Bass Pale Ale | Bass Brewers Limited

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,721 |  Reviews: 1,080
3.53/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Okay, I've tried the can and now on to tap. I couldn't believe the difference.

The look is about the same: copper amber with reddish hues and a very nice, thick head that retains well. The difference is there's some nice sticky lacing in this one.

The smell is much improved. Nice earthy smell with hops and malt up front.

Hops are pretty straightforward in this one, along with the earthy notes in the smell. The malts are fairly light. There's a bit of an astringent sting but it balances out fairly well. A light underlying sweetness helps.

I'd call this one light-bodied. There's light carbonation and the mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and thick, very creamy. Finish is light and dry with a little hops bitterness.

This is one to try, but not from a can. On tap it's good.

4.07/5  rDev +21.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Crystal clear orange-copper color. Pour produces a small white head, which dissipates within minutes to a patchy cap.

The aroma very yeasty and surprisingly hoppy. Malt character is well defined, and I'm also getting caramel notes from a good swirl.

Taste is very mild and sweet. Very very mellow tasting. Compared to an American Pale Ale, the hop character is very subdued and mild. Sweet and smooth. At the very end there is a lingering bitterness that you have to pay attention to catch, otherwise you'll pass it by.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. I can't get over how smooth it is. Light body and light carbonation. Very simple.

Definitely drinkable. Definitely a good session beer. I must admit, I came into this thinking this would be just another average beer, but I actually enjoyed it. Sure, it doesn't have a lot of taste, and its extremely simple. But if I wanted a bigger, tastier beer, I wouldn't have reached for this one. I did, and it gave me exactly what I was looking for. A solid, simple, enjoyable beer that I will most likely be buying again.

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

I'm drinking this as I type on my iPhone in LAX. What can you say about this old standby. It's mild, good flavor, nothing super memorable. Basically, has anyone in the history of beer drank this and said , "man this sucks"? I doubt it. It's what every macro should aspire to. It's also quite pretty, great color and head.

4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

I always liked Bass in my younger beer-drinking years. Finally decided to revisit and review this old favorite.

Served cellar temp from a 22.3oz brown bottle.

Pours a slightly hazy copper orange color with thick white head on top. It settles very slowly leaving a rocky head similar to some better Belgians.

Aroma has a dry English yeast character to it. Mostly malty with a subtle hop, maybe goldings.

Flavor is nicely balanced with good bitterness. Toasted biscuit malt and earth british hops work well together. It's certainly not what American's would think of when given a pale ale but it's well done for the English version.

Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied, and mildly carbonated. Nothing like having it on cask but still good from the bottle. Drinkability is very good with low alcohol and a dry finish that keeps me coming back for one more sip.

3.27/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance is a dark golden amber with a fair head and no lace. Smell has a sweet malt aroma with dark fruitiness. Taste has a sharp bite of malt with a light dull metallic taste. Mouthfeel has good body and carbonation. Makes for an easy enough session, but not one I would specifically look for again.

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Pours a decent medium brown with a nice thick head. Very clear and clean.

S - Not much of an aroma but there are hints of malt, a little roasted aroma, and a nuttiness finish.

T - Very mellow tasting and first taste it is very yeasty. Very little hop presence, kind of surprising since it's a "pale ale". Maybe the English take on this style is a little different than Americans. Nice nuttiness and creamy texture though.

M/D - Very smooth, crisp, and clean. Quite a bit of carbonation but very "light" feeling on the palate...very nice actually.

Not a bad beer, but I think a little over priced.

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Dark amber/copper colour. A decent frothy head, moderate carbonation.

S: Very yeasty and hoppy, with some fruitiness and caramel notes.

T: Enough complexity, with caramel nuttiness and hoppy bitterness.

M: Goes down well, if you're familiar with pale ales. Must not be served too cold.

D: Not amazing. A good example of the style, certainly deserves the respect it gets around the world.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured a 500-ml can into a pub ale glass.

Appearance - really nice amber colour with a sustaining quarter-inch surface head. Great looking.

Smell - clean malty scents with a hint of caramel.

Taste - very interesting flavour up front with a smooth, cottony and floral taste. However, it gives way to a less spectacular collision of a medicinal-grapey sense.

Mouthfeel - I have to admit the smoothness up front is really impressive but then it gives way to a really chaotic throatfeel as it goes down.

Drinkability - it's one that has good qualities but I'd pass on to a better product if available.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

A- Nice amber color with a foamy head that settles with thin lacing.

S- Pretty small nose. subtle smells of pale malts and slight hops.

T- Buttery diacetyl smoothness. Subtle sweet, grainy malts up front with a bit of earthy hops to balance. nice.

