Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,046 | Ratings: 2,593
3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

Decent head, orangish body, a little bit of hops, a little bit of malt, a easy drinking beer, nothing out of the ordinary, yet a solid beer, a good session beer. I think it is also good as a standby at you local not so good bar.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

very clear deep amber, little head, good side cling. mildly malty nose. mouthfeel complex, seems light on the tongue but has a full body taste. taste is malty but not too sweet, it is crisp but malty. good balance.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Amber in color with short-lived head. The aroma malt, and some grainy sweetness. The flavor was malt, with a slight hop presence that was not evident in the flavor. Not an outstanding beer, but as others have pointed out, consistent and available at most bars.

Getting home late last night to frozen pizza, I had to run to store 2-4 for beer. There it was, Bass. Bass never fails me. The taste is still satisifing, not ovepowering. I do not find it bitter at all.The first glass always goes down smooth. I usually buy two large singles, which go great with any meal. The narrow neck intrigues me. It harkens me back to my nautical expierences. I could live on Bass.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

Consistent indeed - with nearly 100 reviews, all the qualities of this excellent pale ale have been pointed out already. Great on tap, great bottled. Forget that Bass is now owned by Big Bad Interbrew, and just enjoy it!

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Consistent. This is a widely produced pale ale that still manages to satisfy me. It isn't pushing the envelope, but it is still solid. The color is great (reddish amber) as well as the smell (sweet - fruity?). The smell and taste but are evidence of a good blend of flavors (hops malt - neither is obvious). This is surely drinkable and for a beer that is found in most bars, it is pretty strong - a good fall back beer.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

Nice foamy off-white/beige head with tiny bubbles that recedes quickly, but leaves a sticky lace down the glass.

Medium deep amber that tends towards orange/brown. Herbal, malty, both slightly metallic and sour grain smell.Medium-light to medium body with medium carbonation. Very balanced and smooth taste. Neither hops nor malt or any other flavor sticks out. The malts are a little light. Hop bitternes is low and does not stick around in the after-taste for very long. Slightly dry finish. Quite drinkable, but not very exciting.

Brown bottle, 1 imperial pint, 568 ml
Brewed by Bass Brewers Limited, Burton-on-trent, England

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Bright, even amber tones topped with average head that persisted but didn't overwhelm. Surprisingly fragrant (rather light and a bit fruity) for as even and tame as it tastes. Taste is smooth and relatively uniform throughout, which goes hand in hand with its nice mouthfeel and drinkability. This beer doesn't extend itself, but what it does, it does well.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A very nice amber/gold/tan hue. A frothy, but unimposing non-lingering head, drains away faster than it should. Nice aroma, light coffee/cocoa/nut scent. A nice taste as far as Pale Ales go, not too distinctive one way or the other. Goes down well enough to have a second, but make a trip to the Titanic to recover some old Bass? No.

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%

This beer appears brownish red with gold highlights, like an overworked hairdo. There is a diverse head that quickly recedes leaving a few strands of lace. It smells like a jar of pennies. At this point I consider moving on to the next beer, but I stick with it. The taste is a bit of a suprise after the nose: good, full, dry beginning finishes somewhat quick (4 seconds) yet balanced. A dusty burned sugar flavor weaves throughout, offset by mild bittering hops. Simple, good.

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

This is one of those dinner beers. I really wasn't impressed with it enough to want to have more than one or two. With that said, I did like the beer. It pours darkish amber with a small head that disappeared... no lace. The taste is hops up front, malt in the middle, and dryness at the end. The dryness is what makes this a good beer to pair with red meat. The nose was very mild with sweetness but mostly hops. It does pack enough of a "taste punch" for any BA to like. I’d drink it again, at dinner.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Easy drinking English pale ale. Crisp yet slightly sweet. Nothing too earthshattering here. This is a good beer to have with a steak. It is not a beer I would take home, though. It is good and dependable, but I can't imagine myself serving this beer to guests at a party (unless we are having a steak dinner) or wanting to unwind with one after a hard day's work. There are better tasting and/or cheaper beers to have for the home.

Update 2015: Almost 13 years later, I'm reviewing Bass Ale again. this time it is from a recently produced bottle made in the USA--William Bass & Co's Baldwinsville, NY to be exact. WTF? Anyway,it still has much of the iconic mineral bite of the English import. You have to appreciate modern brewing methods. Good job.

