Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,723 |  Reviews: 1,081
3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Many times I've had this one, first review.

Pale, light golden pour with a 1 1/2 finger foamed up head. Some lacing, a bit thin looking.

Malt and biscuit in the nose, light. Some earth and leafiness. Hint of pear

Pear-ness comes through a bit more in the taste, but still faint. Doughy and semi-sweet. Malt is light with some hints of herb. Some minerals at the end.

A good back up beer for me.

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Pours a dark golden color, some carbonation, tiny head, not much lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts and slight hops, caramel.

T - The taste is sweet and malty, slight hint of caramel.

M - Light-Medium body.

D - Drinkable. I guess English Pale Ales do not have as much hops as an APA, I believe this is my first EPA. Not a bad brew, but will most likely not buy again.

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Nice foamy off-white/beige head with tiny bubbles that recedes quickly, but leaves a sticky lace down the glass.

Medium deep amber that tends towards orange/brown. Herbal, malty, both slightly metallic and sour grain smell.Medium-light to medium body with medium carbonation. Very balanced and smooth taste. Neither hops nor malt or any other flavor sticks out. The malts are a little light. Hop bitternes is low and does not stick around in the after-taste for very long. Slightly dry finish. Quite drinkable, but not very exciting.

Brown bottle, 1 imperial pint, 568 ml
Brewed by Bass Brewers Limited, Burton-on-trent, England

3.13/5  rDev -6.3%

Bass is bass. I actually like this beer when I am in certain moods. Or if a pub or bar happens to have the Guinness on tap as well as the bass, then I can go for a Black and tan. For English beers there is better, but this is just my opinion. I do think Bass tastes better on tap then in the bottle, some stores tend to keep bass on the shelves too long and gets a bit funky to my taste.

3.12/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on draft a couple times while at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg in the Irish pub there. Each time it was served in a pint glass and was a very nice looking pint. Creamy head, very clear, copper colored, and what surprised me was it left great lacing in the glass, something I'm not used to with Bass.

Aroma was pretty bland. Maybe a hint of caramel. No real hop aroma coming off this.

Taste was better and more balanced. Some caramel sweetness -- just a bit -- and some bitterness for balance. Maybe a hint of earthy malt flavors, but not a lot. Solid, drinkable beer.

3.12/5  rDev -6.6%

A clear, crisp, yellow beer with nearly no head.

An apple aroma sided with a pear scent and a floral background.

The tastes are pretty faint with a pine and citrus combination.

Pretty light with medium carbonation.

Not too heavy, quite easy to drink but not a lot of flavor and it is not incredibly delicious.

3.12/5  rDev -6.6%

Ingredients: Malts, Hopps, sugars, flavorings.
Alcohol: 5.1%
Rich orange color. Fine head. A beer lacking flavor or character. Perhaps it is because this beer is stored at room tempurature, its flavor profile was weakend. Where is the bitterness or hoppiness characteristic in a pale ale, I do not know.

Drank Jan. 02, 2003
Exp. Sept. 2003

Review edit: Aug. 29 2003
Although I do not know what the hell anyone is doing putting sugar and flavorings in a Pale Ale for, this beer has a mild attractive malt flavor. My previous rating put it 2.8, would put this beer at "belw average" but compared to all the other crap at the "hip bars", this is the best you can get, and so clearly is not below average.

With AB crap taking such a large share of worldwide production volume, Bud would have to be average (and thus get straight threes), in this context Bass Pale Ale would be a 4.

3.11/5  rDev -6.9%

The color is a mix between gold and orange. Darker, but not dark. Not a proper color by any means. Pours clear and a nice head. Smell is good. Rather rich. And of course there is the taste. Not all of that. Not watered down by any means, just not what I want in a beer. Has a bitter touch to it and I do not like bitter though I know some really really like bitter. A bit of an after taste, but not a real bite. I could not drink this much. Verdict: try something else.

3.11/5  rDev -6.9%

Hmm....It's been a long time since I've had Bass and there seems to have been a steep drop off in quality since my last taste. It pours a medium orange-amber with a dense off-white head....but it's all downhill from there. The smell is scant...with some barely perceptible light caramel. There's some good caramel flavor with a bit of tea like hops for balance but it's too thin for a pale ale. This is just one step above a domestic macro.

Poured bottle into mug.

Appearance: Brown with a minor red hue to it. Decent head that lasts a little while with some good lacing.

Smell: I was expecting more from the smell than what I got. There was a somewhat hoppy smell, but not much.