D- Pretty good session beer. nothing really jumps out but a decent brew.

mmmm....bass. what a classic beer. i've had this quite a few times both on tap and off and its consistantly good. well-- consistant when its fresh...i've bought old bottles of bass and they've tasted TERRIBLE. anyway, dont let that scare you from trying one of the greatest balanced ales around.

looks good. nice amber color with a whispy head that settles into a thin lacing. pretty well carbonated. nice

smells pretty good. subtle smells all around of malts and slight hops. not the strongest smell, but it smells well balanced.

tastes great! delicious subtley sweet, grainy malts come up front followed by a bite of hops to give it a nice balanced flavor. the malts leave a lingering sweetness in the mouth. as the beer warms it tastes even better. great all around!

mouthfeel is good. well carbonated. not much else to say.

drinkability is a 5. i could drink these all night!

overall-- this is a go-to beer for good flavor and exceptional drinkability. you've probably been living under a rock if you havent tried this yet-- but dont let that stop you from going out and buying some

3.55/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer pours a medium dark amber colour, with a small amount of wispy white head. The smell is light, and floral, with a bit of sweet malt. The taste is mostly sweet caramel malt, a little muted British hops, and a bit too much carbonation, leading to an off dry finish. The body is on the thin side, but it's still a very drinkable pub ale.

3.41/5  rDev +2.1%

From a 12 oz. bottle poured into an imperial pint. Amber colored, clear with a small beige head of tight bubbles. Aroma is light of buttery toffee and earthy/floral hops. Taste is smooth, clean malt with a touch of caramel and hop flavor coming through. Light, easy drinking, balanced, without being offensive to the palate.

2.55/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance- Golden brown and amber tinted, slight foam lacing on the top of the beer, appears heavily carbonated as many bubbles stream up the glass.

Smell- A slight malty sweet smell though nothing to incredibly over power in the smell department

Taste- Metallic odd flavor, no hops, mostly only picking up some malts in the finish, an odd though flavor in the finish that cant quite put my finger on, not impressed in the overall flavor, maybe i have a bad batch,

Mouthfeel- A decently smooth light textured beer

Drinkability- With a relatively low alcohol if you enjoyed this beer I would imagine you would find it to be very drinkable as a session beer

Overall I have t o say I was not as impressed by this one as I thought I would be as I had heard some good things about this beer. Not something I personally would be out looking for again.

2.93/5  rDev -12.3%

I had this on-tap at Flip and Bailey's in Rosemont, PA where it came in a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear light ruby red color with a big tan head that has great retention but poor lacing.
Smell: The aroma is of crisp and fresh hops.
Taste: For some reason, on-tap, I perceive strong strawberry and pine flavors that I don't get when I have a bottle.
Mouthfeel: This beer is very crisp.
Drinkability: I enjoy this beer more from the bottle than on-tap, but it still isn't bad.
Don't drink and review.

3.04/5  rDev -9%

12 Ounce Bottle

Appearance: Nice clear reddish amber color with decent head retention and lacing

Smell: Fruity, almost sour green apple with a metallic scent

Taste: Hoppy bitterness with a slight fruity and metallic taste

Comments: Not very strong carbonation especially since the pour showed a lot of carbonation. Taste was a little harsh and bitter at first but towards the end of the glass the the taste was mellower and sweeter (may have been temp.)

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

I enjoy this beer as an occassional alternative to my favorite Dogfish Beer : Raison D'etre, to which I am totally addicted.

This beers pours a wonderful full head that quickly settles to a pencil-thin crown - That head can be revived with just a few swirls of your glass - has a great taste - could be called the "standard" among pale ales. Delicious round flavor through and through. Full bodied. A great session beer. Goes well with many foods.

Appearance: Golden. bubbly...small,fine bubbles of carbonation. Not too much...just enough..it's lively. Certainly has a fine character. Not much lacing but you won't miss it.

Smell: Fruity, round, not a lot of hops, sort of "blended" like a fine scotch or whiskey..

Taste: Smooth, rolls off the tongue and tampers back. No nastly aftertastes.

Mouthfeel: Swell. Hard to beat. No bite, no nibble. No sting. Smooth....

Drinkability: Again, a fine session beer. Enjoy a few of these with your friends or just sit on down and quietly slap 'em back along with a good book or magazine... whatever you're up to .. A fine, fine representation of the style. Well done!

Enjoy this beverage anytime. Not all that expensive and well worth it!

.... Bill

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

poured into a mug its a clear amber red color. The head is bright white and foamy. Good lookin paleale
Smell is very light overall. Some crusty maltiness, a little caramel. Thats it.
Taste is very malty. Not much hoppiness to be found at all. Starts with sweet caramel breadiness, ends with alcoholic ester bitterness.
Mouthfeel is light, not too heavy on the carbonation. Dry lingering finish.
Drinkability is high, very refreshing beer. Obviously a classic.. if napolean and manet liked bass, its gotta be good right? lol

4.15/5  rDev +24.3%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear shinny amber to dark gold with a thick two finger off white head that cascaded over time to a thick frothy lacing.

