Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

Ratings: 2,660 |  Reviews: 1,065

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

2.66/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

What happened to my Bass?

No trace of Burton-on-Trent on or inside the bottle.

Nice amber color. 1/2 inch head, not much retention, left a little thin lacing.

Not much smell. Faint apple, banana?

Tastes like water, malt, cider, bread dough. Not enough hops. Winey aftertaste.

Too thin.

Too bad. I used to like Bass.

Edit 3/13/2013
I usually just don't bother to review beers I don't like, but I used to love Bass (in bottles, all over the world) and wanted to give it one more try. No matter where I went, Bass was always Bass. Sadly, it's not anymore. I don't know what this crap is in these brown bottles with this famous red triangle trademark on it these days, but it's not Bass. I was a Bass drinker. I KNOW what Bass tastes like and this isn't it. One of the classics has disappeared and it pisses me off. The only resemblance to real Bass is the label on the bottle. Belongs in the bargain bin.

1.63/5  rDev -52.1%

This is the stuff brewed in Baldwinsville, NY.

I'm fairly convinced that I somehow managed to buy a skunked/spoiled 12 pack. I don't usually use that excuse, but I'll elaborate below. The outside of the 12 pack, and the long neck labels, have the date "11291" on them, and today is December 7, 2011. If that is the production date they should still be fine, but if that is the expiration date they are months past it.

A: Light golden copper color. Obscenely clear. You could do your taxes while looking through a glass of this stuff. Aquafina is less filtered. A very hard pour resulted in a moderate head of fine bubbles that lasted for about 15 seconds and leaves no lacing. The bubbles racing up the glass are champagne like, as is the head. Not a good sign.

S: Cooked vegetables. Vanilla pudding. Cherries. Lots of alcohol in the nose for a 5% ABV beer.

T: Ugh. Stale tasting. Very reminiscent of Budweiser. Not really much there. Some sweetness, that's about it. Once again too much alcohol taste/feel for 5% ABV. Leaves a slightly bitter and oily coating on the back of your tongue after you swallow.

M: Extremely carbonated. Carbonation is champagne like and burns your tongue as you drink it. Watery.

O: I so seldom buy spoiled beer (it's been years) that it is hard for me to call any beer spoiled. I just don't think this 12 pack of Bass Ale is right. If I ever have it again in the future I'll be sure to re-review it. For now, I have 10 more bottles of this stuff to choke down.

4.54/5  rDev +33.5%

Pretty good Pale Ale. This beer looks very refreshing. It has lots of fruity notes in the smell just not what I was hoping for kinda of musty not sure if they mean for it to be that way but doesn't throw it off any! It is a great tasting beer leaving lots of sweet fruit notes as the finish, light mouthfeel almost not noticeable overall a good beer drink up!

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%