Taste: Has a bit of a sweet start and a good, solid bitter kick at the end.

Mouthfeel: It has a little substance to it without being thick or anything. It felt like an average beer that one might get at 7-11.

Drinkability: It was pretty good and it's certainly something I wouldn't mind drinking again. With that said, however, I was not overly impressed.

3.11/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pub glass. It has probably been 8 years since I last had this. The brew appears copper in color with finger of tan froth. It produces some patchy lacing effect as it slides down the edges.

The smell of this brew has the faintest indication of herbal hop elements mixed with a bit of mineral content. There is an overall grainy sweetness to this brew that lingers in the nose with a touch of sulfur.

The taste includes some toasty grain character
mixed with some alcohol fusels that produces a mild fruity hint. Some minerals are present mixed with caramel graininess and a touch of hebal hop flavoring wothout much bitterness.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light level of carbonation. It is sweet overall with some odd characteristics thrown into the mix to break things up. Without thinking too much about this, I wonder if the establishment serving me this only keeps this brew on hand to serve black and tans...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.11/5  rDev -6.9%

A classic... example of what happens when a good beer changes its formula to appeal to the masses.

I remember Bass being a flavorful, and nicely hopped beer... a good English Pale Ale. But much of it's hop character and body are now gone... still a beautiful clear copper with a trail of lace down the glass... some caramel and toasted malt in the nose and flavor... but the hops struggle to get any attention.

Based on what this beer used to be, it's now truely disappointing.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

ok beer. not really all that impressed. bored after 2 or 3. drinkability is ok. but like i said kinda boring. just an average pale ale. not impressed with the smell, although ok with the mouthfeel. had it in a bottle. feel this brew may be better on draft at my local pub.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Golden, red, with a thin layer of foam.

The taste is pleasant enough, with a caramel overtones, but no real kick, since the hops goes by unnoticed.

A bit of a watery feel, as well.

Not a bad beer, but a bit of a disappointment overall. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

The beer pours a deep clear amber to copper color, lavish frothy beige head and tonnes of lace that clings to the glass. Malts dominate the nose, clean, crisp and quite pleasant. Starts slightly malt sweet, the top is skimpy, the finish is mildly carbonated, sparingly hopped, the aftertaste droughty.

Bass being the first English beer I sampled so many years ago, it pains me to see how it has lost it's robustness, now it's less hop laden, thinner, alas all good things must end, this I know. None the less it's a shame, nay I say a crime, to let the pond scum sucking, money grubbing cretins take over and ruin such a fine brewery, same goes for Guinness, and many other wonderful breweries. Once the "Bottom Line", becomes a breweries only concern, in most cases "Quality" goes out the window. My personal feeling is as follows:

"May they burn in hades with their money as the fuel that feeds Satans furnace".

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

12 oz. bottle. Pours an orange/amber color with a very small, off-white head. Aroma was nutty, grainy from the malts, a bit of dough, and light pine from the hops, maybe some fruit (apple?). Flavor was sweet initially, but finished bitter. Decent session beer.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

The old classic... I say that like I've had it before. My main cheap beer go tos in college have been Miller High Life and PBR, but the other day I was in Bi-Lo and saw this on sale and realized I've never had it before. It's not bad. Certainly better than a lot of the swill my fellow collegiate men and women down.

Decent looking beer, not great, but not atrocious... pours a pretty ruby color that is clear as Caribbean water and shows a lot of carbonation running up into a quarter inch of white foam that unfortunately doesn't last that long. Some moderate, stringy lacing around the glass as I drink.

Smell also isn't great, but I can pick out some pale malts and maybe a little bit of English-style hops. Not too impressive, but not the bottom of the barrel.

Same thing on the tongue really. Light pale malts followed by a slight hop presence. Not too much else to speak of... I know it's sort of comparing apples and oranges, but I'll take an APA like Sierra Nevada any day of the week.

Thin body, but not the obscene amount of over-carbonation as some other mass-produced beers, which is a good thing. Not bad, but not great.

Overall, this beer is better than a lot of mass-produced beers and I've enjoyed drinking my way through this case, but it's not stellar. For a pale ale, I'm going American all the way. Decent, though.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance-Nice copper color.

Smell-Not much. Some hoppy smell but thats it.

Taste-Not bad. Good carbonation.

Mouthfeel-OK

Drinkability-Years ago I really liked Bass. That was until I began to experiment with many different beers. I still like it but only on occasion. (Like a free one.) Good on a hot day.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited