somewhat mundane. Don't think I'd ever crave this.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Served on tap at a hotel bar, this was a pleasant diversion from lagers. Mid amber/light copper and mostly clear with a small head that dissipated quickly. The aroma was of a pungent caramel that was just a bit stale. The taste was of cream and caramel with a general sweetness. Little lacing. Without strong competition one might drink this through an evening and not decry the lagers lost. A sweet, flowery sense throughout. Acceptable if not impressive.

In a US pint glass.

Clear orangey pale amber.

Smell: Faint malty zest. A paler lager-like note. As it warms, stale crackers/bread.

Taste is sweet malt up front. Some appley fruitiness in the middle and it finishes crisp. An apple cider aftertaste. There's a fruit-like taste I can't put my finger on. decent taste.

MF is normal.

Pretty drinkable, because it's mellow, but I'm not crazy about it. My first English pale ale and I'm not really impressed. American pales I've had were much better. However, this bottle got hot in my car for a few hours, and that could have messed it up, I will rerate it if I have a better experience next time.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

A. Light orange to amber appearance. White head that is rather light in body. Laces decently.

S. Pale malt with a spicy backbone of cinnamon and nutmeg. Nice if rather pedestrian.

T. Starts out with bready malt flavors and some hoppiness. Finishes with a funky aftertaste.

M. Almost watery in body with mild carbonation.

D. Yeah, I could drink a few of these without hesitation especially if no other craft options existed. Not something I would go out of my way to drink but, in a pinch, this beer works fine.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited