Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

Liked:
3.34/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,666 |  Reviews: 1,065

I thought this beer was all about the water at bruten on trent and the old fermenters???? what the hell happened? I know alot of contract brews are out there, but when I pay for a world class brew, I'd like to have just that; not a fake! I use to be able to get Fuller's and Belhaven, I guess thouse days are gone and now Sam Adams is making "light " beer; Good God what is the world coming to???

Poured into a tumbler on 03.28.14.

A: See through light copper. No head or lacing with an aggressive pour. Can see bubbles rising from the bottom.

S: Flower, grape, cherry. It has a candy-like artificial smell to it.

T: Burnt malt, chemicals. Slightly grape. Bitter plastic.

O: This was an unbalanced mess. The chemical candy flavor could have at least been balanced with the burnt malt, but it was not. The aroma was terrible and it continued to be terrible on the first sip. Drain pour. It had a flimsy bottle typical of AB-InBev. Oh gee, look who owns Bass Brewery!

Rating: F

Warning this is faux US version of this beer brewed by A&B Inbev ( brewed in Baldwinsville, New York.) Not going to waste much review time on this imposter pint . Any reference to Bass&co of England or the red triangle really should be removed be removed out respect of the original bass & co product. A&B INBEV please have clearly marked packaging stating made of puddle water in the USA, instead of the double dutch labeling This is NOT the Bass you remember or liked. head disappears quite quick no lacing , weak colour ,no body , none of the nice Burton Trent favors , and the body one would expect of this once fine pint ,no midlands malt ,British hops ? probably not . Michael Jackson is turning in his grave!!!!!!! not the pop star FYI . It's just another watered down American beer from A&B inbev . LIFE is quite short Don't waste the effort it takes to lift this pint . if good beers keep getting corrupted by big beer in the name of profit ill stay home and brew my own !!!!!!!!.my bass ale clone malt extract easy recipe. coming soon to this site soon ." when pints get corrupted home brew its the only way to go" ." HOMEBREWED BASS EXTRACT RECIPE SHORT .2 CANS OF MUNTONS OLD ALE MALT EXTRACT...3 OR 4 LBS OF MUNTONS LIGHT DME 1.20 OZ CHALLENGER UK HOP FOR BOIL 0.75 0Z FUGGLES UK HOP O.75 EAST KENT GOLDING UK HOP. BURTON WATER SALTS FOLLOW PACKET INSTRUCTIONS 2 PACKETS OF MUNTONS ALE YEAST. 60 MINS BOIL TIME.. batch prime with with 3/4 cup brewers surgar or 1 cup light dme FERMENT TIME 7 TO 14 DAYS .BOTTLE to PINT GLASS 7 TO 24 DAYS LONGER TIME THAN 7 DAYS FERMENTATION WILL PRODUCE A BETTER PINT ..LONGER TIME IN BOTTLE BOTTLE WILL PRODUCE A BETTER PINT". cheers enjoy

1.28/5  rDev -61.7%

Crystal clear amber brew forms a rocky white head sitting on top medium-sized bubbles. Head quickly thins, but forms a meringue peak which lingers until 1/4 way through the glass. Moderately-high carbonation, forming spirals of bubbles at a hypnotic rate. Aroma is of canned philadelphia mushrooms, toffee, almonds, sweet dog food, and margarine in that order. (Honestly!) What a perplexing smell. Flavor is of sweet malt with no apparent graininess, which fades to a strong metallic tinge, and ends in fizzy dirty dishwater that had caramel candies sitting in it. The fusel alcohols become more dominate in the start of the beer with progressive sips and really becomes unbearable by the end. This beer is intriguing for a few seconds, and looks pretty, but is absolutely horrible. Just a few sips gave me a nasty temporal headache, and I poured 1/2 of it down the sink. I never want to drink this beer again.

1.34/5  rDev -59.9%

I am revisiting this. My first review was very negative. Poured from a glass bottle into a shaker pint glass. Amber(ish) in color with a two finger head that somewhat quickly fades. Some lacing left clinging. Faint aroma that to be honest I can't put my finger on it? Slightly rotten fruit maybe. The taste was the biggest drawback. It did not taste at all like I remember. Looked at the label and sure enough it said brewed in New York. I have nothing against beer brewed in the US but some things just should not be tampered with. The mouthfeel was somewhat watery and not at all enjoyable. My over all opinion is this is a bad beer. Sorry Budweiser but you screwed this up big time. I won't be buying this again.

1.45/5  rDev -56.6%

never again! This poured a clear amber color with a good rocky cratery head that sticks around for a little white. Decent lacing. Aroma is sweet like candy. Taste is where this goes bad. Is is metallic sweet malt weirdness. No good beer flavors in here. It is a EPA with no flavor, just harsh ass. I mean you can tell what it is, it just sucks. I wouldn't mind tasting what this used to taste like. Had it on tap once and it wasn't this bad. This tastes dirty and by the end of the glass you wish you might need water to clense your ass oiled palate. It does look pretty though!

revisited 2 days later...
WTF? Tastes worse this time.I can't believe this is bass. Because it tastes like pure ass.

1.46/5  rDev -56.3%

Bass Ale, was for the longest time, my "Go To" beer especially with ALL the beer choices these days, Bass was fine by me. Until, just about 3 weeks ago I noticed 'something' different about the smell AND the taste. It was DIFFERENT, but NOT in a good way. Then for the 1st time in a long time, I noticed on the label...Made in the USA!...Not Burton-On-Trent. I was Very Disappointed...as in VERY. Sorry, but unless I can get the UK version...I'm done with Bass. the USA version simply isn't Bass Ale....

1.47/5  rDev -56%

I don't know if my tastes have changed, if I got a bad batch, or if Bass has gone way downhill, but this particular example was horrible. Actually, my tastes have changed quite a bit, but I wouldn't have liked this even back before I discovered the wonderful wide world of quality brew...

Poured directly from a 25 oz. can into a large wine goblet. Not much carbonation, average head, nice amber color which happens to be the high point of this beer.

Taste was best at the beginning, but throughout there was a huge presence of fruit past its prime, old bread, and near the end, total macroswill flavors dominated with an awful background of metal... I was tempted to just toss it out midway through but I hate wasting any sort of beer so I chugged the last 3rd, grimaced, and vowed never to have this beer again.

From my best memories, this beer was decent on tap and as part of a black and tan, but in this tasting, YECH.

I think something has happened to this brewery to be honest. Have seen posts in the forums before discussing the downward spiral...

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

Reviewing the US "version" of this beer. Not going to waste much on this. Any reference to Bass or the red triangle need to be removed. This is NOT the Bass you remember or like. It's just another generic American beer. Don't bother.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited