Double Duckpin | Union Craft Brewing Company

Alströms:

Reviews by Swift989:
4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

32 ounce Howler/Growlete/whatever you guys call it.

I've had this on tap before and liked it. Not enough to review but now it's time. Coming to you guys live, what do I think of this beer! I pour this brew and its outstanding! WestCoast sunset body with a touch of white cloudy skies. Deep and brassy! Looks like I am going to enjoy this brew.

Now I smell my prey before me! Huge citrus hits first that reminds me of Grapefruits and ripe tangerines. A tropical vibe going on in the middle with tropical fruit and flowers. Very nice and refreshing. The backend there is notes of cedar and resin. Nice hoppy touch.

Taste test time! First hits the palate with citrus, Tangerine and Grapefruits.Flows through a touch of tropical fruits mainly Passion Fruit and a subtle Papaya. Which leaves a dank resinous hop flavor that dominates the aftertaste. The malts are sweet with a crackerish touch. This finishes semi-dry with a clean, lingering bitterness. The feel is medium built on the palate with mellow fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This is probably one of the better DIPAs to come out of Central Baltimore. It's firing on all cylinders yet it seems a bit restrained. It wants to be great, yet not adventurous. I Would drink this daily if it weren't on Rotation status. I can't wait until they can this brew. This brew is clean, balanced and on the verge of being raw. This brew is Recommended!

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I went into my favorite store looking for Sculpin, and they were out. My beer guy suggested this as an alternative, and I accepted only to be polite because the guy has been generous in setting aside some rare finds for me in the past. I was extremely surprised by this. Great lacing, body, etc., etc, but most importantly, this was simply delicious.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Shroud0fDoom for this one from the NBS BIF #1 box. 120z can poured into 10oz goblet. Poured hazy/lightly cloudy orangeish-amber color with 1/4 inch of light khaki head that had good retention and lacing.

A huge frontal assault of pine and weed hit me in the nose as soon as I cracked the can. Those aspects had an even stronger presence as I poured into the glass, and there was no malt scent to be found. On the tongue the story was pretty similar, although some malt did come through to provide a base for all those bold hops., and, as a bonus, there was a citrus component on the finish.

The body was solid without being heavy, and the beer had a clean, dry finish. Drinkability was very good. Were they regularly available to me, I would drink them regularly. This is a must try if you see it, and probably worth setting up a trade for.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

la mousse n'existe pas. Un nez fort; d'agrumes, un peu de malt. Le gout produit qqch précis- comme des houblons sarachi ace. C-à-dire un peu diacétyle, mais vraiment une somme parfaite. Le malt est là légèrement. Jsuis étonné que la marque est telle. Une bière savoureux.

4.56/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My utmost thanks to Smittay-no-Facebook of my Friday evening tasting group for bring some CANs back from his work near Baltimore! Remember, kids, if you are planning to embark on a CANQuest (tm) of your own, it pays to advertise!

From the CAN: "Strike No Malt < > Spare No Hop"; "When we first brewed Duckpin, our little session-style pale ale, it really hit the spot for a go-to, anytime refresher. But we soon felt like we were just practicing. Knocking down all those little Duckpins just made us thirsty for something bigger! So we went back to the brewhouse and doubled down on malts and hops. The result is a double IPA that's danker than a rental shoe and rolling with ten frames of juicy, resinous hops down a solid lane of malted barley and wheat. When it's time to bring your A game, reach for a double!"

The Crack! was appropriately loud, like the tight, little ball hitting the duckpins. I decided to strike while there was no time to spare & CANducted an inverted Glug. I ended up with a 7-10 split as well as three-plus fingers of dense, tawny head that hung around just long enough for the automatic pinsetter to do its thing. The lane, I mean, the glass was coated with lots of sticky lacing. How I am I going to pick up that split with this kind of surface to work with? Color was a gorgeous Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity, the same color as that trophy that I am hoping to take home tonight, if The Jesus doesn't beat me to it. Sh*t! It also called forth The Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all squabbling amongst themselves for a taste. I sent them to the Alley Lounge to get them out of our hair. Nose smelled of pine resin, grapefruit, caramel & a biting fusel heat that really filled my sinuses nicely, thanks. Phew! Mouthfeel was medium, but very prickly in terms of its carbonation, on my tongue. The taste was shockingly eye-opening. Man, the intensity of the orange/grapefruit/tangerine citrusiness would have been plenty, but when the right hook was followed by a left jab of pine tar and then a right cross in terms of the caramel, I was reeling & losing track of my metaphors. Was I bowling or boxing? Did The Jesus ambush me with a bowling ball to the back of the head? Maybe it was that tightly-wound vet, Walter, with his ever-present .45. Man, this is a tough bowling center in which to try and kegel. As I made my next approach, I realized that either there were Double Duckpins or I was seeing Double! I know this answer - close one eye & squint with the other. It always works when I am driving. I mean, just let fly with the ball & hope for the best. A strike! Take that, you pinheads! I'm taking my trophy, ducking out of here & going for a nap. Finish finished me with its dank, hot booziness and the lingering burn of hops and alcohol in my throat. Phew! Dry? Try gasping. Whee! More, please, Smittay!

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a hazy amber color; the head perks to an inch or so and leaves some splashes of lacing

Smell: Tropical tones galore, with mango, grape and pineapple most apparent

Taste: A bready malt base that is rather subtle as the tropical flavors dominate; the grape is quite pronounced (and different) but the mango and pineapple are more to be expected; floral and fruity, with the finish bringing pine and onion; dank and resinous throughout

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A nice Double IPA to cap off my trip to Baltimore; had this one and the Gose and came away impressed by this brewery

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

To keep this simple: If you enjoy a strong citrus complex with your hops in a superbly balanced IPA then this is for you.....take it from Mr Cakes!
Addendum :I have lowered my score on this beer. My initial review was on a wonderful batch. However, the last 2 batches that have come out in the last 8 months are different. It's almost to the point of a different beer. Union's quality control needs work. They are being inconsistent with their batches of this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -4%

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

STYLE Double IPA | ABV 8.5% | AVAILABILITY Rotating | BEERADVOCATE.COM SCORE 93

Bold, Brash, Rind, Booze

“Double” is an understatement, this beer delivers full throttle hop bitterness. While Double Duckpin isn’t a palate destroyer per se, it still takes a sick type of hophead to keep up. Not to be crass, but to me, burping up hops is a sure sign of an IPA that’s destined to do more than simply wake up your taste buds. My nostrils are burnt with thick hop resin, my palate is dominated, and the 8.5 percent is a bit “in your face,” although it’s never hot. Yes, I had a lot of fun sipping on the onslaught of hops in this elixir. Worth the hunt.

Look 3.75 | Smell 4.00 | Taste 4.25 | Feel 4.25 | Overall 4.25

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #105 (OCT 2015)

3.87/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Full disclaimer, this is not my style of IPA. But, I can appreciate it for what it is. It's sticky, resinous, piney hops, on top of sticky, piney, resinous hops. For that flavor profile, it's truly in a class by itself. You have to really enjoy this sort of flavor profile to really like this beer. For what it is, it's pretty nice. But, it's definitely not my style.

4.19/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Fantastic ! Oh my, really enjoying this canned dipa. A great mixture of things going on with this. Tropical scented hops on the nose. Full flavored yet easy drinking for the abv. Trading in the winter can cause some concern undoubtedly. But when you come home from work to see beer mail waiting for you it's always a pleasant thing. Made even more pleasant by the fact that I opened up the box just to have this already chilled for me. Yeah !

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Double Duckpin from Union Craft Brewing Company