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

Okay, I have had this beer on several occasions in the past, but finally had it again for a night out to dinner. It poured a dark amber color with a small white head that faded quickly with no lace. It had a slight aroma of malt and hops. The flavor was of malt and hops and slightly sweet, but tough to figure out what. The finish was dry and slightly bitter. An alright beer, but not my first choice.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

While I like Bass, it is a bit too sweet for my liking. It is like a dessert beer to me. Nice Ale but not my first pick when at a bar. I like to call this the "Yuppies Ale". Nice brown color but has a bit of an aftertaste.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a caramel color with a 1 1/2 finger with head that dissipates fairly quickly. The smell is that of a slight burnt malty sweetness. Right off the bat, the creamy mouthfeel hits you first. The taste contains a freshly cut hay flavor with shellack<--sp?) that just doesn't seem to grow on me. It's not terrible and in fact if the flavor went with the creamy mouthfeel, it could be much better. Cheers.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

This Bass was much better than I remember of my other outings with it, I guess when draught it is significantly better. Amber colour with a fairly creamy head. The scent was based in earthy tones and a pretty hoppy. I suppose the Nobles are at it again. The brew has a meduim body with a pretty smooth feel about it. It drank pretty good. Nothing striking, but good. I suggest that nobody should turn their nose at a tapped Bass.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Beautiful golden copper color with a full white head that fades fairly quickly, decent lace, moderate carbonation.

Aroma: Consists of hops and sweet malts. The hops are rather metallic, and there is an abundance of caramel malt.

Taste: Yields slightly sweet malt, then rather strong hops, rather earthy hops, which linger on well past the end of the taste. Finishes dry and with a slight sting of carbonation.

Mouth feel: I thought the mouthfeel was a bit odd, may be the result of the hard water used in brewing.

Drinkability/notes: A quite competent pale ale, less than superb, but certainly very drinkable.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass Euro-style long neck bottle, served in a standard pint tap glass.

1.63/5  rDev -52.1%

Bass should just drop the "B" and then the name would describe the beer perfectly. upon pouring this beer, it looks ok. the smell is not terrible, but you are somewhat forewarned of the awful experience you are about to have. this is one of the worst beers i have ever had.

the beer itself is not terrible, but there is just a horrible aftertaste. it is however, much better out of the 220z bottle.

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I broke out some tasting notes from my trips to London and will post the reviews of those beers spaced over the next few days or so. Bass from the cask is where it's at! The bottled version we get here pales in comparison. Nice inviting copper color with nice head. My British pint glass was sheeted with lace. Cask conditioned smoothess, and drinkability are it's trademarks. Man I miss London!

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Bass itself while quite palatable on its own, is best consumed in unison w/ Guinness. Pours a brownish-orange color. Slight cirtus hop nose. On the palate light citrus hop, and caramel tones also. Very refreshing, I really like Bass a good fall back beer.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

I've had this beer before and I can't figure out why I haven't rated it. Anyway, in the past (in the bottles) it's been pretty bland. Not really malty enough to be a good pale ale like Samuel Smiths' and not enough good hop character to be a good IPA. This time I had it on tap and I could have sworn I caught some mild but definite estery flavors going on. It was much better this time around.

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

When in an establishment with only the obvious choices of mass produced beer, this is always my old stand by. Not one of the best brews in the world but certainly a very good beer. It goes down very easy and can be had with any type food....my personal fav for kegs and eggs. So if you are in a restaurant and don't have many choices and they have Bass then by all means go for it....................CHEERS

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Classic pale. Must give it some credit.
Pours a solid amber. thinnish head, retains for a little while.

Floral, and faintly spicy hop nose. Not much else.

Nice british taste profile. A step away from the cascade dominated APA scene. Hops are flowery and leafy. Some metallic flavor too (probably from the water and the hops). Malt is pushed to the background. If it was amped up, I think I would turn to this more often.

No real problems in the mouth...but too light for my preferance.
Easy drinking though

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

First time I've had this on it's own for years - usually it's part of a B&T. Still a good taste, hoppy & bitter, but not to the level that I've come to require in a pale ale. Hops, more hops!

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Picked up a 6 pack on sale for $4.99. I don't know that I would be whatever the full price is, but it was just about right at the price. It's a pretty good easy drinker ... although not easy enough for my neighbor who didn't seem to take to it. I found everything to be sort of muted in this brew compared to the finer versions. The hops were mellow, the citrus notes were pretty easy-going. The head topping the dark gold brew had a lot of staying power providing nice lace all the way down the glass. The finish was pretty dry but with a bit of a lemon-y zing.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited