Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Whiskey Barrel Aged Goatnik | Iron Goat Brewing Co.

4.45/5

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by leedorham on 06-27-2013

Reviews by woemad:
4.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this for $8 (the beer plus a double shot of Dry Fly Wheat Whiskey) at it's official unveiling at Jones Radiator in Spokane. This beer is what happens when you age Goatnik (Iron Goat's already kickass RIS) in casks that previously held Dry Fly Bourbon. The beer pours were supposed to be in pint glasses, but the bartender was feeling bad about having missed me sitting at the bar trying to order this for about 15 minutes while he was taking orders from people walking up to the bar. So, to make amends, he poured one into my Mug Club glass = 23oz pour! Was I damned or blessed?

Poured a viscousy shade of black, like crude oil, with a dark tan head.

HUGE aroma of, you guessed it, bourbon. There were also some dark malt notes, giving a bit of coffeeish aroma, but the time spent in whiskey barrells left it's mark -and then some.

The taste is a little more well rounded. Whle there's plenty of bourbon-ish flavor, there's also elements of coffee, dark fruit, vanilla, even pipe tobacco. Nevertheless, the bourbon flavor is the most dominant aspect of the taste. It's its world - the other flavors just get to exist in it. Bitter zap at the swallow.

Big, full body to his beer, with a super-coating, sticky mouthfeel.

23oz of this beer was a lot! Even factoring in conversing with several friends while I drank it, I think it took me over an hour to drink it all. I'd love to have this beer as a nightcap, after an evening featuring a big, tasty meal. This is a beer robust enough to stand up to a rich cigar. In fact, the night I had this, I found myself wishing I had a nice stogie while sitting at a table on Jones's new patio area. Hopefully, Iron Goat has more kegs of this at their brewery, and plans to do this again down the road.

4.47/5  rDev 0%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Jones Radiator. Missed the previous preview release so was glad to be able to get down there for this one.

A - Black with a thin brown head. Filled to the top of the glass.

S - Vanilla notes, whiskey character. A little bit of coffee.

T - Very nice. The whiskey is definitely present. Good amount of roast, little bit of sweetness. Vanilla.

M - Full bodied with a slight amount of oily slickness.

O - I enjoyed the regular Goatnik very much and think it held up well with the spirit barrel treatment.

Whiskey Barrel Aged Goatnik from Iron Goat Brewing Co.