Baderbräu Chicago Pilsner | Baderbräu Brewing Company

baderbrau.com

Style: Czech Pilsener

Added by TMoney2591 on 06-25-2012

4.92/5  rDev +29.1%

(Served in a fluted strange)

A- This beer pours a slightly hazy orange body with a swirling carbonation of tiny bubbles and a head so thick and creamy the last little pour swirls and rest on top of the foam. The head last for the full beer.

S- The full green woody hops are fresh and bright with some green citrus notes to follow and a minty hue in there aswell. The pils malt comes though softly in the finish but gets stronger on the exhale.

T- The full bold green juicy hops with some dry hop grassy notes blend with the fresh pils malt flavor that has just enough sweetness to give it a freshness without tasting sweet. There is a nice pungent green hops flavor that lingers after the slightly dry finish but it isn't bitter.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a gentle fizz that boost the hops profile in the finish.

O- This is a great beer that I would say is the holotype of an American Pilsner. I don't like the BJCP guidelines and this is what I want from an American Pilsner. Great America hops blended with clean fresh pilsner malt and dry hopping to give it that much more flavor. Very sessionable and balanced. I drank two 6-pack and know I can't find any. There are very few beers I keep on hand but this will be one of them, it is truly a gem.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

World class and delicious... nuf said!

4.7/5  rDev +23.4%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Back on the market after a few months' hiatus.

It pours a bright and saturated orange tone, plenty of white foam and some drippy lace patterns in the glass. Lasting head retention, coverage remains for most of the glass.

Grassy and earthy noble hop aroma, bready and clean pilsner malt.

Very crisp and snappy with noticeable hop bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste. Crackery and dry, very clean and thirst quenching. Light bodied but it has a substantial feel, ample carbonation. Not sweet or buttery like so many other Czech Pils. A prototype of the style, very nicely done.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bought as part of a pick-mix at the local alcohol megamart just to try. Honestly, my tastes run more toward Scotch and Belgian ales, but I'm from Chicago, so pilsners are the beers of my youth -- and this is from a Chicago brewery. Was honestly surprised by this one. Crisp and refreshing (especially after sanding a cabinet outside for hours), and its faint hoppy bitterness at the end never got too strong -- leaving just a faintly bitter taste that balanced the malty sweetness. I don't know much about the look since I drank it straight from the can like a heathen, but the bit I saw was clear. I get the feeling that, if I was more of a pilsner lover, this would become my go-to beer.

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Every can I've opened has had a nice froth emerging. Hop aroma with grain and malts. Malt coats the palate with hop lingering. Lively carbonation. Finishes dry with floral/grassy notes. This ended up being my Fourth of July fireworks partner. Fabulous in every way! Would buy again.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle courtesy of my dad, who showed genuine excitement upon the prodigal return of this beer...despite the fact that he "never drinks beer".

Into a New Glarus glass, I have no idea what to call this type of glass, pours nice transparent yellow with a healthy swarm of tiny bubbles. Big egg white fluff has some serious longevity and the lacing is copious.

Noble hops are spicy on the nose with a dash of white pepper.

Nice pepper spice from the nose up front with a clean malt and soft bitter fade.

Mouthfeel is lush and creamy with a slight soapiness on the finish.

I really enjoyed this. Maybe it's that pilseners are growing on me, maybe it's that this is quite nice, or maybe it's both. This didn't last long in my glass and I wouldn't mind another.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

An interesting story on their website. And if anyone likes sleuthing for recipes, read their story.
I like that they revived an original craft pilsener from the early 1990s that MJ had reviewed highly.
It looks and smell like a typical pilsner, but it tasted better to me as it warmed. The hops balanced well with the malt and the carbonation low (which I prefer.)
What I especially like is that they are converting an abandoned warehouse on Chicago's southside into a brewery and the taproom is on the edges of the tourist district regenerating around the convention center. This, too, is a good story about beer.

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

So far my favorite Pilsner.

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Based upon the original Elmhurst, IL brew. Various locations of the Country House restaurant had this on tap and I would compare it directly with true German-style pils. A co-worker I knew at the time grew up with the original owner and got me a full set of the authentic Baderbrau pils glasses. I have not had either of the resurrections of this pilsner.

3.94/5  rDev +3.4%

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #67 (August 2012):

LOOK: Crystal-clear pale amber, well-laced glass

SMELL: Aromatic malts, herbal hops, spicy, clean, bready, wild honey

TASTE: Godly smoothness, loaf of bread, balanced bitterness, herbal, peppery, salt, honey, touch of toastiness, green tea, grassy, mildly citric; clean, semidry finish

A resurrected Chicagoland area brew from a decade ago that Michael Jackson the beer critic claimed was the “best pilsener I’ve ever tasted in America.” Fast forward 10 years and perhaps that is not the case anymore, though what we have here is a very good American craft beer. Not the kind of Pils we expected, but very good nonetheless.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Baderbrau, boy do I remember you. Originally brewed by Pavichevich in Elmhurst, IL and then for too short of awhile by GI, I was glad to see that Argus had picked-up this beer.

12 oz brown longneck poured into my SA perfect pint, the beer is a bright gold with a fluffy and stick off-white head.

You can tell from the nose that it contains Nobel and Saz hops, they are both peppery and floral at the same time.

The beer has strong malty base that adds some grainy balance to the hops. It is a bit sweet with some plums and something earthy in the finish. The 42 IBUs are evident and appreciated.

The mouth is medium body with really well dialed in carbonation.

Glad to see this one return. It is always nice to have more quality pilsner/lager options.

3.86/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This beer has a great history on its "rebirth" (hence the Phoenix on the label). Be sure to check it out sometime.

Beer pours nicely with a good carbonation that'd you expect from a Pilsener. The smell is a nice and malty, but kinda fades out during drinking. For its style, this is a solid choice and at a nice pricepoint.

Baderbräu Chicago Pilsner from Baderbräu Brewing Company