Smell: Toasted Carmel and crusty bread take the forefront of the aromas on this beer. There is the slight reminiscent of sweet Bourbon and orange peel. A slight nutty pecan smell is hiding behind all the other more dominant smells. This is definitely a malt forward beer. There is no noticeable hop aroma present.

Taste: Toasted Carmel is the first flavor to the pallet upon taking a sip. This is followed by hints of dark fruit (figs, dates, cherries). This beer definitely has some sweet character, but it is not overbearing. The sweet character is again forward on the pallet but quickly fades into a dry finish that lingers a slightly nutty, woody, and again Bourbon like character. There is a slight hop bitterness along with minor alcohol esters after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: This is a very light bodied beer that you can take in large mouthfuls. I think it's appropriate for the pub ale style given that it has a clean dry finish. A slight carbonation fizzel gives it a nice effervescent feel that also cleans your pallett with every swallow.

Drinkability: This beer is extremely drinkable. It has a nice level of complexity without being overpowering. I could easily drink this beer with some bangers and mash or quaff a few down while sitting on the porch during a hot summer day.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I would buy this beer again if I wanted something light to drink with pub food or if I was raking leaves in the fall. It's thirst quenching, pleasant, and actually has a bit more character than some other pub ales I've tried. It's not going to wow you with character, complexity or strength, but then again I don't think that's the goal of pub ales. Instead, drink this beer if you want to toss quite a few back and have an easy drinking beer. I only wish I could get it with a nitro widget to add to the experience. ;)

3.36/5  rDev +0.6%

Left over from a party and were given to me. Poured in my Duvel glass.

No real head on the pour, but I have a lingering foam over the body. Soapy looking bubbles around the ring, and a cloud over the center of the body where the engraved D is working with the carbonation. Clear amber body with carbonation flowing through it. Smell is slightly sweet and a ting of hoppiness is there. Carbonation is the first thing I taste, then a slight sweetness. Soda characteristics. First brew of the night and the hops aren't coming out for me. Easy to drink but not a really appealing-full flavor in it. I will save the rest for after I finish some palette destroying brews. Interesting to go back and look at something you've only had when you started drinking years ago. Lacing on the glass lingers for a while before joining the rest. A decent starter EPA for someone just getting into beers.

3.12/5  rDev -6.6%

A clear, crisp, yellow beer with nearly no head.

An apple aroma sided with a pear scent and a floral background.

The tastes are pretty faint with a pine and citrus combination.

Pretty light with medium carbonation.

Not too heavy, quite easy to drink but not a lot of flavor and it is not incredibly delicious.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Pours a clear dull orange with a small off-white head.
S: Not too much of a smell. A little bit of sweet maltiness. Maybe a bit of citrus fruits.
T: Similar to the smell and not too strong. Not really watery, just not a ton of flavor. Finishes with a hoppy bitterness that doesn't last too long.
M: Pretty drinkable and light while remaining a bit creamy.
D: I like EPAs a lot but this was a bit of a disappointment for the style.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a nonic from a 12 oz. bottle picked up at Trader Joe's. Pours a clear orange amber with a thin head. Head sheds quickly however to a thin surface cap, yielding some spotty lacing.

Smell is primarily of orange and caramel malts. Clean and rather unvarying and with some intermingled hops evident upon agitation. Taste of caramel follows seamlessly from the nose and finishes smoothly. Unvarying as was the nose, the flavor is decent and is followed by a lingering light bitterness. Less bitter than I recall on tap and with a touch less body, making for and easy drinking ale, though I think the sweetness would become an issue in time, and the carbonation doesn't keep a stronghold long enough for the pour.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz 12-PACK. Poured bottle into a Pint glass. No ABV on the bottle, does this has to do with the 12pack packaging?

A: Nice light copper color, good head retention.

S: Smell was somekind of a turndown to me, not the kind of smell I like in a beer, and I could feel it in the aftertaste.

T: I like the biterness, but the aftertaste it's kind of weird for me, reminds me of the smell of slightly rotten herbs. The alcohol content (which I know thanks to the site) is masked in the flavor.

M: Light bodied.

D: Medium drinkability, I am still trying to give this beer a chance, since I like the style a lot I will try to understand it's nature before I condemned it. I am not sure that I will buy a 12 pack again.

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

A- Dark copper color to it with not a great deal of head.

S- Sweet malty scent with a slight hint of hops.

T- Pretty good balance for this beer. Not too hoppy or malty. A little sweet, but I think that helps this beer.

M- Has a little bit of a kick to it going down as most EPA's do, but still pretty decent.

D- Pretty drinkable. You can definitely have several of these in a sitting.

Overall a very solid EPA. I would definitely have it again.

2.84/5  rDev -15%

I used to like Bass, but I think maybe my palate has been ruined by stronger tasting beer.

This most recent tasting...I really didn't taste much, honestly. For a pale ale, even an English pale ale, I couldn't detect much hop flavor. Side-by-side, it tasted uncomfortably like my mother's MGD, with the added mineral-y flavors. Just not impressed.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited