Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

3.4

Reviews: 1,052 | Ratings: 2,615

Warning this is faux US version of this beer brewed by A&B Inbev ( brewed in Baldwinsville, New York.) Not going to waste much review time on this imposter pint . Any reference to Bass&co of England or the red triangle really should be removed be removed out respect of the original bass & co product. A&B INBEV please have clearly marked packaging stating made of puddle water in the USA, instead of the double dutch labeling This is NOT the Bass you remember or liked. head disappears quite quick no lacing , weak colour ,no body , none of the nice Burton Trent favors , and the body one would expect of this once fine pint ,no midlands malt ,British hops ? probably not . Michael Jackson is turning in his grave!!!!!!! not the pop star FYI . It's just another watered down American beer from A&B inbev . LIFE is quite short Don't waste the effort it takes to lift this pint . if good beers keep getting corrupted by big beer in the name of profit ill stay home and brew my own !!!!!!!!.my bass ale clone malt extract easy recipe. coming soon to this site soon ." when pints get corrupted home brew its the only way to go" ." HOMEBREWED BASS EXTRACT RECIPE SHORT .2 CANS OF MUNTONS OLD ALE MALT EXTRACT...3 OR 4 LBS OF MUNTONS LIGHT DME 1.20 OZ CHALLENGER UK HOP FOR BOIL 0.75 0Z FUGGLES UK HOP O.75 EAST KENT GOLDING UK HOP. BURTON WATER SALTS FOLLOW PACKET INSTRUCTIONS 2 PACKETS OF MUNTONS ALE YEAST. 60 MINS BOIL TIME.. batch prime with with 3/4 cup brewers surgar or 1 cup light dme FERMENT TIME 7 TO 14 DAYS .BOTTLE to PINT GLASS 7 TO 24 DAYS LONGER TIME THAN 7 DAYS FERMENTATION WILL PRODUCE A BETTER PINT ..LONGER TIME IN BOTTLE BOTTLE WILL PRODUCE A BETTER PINT". cheers enjoy

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Here is a bottle that I CANnot believe that I have never reviewed before now! There was a bar down the street from my uncle's apartment in the Noe Valley area of S. F. in 1988 - '89 that always had this on-tap and I used to frequent them when in the neighborhood. I guess that it is time to get reacquainted.

From the bottle: "The World's First Pale Ale."; "In the British Tradition of [undersigned] Wm. Bass & Co.'s"; "Originally Brewed in 1777 by William Bass Brewers Limited, Burton-on-Trent, England"; "This Fine Pale Ale has been brewed in the Great British tradition using the finest two-row malted barley"; "Iconography [-] As Bass Pale Ale's popularity grew, unscrupulous imitators used to pass off inferior products as Bass by copying the unique red triangle logo. In 1875, concerned for the reputation of their beloved brew, Bass brewers applied for and were granted England's first registered trademark."

Ah, the nostalgia that goes with Pop!ping this cap. In fact, the cap reads, "Pry Off". Piss off, mate! I'll do as I bloody well please and I won't have some wanker giving me directions! That sorted, it was time for a heavy-handed pour, such as we were accustomed to giving such twats as couldn't keep their blowholes shut. This bit of action got me two fingers of foamy, rocky, tan head with good retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity & if I find out who called the coppers on me, there's to be hell to pay! Nose had a tropical fruitiness that is just how I remember it from a lad. Sweet, but with an earthiness borne of English hops. I just broke a cunt's nose with the last bottle, let's see how this one fares. Mouthfeel was medium, but prickly, more carbonated than I remember, although I'm relatively certain that they wouldn't have had it on cask in 1988, or would they? The taste was lightly fruity, but sharpened at the edges by the hops. Speaking of sharpened, the bloke next to me is about to feel the sharpened knife in my hand slipping between his ribs if doesn't give us some room, right?!? Got him sorted, tickety-boo. Now, then, where was I? Oh, yes, the finish. Finish was semi-dry, not really one for sweets, myself. Yeah, it had that fruitiness that I keep coming back to, but the hops held it all in check. Speaking of checks, I've got to pay mine & go! I hear sirens & I feel like I may break out in handcuffs.

4.37/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Purchased in Japan and poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Look: Pouring into the glass shows a transparent deep brown amber liquid with a slight reddish tint. A thin white head composed of fine bubbles is about a half a centimeter deep and immediately thins out to a thin film. Flecks of lacing adorn the rim of the glass.

Smell: Uniquely buttery and malty, the smell here is deep and rich. A hint of autumn, decomposing leaves, and some subtle smokiness can be found at play. Overall quite savory.

Taste: Buttery and roasty pop up first with a solid malt sweet presence. The taste does a quick 180 in the aftertaste though with a sharp caramelized bitterness. Earthy tones are strong here with fresh soil, autumn leaves, and a slight hint of ancient gum popping up.

Feel: Thin mouthfeel with mild bitterness. The flavor lingers but the burnt bitterness keeps you going back for another swig. The carbonation is subtle but keeps things easy drinking.

Overall: Complex with some very unique smells and flavors. Quite a contrast between the initial taste and the aftertaste keeps things interesting. Low ABV makes it a good candidate for sessioning, and the taste is mild enough to allow it.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Look: Pours a dark copper color with a fluffy white head that fades to a dense and persistent film. Body is translucent. Lookin' good!

Smell: toffee and caramel with slight floral/citrus English hops. Not super intense, but whats there is pretty alright. This beer was bottled in February, it is currently October.

Taste: Toffee and caramel again with a fair amount of hop bitterness. I'm getting some candied green apple too. I don't remember Bass being this good. Maybe I like it better after it sits in the basement for 6+ months?

Feel: Hop prickliness is a surprisingly good compliment to the rich flavors here. It gets a little syurpy on the finish, but it's pretty minor.

Overall: Congrats Bass, if I'm at a bar that doesn't have craft, I'm drinking you.

Bass Pale Ale Brewed by Bass Brewers Limited , with an ABV of 5.10% This brew pours out a nice light brown color with a small white head. I like the look of this brew. The smell of Bass Pale Ale sweet with rich malts and grains. You also pick up a hit of hops in the smell of this brew. The taste is bold but mildly smooth. You pick up on grains,malts and hops, in the taste of this brew. There is a lot going on in this brew, it has a nice balance to it. Nothing overpowering about Bass Pale Ale. The mouthfeel of this brew starts out bold with flavor and ends with a nice rich smoothness. Overall I'm giving Bass Pale Ale a solid 4 out 5. I would buy this brew again. Bass Brewers Limited did a nice job with this one.

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

It is a clear, reddish copper with a substantial off white head. Falls off pretty quick.

Smells pretty malty. Slight sourness and hops, and fairly sweet.

Tastes like semi sour fruits. Apple/grape. Lots of bready grain. Noticeable hop bitterness. Sort of floral. Slightly creamy texture, but very crisp, especially in the finish.

This had a lot of ESB qualities. Seemsime there is some overlap between the two. Not sure why the ratings are so poor. It is an enjoyable beer, and seems to be an acurate representation of the style.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A go-to favorite when I want, to borrow a phrase from another BA user, "just a beer and not a religious experience." I like the subtle amount of hoppiness and the overall flavor, and it's widely available.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Nice mild pale ale. Pours little to no head, a light amber color. Smells kinda hoppy like an IPA. Mild but tasty initial flavor with very light hoppy finish. I would definitely buy more.

4.21/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

"The Original", so I'm told by the bottle.

Concert going on outside, I can hear the echoes of classic rock bouncing around. It's a calm night. Still a bit damp, a bit hazy in the air yet, but still a nice night for a back porch beer.

Appearance : A blushing mango glow, a body opaque enough where words cannot be read through it, and a 1 finger head that unfortunately dissipates to a spongy ring floating on the top. No lace left behind.

Aroma : So far, so good. It smells delicious, not over hopped in the nose - actually more like a rich Pilsner lager. Lots of barley malt, some baked bread, and the faintest of hop to balance out the smell.

Taste : Home run. I love how balanced this is. Pale malts, lightly roasted; orange rind, baked bread, but it all comes together to form a solid profile. Slight yeast in the aftertaste. It just reminds me of the white powder on the top of a freshly baked loaf of bread.

Feel : It's light bodied enough to be refreshing but doesn't lack depth. It ends slightly semi-dry.

Overall : This is going to become a staple in my fridge. With how incredibly refreshing this beer is, yet it retains a flavor, and is still considered a "pale ale"? I think I found a new favorite for this category (well, close to 12 man).

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Super quick review. Nice malt character, subtle but pleasant hop touch, great carb. One of the only brews out there that I truly prefer to drink straight from the bottle. Not anywhere close to being a flagship example of the style but damn, very quaffable.

2.62/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Look: to dark to be called a Pale Ale. Thin head dissipates quickly.
Smell: Fruity with dominant alcohol overtone.
Taste: Best way to describe it is "beer flavored carbonated water".
Feel: Very unsatisfying, and left an unpleasant lingering aftertaste.

3.24/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

a darker appearance for a pale ale- medium amber

smells sweet, fruity. slightly alcoholic

the taste is the worst attribute. watery and bland. empty ale

mouthfeel is carbonated and not impressionable.

meh

Says it's brewed in Baldwinsville, NY now, but it is supposedly still brewed with the same ingredients in the same way. I would probably tend to trust that claim as you can taste the "hardness" of the water in the flavor profile. Nothing particularly wrong with it, just not something I'll look for from now on.

4.08/5  rDev +20%

I think I remembered this differently or my tastes have changed, but I think several years ago this tasted more dynamic than the 6 pack I just finished from Merrimack, NH. Haven't had it in so long I thought I'd try it out rather than all the crafts I've been drinking. I do understand where the 76 okay score stands with this one as it was just that.

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Into an English pint glass, pours copper with foamy off-white head with medium retention. Smells and tastes bready, sweet, and a little too estery (reminds me of certain pale or amber lagers well past their expiration dates, or even a Märzen that is overly sweet). Little hops detected beyond the faint bitterness of the aftertaste. Not too thin, not too dry of a finish, and carbonated just enough, this beer can be as thirst-quenching as you need it to be. Overall, though, as taste is the most important aspect to me, and this tasted "off," I was not as pleased with this beer as I hoped and expected to be after hearing its name thrown around so much.

By the way, according to my bottle, it appears this beer has 5.1% alcohol, not the 5.0% given on this site. Not sure if it's a mistake or just a modification to the brew that's been made. My guess is the latter.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle. Copper color, thin head with short retention. Sweet caramel malt aroma. Flavor of bread, caramel and vanilla. Slightly sweet with a very mild bitterness. Light to medium body with mild carbonation. It could be a tad less sweet and more complex but, in limited circumstances, it holds its own. An enjoyable pale ale.

3.62/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Look-Pours a clear light brown/Amber. A small patchy head quickly dissipates, little to no lacing throughout. Not the prettiest looking brew.
Smell- at first I detected a slight metallic aroma. However, as the drink warmed, a sweet maltiness with hints of caramel, honey and toffee comes through nicely.
Taste- an interest blend of flavors. There is a toasted malt flavor that is almost overpowered by a dry and bitter hops finish. There is a slightly astringent aftertaste that causes me to downgrade the taste rating slightly. There is also an element of mineral water that is interesting.
Feel- this one goes down easily and smoothly. My favorite attribute.
Overall, I liked this. I think that it is better than what most people here give it credit for. Of course it's not the best, but it is a pleasant session beer.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

I was sad to see this get such low marks. I have enjoyed this beer for quite sometime and it, though I won't buy it all that much, will never leave my rotation. It has a very understated but refined taste that I find very comforting.

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

I cant believe this beer is rated so low!
It is a clean good example of an english pale ale.
It isnt super hoppy or malty
However...it is perfect with bar food, pizza, mexican...
Plus ... it was taken on many expeditions to the south pole ...nothing like bbq penquin and a bass ale - yummo!

Sam Shackleton

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

This is my standard for Pale Ales. Goes down smooth and easy. I am more of an Ale person so am guessing ale lovers enjoy this one more then others based on the other ratings I have read.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle label data: made in USA

Crystal clear, copper-colored body; lots of rapidly rising carbonation, one-finger thick head. Heady caramel and biscuit aroma; mild fruitiness. The taste mimics the aroma with a noticeable sweetness; mild hop bitterness; apple-like fruitiness in the finish. Medium body with a rather dry finish.

A decent pale ale that highlights malt flavors. It's a tad over-sweet yet still enjoyable on the whole.

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear copper small cream head, smells sour with pine malts slight hops, tastes of oats malt yeast and sourness, average mouthfeel. Subpar beer

I had tried another one of these and it was significantly colder both the beer and outside, it was more drinkable that way.

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

One of my personal favorites, having a freshly poured draft Bass is a perfect pair to any heavier meals, and is also easy on the palate with hearty notes of bitters and hops
hops.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 6/20/2014. Pours slightly hazy deep copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings around the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation. Aromas of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance of dark/bready malt, fruity yeast, and earthy hop notes; with solid strength. Taste of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, herbal, floral, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Fair amount of herbal/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of caramel, toffee, toasted biscuit, plum, pear, apple, light pepper, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Nice robustness and balance of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; with a good malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and lightly metallic mouthfeel that is okay. Alcohol is well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5%. Overall this is a very solid English pale ale. All around good balance and robustness of dark/bready malt, earthy hops, and fruity yeast flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A pleasantly enjoyable offering.

1.5/5  rDev -55.9%

Reviewing the US "version" of this beer. Not going to waste much on this. Any reference to Bass or the red triangle need to be removed. This is NOT the Bass you remember or like. It's just another generic American beer. Don't bother.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited